Why do conservatives tend to lack compassion?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Liberals seem to see the world through rose colored glasses and think they have the ability to fix all ills by throwing $$ at the issue.

Conservatives would like to ensure that the $$ are put to a use to improve the future, not just the present.

The old adage of "Give a man a fish and he is no longer hungry. Teach a man to fish and his family is never hungry."*

You coddle a person, they lose the ability to function on their own.

* deliberately mis-stated because the libbys need things broken.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Lack of compassion? What a crock of shit. Conservatives donate a whole hell of a lot more to charity than liberals do.
...as well as a lot more of their time. This thread is a lie...the title should be changed to "Why do liberals tend to lack compassion?" Sometimes the truth just hurts too much I imagine.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Because giving money (and not even their own money) to people who make poor choices encourages people to commit more poor choices.

And honestly I think the real reason is that liberals do not think people should be judged for their actions.

Which is why when they label conservatives as anti-immigrant, when they are anti-illegal immigrant.

Or, when the Republican Presidential candidates were asked if a person had the money to buy health insurance and decided not to, should they be allowed to die if they needed health care they couldnt afford, and they all said they should suffer the consequences of their choice. That liberals said Republicans want people to die without healthcare.

Liberals, leave the modifiers out, because they dont feel they are important in judging people's actions, and therefore it is wrong to hold them accountable for their choices. Unfortunately due to the Law of Conservation of Consequence, the consequences then get redistributed on to moral hardworking people.

In short:

Liberals have compassion for immoral lazy people.

Conservatives have compassion for moral hardworking people.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The typical liberal believes that good intentions are sufficient to being a good person. The typical conservative knows that actions speak louder than words. If you want to help another person, then go help that other person, don't sit on your ass hoping someone else uses yet another person's (i.e. not your) money to help and call yourself superior.
Pretty much this. Dr. Paul is the most conservative member of Congress since 1937 and he was the only one willing to give his own money to medals for Rosa Parks and Teresa. Wealthy liberals (Bush, Romney who raised taxes, Ted Kennedy) love being generous with other peoples' money more than conservatives who are not even old money do (Dr. Paul, Judge Napolitano)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
OP, what proposal do liberals/progressives have that will give unlimited health care to all people? How is it paid for and how is it implemented?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Liberal - Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Conservative - Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You are right, conservatives lack compassion. Trolololol.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Clearly all people can be divided into one of two neat little columns, liberal or conservative, and every member of those columns has monolithic views :rolleyes:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Liberal - Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Conservative - Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You are right, conservatives lack compassion. Trolololol.

I think it is more like,

Liberal - Promise to give a woman a man's fish, and you have a vote for the next election.

And if you disagree with that you are engaged in a "War on Women.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
yeah i don't like minorities, poor people, and old people. if you're colored, old, and poor i probably want to pull out my CCW, blast you where you stand and then claim self defense... probably

That or we've a lot of Leftist bigots claiming it out of ignorance and stupidity.

The old adage of "Give a man a fish and he is no longer hungry. Teach a man to fish and his family is never hungry."

You butchered that.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We have seen it time and time again, conservatives attack the poor and less fortunate.

If government largess is your definition of compassion, then I implore you go join the North Koreans in their gulags. Our idea of compassion is not enslaving people to dependence on their elite ruling class, but to ensure their freedom and liberty, something you very much take for granted and will most certainly lose if you prevail.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
If government largess is your definition of compassion, then I implore you go join the North Koreans in their gulags. Our idea of compassion is not enslaving people to dependence on their elite ruling class, but to ensure their freedom and liberty, something you very much take for granted and will most certainly lose if you prevail.

What do you expect from a group of people who use the term "less fortunate" to describe people who drop out of high school and have children with multiple thug fathers. Seems like "more stupid" would be a more apt term.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The founders never envisioned a monstrous federal government that steals money from working people to give it to people that won't work with the sole intention of enslaving them to become dependent on the monstrous federal government. I doubt that even 'for the general welfare' Hamilton would be happy with our current government.

I hope they don't lock this thread. I think it is a good question.

Republicans just voted down the Buffet rule.

They vote themselves tax breaks and re-distribute wealth to the top (themselves) while doing all they can to trounce all others.

This is not what the founding fathers had in mind for this country.

It has become something perverse at the hands of these people.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
there's nothing more racist and lacking compassion then encouraging legacy welfare and public assistance assuring fear/envy and lack of self respect and moral compass. Liberals encourage this behavior to assure a permanent underclass that will always vote for democrats to assure their legacy parasitical behavior sucking off the tax payer.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
We have seen it time and time again, conservatives attack the poor and less fortunate.

We have? Or are these just personal delusions? Wanting people to contribute in some way to society is not "attacking" anyone.

Telling those with terrible illnesses who can't care that they should basically just die. How they would take food from the mouths of the poor and let them starve to death.

Can you provide examples of someone saying those things? Not the usual "what they really mean is" BS, show me some specific example of someone saying those things.

It's been shown time and again that conservatives actually contribute to charity and volunteer their time in the community at a higher rate than liberals. How does that translate into "lacking compassion"?

Is your post part of an assignment to troll as much as possible?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
We have seen it time and time again, conservatives attack the poor and less fortunate. Telling those with terrible illnesses who can't care that they should basically just die. How they would take food from the mouths of the poor and let them starve to death.

We lack compassion only when it conflicts with doing what is right.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I want to thank the OP for starting this thread. It gave me a chance to see just how many people in this forum "get it."

Sometimes I forget how many people there actually are around here who haven't been brainwashed by the media.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Liberals seem to see the world through rose colored glasses and think they have the ability to fix all ifies by throwing $$ at the issue.

Conservatives would like to ensure that the $$ are put to a use to improve the future, not just the present.

The old adage of "Give a man a fish and he is no longer hungry. Teach a man to fish and his family is never hungry."

You voddle a person, they lose the ability to function on their own.

The only rose colored glasses are the ones conservatives wear who still think the thoroughly debunked theory of 'trickle down economics' works.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You butchered that.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time.

I knew it was butchered; liberals expect such, butchering of the facts. :p