Why do conservatives tend to lack compassion?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Liberalism" can mean many different things. Now, somehow the conservatives have given liberalism a bad name. How they did that absolutely mystifies me. But then I live in Berkeley, which may have something to do with that. If I lived in Utah or Oklahoma or Georgia, middle America, whatever, I would probably have a better idea of the semantics of all this. That doesn't mean I'd be a conservative, though. I've always thought it egregious to have your politics determined by selfish motives. Well, if you can't think beyond selfish motivations, you're just narrow minded.

"Liberals" gave the word liberal a bad name when they changed the meaning. When liberal stopped being about liberty and freedom and changed to mean "we're going to take things away from you for your own good" they did the damage themselves.

Under the original meaning of the word, how liberal is it to build a national highway system by using eminent domain and bulldozing peoples homes by the thousands? You may like massive public works projects, but it is by no means liberal.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
We have seen it time and time again, conservatives attack the poor and less fortunate. Telling those with terrible illnesses who can't care that they should basically just die. How they would take food from the mouths of the poor and let them starve to death.

Sorry OP, forgot to address your question in my previous post. Maybe it seems the conservatives lack compassion because they want to get rid of social programs that millions upon millions of their fellow conservatives rely on to maintain a modest almost bare cupboard standard of living?

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Liberals "seem" to be very compassionate and giving (buying votes)...as long as it's someone else's money they're spending.

When it comes down to their own cash, they suddenly get very conservative....... I guess they gotta draw the line somewhere.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
So if you can't work from injury or some other debilitating sickness/disease, you don't deserve to eat?

That isn't what it is about. You are reading more into the passage from your own thoughts. " This " if you can't work from injury or some other debilitating sickness/disease, you don't deserve to eat" was not addressed.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry OP, forgot to address your question in my previous post. Maybe it seems the conservatives lack compassion because they want to get rid of social programs that millions upon millions of their fellow conservatives rely on to maintain a modest almost bare cupboard standard of living?

I dont think you can call people who have children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces conservative.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Enabling is the most mean-spirited thing you could do to a person.

Yeah right I'm sure President Bush felt his parents were doing him no favors sending him to Andover prep school, Yale, all the family connections in banking to borrow 5x and go bankrupted 5x only to borrow from his brothers S&L again.

It's just the opposite. Wealthy shower their own with benefits and give their children every advantage money can buy, they understand the value of a “head start” in the fiercely competitive jungle they have created. They just don't want you/yours to have it. They really fear competition for all they talk about it. Why do you think they try and axe SBA loan program all time? NonEnabling, is why poor ppl stay poor and enabling is why rich ppl stay rich by in large.

I give my children every advantage I can too so they have a head start. Or course I expect a return on investment (grades) but I fully enable them.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I dont think you can call people who have children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces conservative.

I think you have to ask them that personally if you want their honest opinion about it. And besides, they should account for say, generously speaking, 10% of the total? Which still leaves millions of other conservatives who still rely on gov't handouts to live a meager existence. You fellow conservatives wouldn't want to drive them into abject poverty by taking away their gov't handouts now would you?;)

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
A better question might be is why do liberals tend to be ignorant assholes who are only happy when they are bitching and spending other people's money but not their own (cue Joe Biden)? Makes about as much sense as the original question. What is really turning the voters off about politics altogether is this zero sum game that's being waged with no room for any common sense. To label a whole wide swath of people as mean or ignorant really does a major disservice to the debate.

Instead of debating ideals we should be debating ideas.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I think you have to ask them that personally if you want their honest opinion about it. And besides, they should account for say, generously speaking, 10% of the total? Which still leaves millions of other conservatives who still rely on gov't handouts to live a meager existence. You fellow conservatives wouldn't want to drive them into abject poverty by taking away their gov't handouts now would you?;)

I dont need to ask someone to know if they are a conservative when their actions are clearly saying they are not.

I have no idea how you arrive at the meager 10% total when ~50% of infants are fed by the government. Are you saying they are nearly all liberals who think that the government should support them and as many children as they can pop out?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
How do you tell the difference between a) a liberal whom genuinely wants to do good but whose ideas inevitably lead to more suffering and b) a liberal whom only uses the pretense of wanting to do good for others in order to accumulate power and wealth for himself?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

They do not lack compassion:

It turns out that this idea that liberals give more…is a myth. Of the top 25 states where people give an above average percent of their income, 24 were red states in the last presidential election.
Arthur Brooks, the author of "Who Really Cares," says that "when you look at the data, it turns out the conservatives give about 30 percent more." He adds, "And incidentally, conservative-headed families make slightly less money."

And he says the differences in giving goes beyond money, pointing out that conservatives are 18 percent more likely to donate blood. He says this difference is not about politics, but about the different way conservatives and liberals view government.

"You find that people who believe it's the government's job to make incomes more equal, are far less likely to give their money away," Brooks says. In fact, people who disagree with the statement, "The government has a basic responsibility to take care of the people who can't take care of themselves," are 27 percent more likely to give to charity
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2682730&page=1

You need to start asking the real question - Why are liberals compassionate in words but not in deeds?

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
Can some Conservatives please list the GOP's acts of compassion because I just Googled it and my computer is still laughing it's ass off.

All I came up with was wealth transfer to the top and decimate every Social safety net we have but I don't think that's it....

You keep asking this but in different ways. You are either extremely obtuse or being intentionally obtuse, not sure and I don't care.

He asked about conservatives, not the GOP. Why do you keep searching on Google for GOP and acts of compassion?

Either way, conservatives that AREN'T politicians tend to generally help people directly or help them help themselves.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I have no idea how you arrive at the meager 10% total when ~50% of infants are fed by the government. Are you saying they are nearly all liberals who think that the government should support them and as many children as they can pop out?

No no no, not at all. I was specifically referring to conservatives who, in your words, "have children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces." as a best guess in your favor. For all I know, more than 10% of conservatives have children out of wedlock and/or get no-fault divorces.

When I think deeper into your comment, it seems to me that "having children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces" is something that happens just as much with conservatives as with liberals.

And, as to your comment "I dont need to ask someone to know if they are a conservative when their actions are clearly saying they are not."; again, you're making an assumption that I was addressing in my first post to you when I said that you'd have to ask them personally if they considered themselves conservatives or not.

On the face of it, assuming that I was referring to liberals in my comments seems rather divertive to me, if that was your intention. If not, my bad. :)

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
No no no, not at all. I was specifically referring to conservatives who, in your words, "have children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces." as a best guess in your favor. For all I know, more than 10% of conservatives have children out of wedlock and/or get no-fault divorces.

When I think deeper into your comment, it seems to me that "having children out of wedlock and get no-fault divorces" is something that happens just as much with conservatives as with liberals.

And, as to your comment "I dont need to ask someone to know if they are a conservative when their actions are clearly saying they are not."; again, you're making an assumption that I was addressing in my first post to you when I said that you'd have to ask them personally if they considered themselves conservatives or not.

On the face of it, assuming that I was referring to liberals in my comments seems rather divertive to me, if that was your intention. If not, my bad. :)

If you have children out of wedlock you are not a conservative. You are free to consider yourself whatever you want, but terms have meaning. And having children out of wedlock is inconsistent with being the term conservative.