Why can't we have a flat tax on ALL income after a base amount?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Earned income is heavily taxed for a reason. The reason the rich get so many tax breaks is to think of it this way. The rich are partners with the gov't they get tax breaks for starting business and providing low income housing and the like because it helps a greater number of people either by providing jobs, affordable housing, or creating money. Earned income is taxed so heavily because the government doesnt see you as a business partner but rather as an employee of the government. Think of it this way, the more people you serve the more tax breaks you get hence why the gov't gives so many tax breaks to businesses and the rich. People who earn high salaries only serve themselves hence the progressive income tax that is much higher as your 'earned' income increases. This does not account for corrupt individuals in business or in the gov't but is the basic logic for tax breaks for the rich and business owners and basically little to no tax breaks for income earners.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
thing is, with the flat-tax system the revolutionary conservatives are trying to push everyone will lose there write-offs.

Not everyone businesises will still be able to write off everything and anything otherwise they would be paying out the wazzo in taxes. With out write-offs you would be looking at a 35% mark up just to pay your taxes.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
From Rush's site:

UPDATED FIGURES! Only The Rich Pay Taxes

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

IRS data that will remain here forever, to combat the liberals' tax-cuts-for-the-rich garbage...

Excel file: IRS Income Stats

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this were true then why would there be such a call and push for Flat Taxes?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
From Rush's site:

IRS data that will remain here forever, to combat the liberals' tax-cuts-for-the-rich garbage...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No "ifs", this is true.

You wouldn't understand because you don't make any money, but when you become rich and pay large amounts of your income in taxes, you will want a tax break so you can have more money to spend. Duh.
rolleye.gif
A flat tax means that the rich would pay less. Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me Dave.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
From Rush's site:

You have just proven your outright ignorance.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
So you guys are going to stick to your assertion that the rich are hurting and want the poor folk to pay more?

The price of that Bridge just doubled for you guys.

Have you ever gotten a job from a poor person? No.
Do poor people start businesses? No.
Do poor people pay taxes? No.
Do rich people pay taxes? Yes.
Who pays the most taxes? The rich do.
Who provides jobs for everyone else? The rich do.

The rich are hurting. They make the economy turn, not the guy working at mcdonalds. The poor don't pay taxes, and noone is saying they should.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: miguel
So you guys are going to stick to your assertion that the rich are hurting and want the poor folk to pay more?

The rich are hurting. They make the economy turn, not the guy working at mcdonalds. The poor don't pay taxes, and noone is saying they should.

"The rich are hurting."

Oh, that's rich.

If that is truly the case then this Country is in a lot worse shape and is sunk. No Flat Tax would save it.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

"The rich are hurting."

Oh, that's rich.

If that is truly the case then this Country is in a lot worse shape and is sunk. No Flat Tax would save it.

Ever wonder why anyone who makes a decent amount of money needs an accountant and to look for tax loopholes? Because if they didn't, a ridiculous amount of money they make would go straight to the IRS. I myself need to work 3 hours (3 HOURS!) of a 8-hour day just to pay my payroll taxes! I need to dole out another $30k a year in mortgage interest and charity donations just to prevent paying more at tax time. And I don't even make that much money to begin with. This is ridiculous! Why am I even having this discussion with someone who doesn't understand the benefits of flat taxes. Let me try and simplify it for you: the more you make, the more you are taxed. That is not fair.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

"The rich are hurting."

Oh, that's rich.

Ever wonder why anyone who makes a decent amount of money needs an accountant and to look for tax loopholes? Because if they didn't, a ridiculous amount of money they make would go straight to the IRS. I myself need to work 3 hours (3 HOURS!) of a 8-hour day just to pay my payroll taxes! I need to dole out another $30k a year in mortgage interest and charity donations just to prevent paying more at tax time. And I don't even make that much money to begin with. This is ridiculous! Why am I even having this discussion with someone who doesn't understand the benefits of flat taxes. Let me try and simplify it for you: the more you make, the more you are taxed. That is not fair.

"anyone who makes a decent amount of money needs an accountant and to look for tax loopholes? "

"Because if they didn't, a ridiculous amount of money they make would go straight to the IRS"

Thank you for proving my point. Most "true" Rich have Accountants that do in fact apparently a much better job than your accountant. Sounds like you need to spend more money on a better accountant or stop make believing you're rich when your apparently not there yet.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
You are a moron, sad to say.

"I need to dole out another $30k a year in mortgage interest and charity donations just to prevent paying more at tax time."

At least this Moron is not dishing out 30 grand just for a roof over my head plus and crying about not being rich enough.
rolleye.gif

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

"I need to dole out another $30k a year in mortgage interest and charity donations just to prevent paying more at tax time."

At least this Moron is not dishing out 30 grand just for a roof over my head plus and crying about not being rich enough.
rolleye.gif

Thanks for proving me right, once again.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

rolleye.gif

Thanks for proving me right, once again.

Actually not. You proved what I've said all along about such Trickle Down Economics believers, that they don't trickle anything down other than FUD and your comments and crying about not being able to get away with paying a drop in the bucket for your Tax bracket proves it.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
OMG, I cannot believe the stuff I'm reading here. Trickle down economics means instead of paying the government, you spend your money in the economy, thus increasing production and providing more jobs. Actually, this is kinda hilarious reading your inane posts. Please continue!

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OMG, I cannot believe the stuff I'm reading here. Trickle down economics means instead of paying the government, you spend your money in the economy, thus increasing production and providing more jobs. Actually, this is kinda hilarious reading your inane posts. Please continue!

Yea, Dave is pretty amusing. :) If it wasn't for him I might not bother stopping in at this forum.

I think the problem Dave has with trickle-down is that it doesn't trickle fast enough. It is much, much faster to raise taxes and hand that money over to the poor. While that works great in the short run, it doesn't create a sustainable economy, because the basis is to take from the working and give to the non-working.

How quickly Dave forgets, because he doesn't believe in looking back at history (which he has said), is that America once had zero taxes and existed purely on a trickle down economy. Notably, it was one of the most successful times this nation has ever seen.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No Flat Tax would save it.

Once again, you fail to miss the point. Try reading the topic before yo1u type. What he said was a flat tax on income over a certain amount. He never said tax everybody.
rolleye.gif

Maybe you'd prefer we just tax everybody at 100% for all income over $24,000 a year?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dirtboy

Yea, Dave is pretty amusing. :) If it wasn't for him I might not bother stopping in at this forum.

I think the problem Dave has with trickle-down is that it doesn't trickle fast enough. It is much, much faster to raise taxes and hand that money over to the poor. While that works great in the short run, it doesn't create a sustainable economy, because the basis is to take from the working and give to the non-working.

How quickly Dave forgets, because he doesn't believe in looking back at history (which he has said), is that America once had zero taxes and existed purely on a trickle down economy. Notably, it was one of the most successful times this nation has ever seen.

Dave would be the first to complain that there is lack of high paying construction jobs if the rich did not build huge houses.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

The good old days . . . what we need is to restore slavery, indentured servitude (WalMart isn't quite there), and unshackle American business from the chains of corporate taxation. The people at the bottom are wasting vital productivity time trying to educate their children, watching NASCAR, and bass fishing. They should spend every moment possible working to make me . . . I mean America wealthier.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

The good old days . . . what we need is to restore slavery, indentured servitude (WalMart isn't quite there), and unshackle American business from the chains of corporate taxation. The people at the bottom are wasting vital productivity time trying to educate their children, watching NASCAR, and bass fishing. They should spend every moment possible working to make me . . . I mean America wealthier.

Will you be my press secretary? :evil: Muahahahaha!!!! :evil: You make it sound so delicious! :evil: Muahahaha SOON the world will be MINE!!!!! :evil:

:p J/K

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison

Dave would be the first to complain that there is lack of high paying construction jobs if the rich did not build huge houses.

Have you been out of your house away from the Computer? Have you been to a Construction site lately? If you had you would not make such idiotic remark, show me one person that speaks English or pays taxes building these houses.

There is these run down Vans and pick-ups with ladders hanging off all over them driving on practically flats loaded down to the because it is overloaded with the illegal workers. They throw beer cans and trash everywhere.

That's your high paying Construction jobs in America now.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Have you been out of your house away from the Computer? Have you been to a Construction site lately? If you had you would not make such idiotic remark, show me one person that speaks English or pays taxes building these houses.

There is these run down Vans and pick-ups with ladders hanging off all over them driving on practically flats loaded down to the because it is overloaded with the illegal workers. They throw beer cans and trash everywhere.

I don't see that problem around here. We have tons of housing going up and not just your little 2-3 bedroom places. I'm talking some pretty high value homes for this area. I also know quite a few of the builders and subs. I think you are just seeing what you want to see Dave. Try looking at things in a positive light for once - it'd most definately help your DEPRESSION.;)

CkG

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

While what you describe does exist here, there are plenty of native construction workers as well.