Why ATI cards are Soviet cards?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
And here's another awesome thread :laugh:

QFT, and it's probaly going to be locked, it went from sarcasm by the OP, to a history lesson...quite interesting though, but way off topic.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: fierydemise
I like this thread, it may be a flame fest but its an informative flame fest

Yes, very true.

I don't really enjoy history, but strangely enough, in this format, i find it interesting :Q

GOREGRINDER

Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamer X
Originally posted by: Rob80
1.They are red
2.The are less technologicaly advanced and they try to make up for that by employing higher core speeds,but in the end they are less effecient than nvidia cards,Soviet weapons were less technologicaly advanced,bigger,and less effecient than American weapons.
note:If ATI goes out of business that would be a third reason.

You sir are an ass! :roll: Is this suppose to be witty!!! Half of your words are spelled wrong and your sentence structure is poor at best. I think I'll get my facts about ATI & the Soviet Union from some other source. Not from the "illiterate American"...:D

That was uncalled for,no need to be so rude!!
BTW,I'm not American.

LOL,..you assumed cuz he misspelled words that he was american? LOL,...i guess "You sir" made yourself an ass!

i am american, 100% red blooded and i think anyone in this thread that was literally looking for facts on ATI being soviet cards needs not to speak of others having a lack of being witty my friend ;)

Steelski

Feb 16, 2005
That's cute, you think the Russian front really made a difference in the end. Reality is that had Germany placed all of their militaristic might in France we would have simply leveled them with atomic bombs. Germany wasn't remotely close to finishing their nuclear projects, they still lacked any way to refine U-237 to U-239 and at the point when they had that(which they didn't) it still would have been another couple of years for them to be able to counter. Also, unlike the much weaker Russian state- we fought wars on both fronts at the same time and we were winning both. Of course we would have waited to start our second main offensive line if the Russian weather wasn't taking so much away from the Germans, but in the end we would have ended up saving a lot of Eastern Europe from the barbaric inhuman Russian rule.

I can not belive how much of a misguided statement that is. Yes................the Russian front contributed greatly to the demise of the German defeat. There is no way to deny what happend in history.

by the way as you can see on this page http://www.warchronicle.com/numbers/WWII/deaths.htm
the death toll for every nation.

20million russians died. what does that tell you about the efficiency of the german army. I dont think you really have much of a clue about how impressive their arms were at this point in time. Germany came very close to topling russia. and if he did then there would have been a lot more put into fighting you guys. infact i am willing to bet that most of the casualties inflicted against the nazis was by russia.
judging by the fact that they took all the countries that they did. if america was next door to germany, i am not sure you could have beaten them then. let alone from the other side of the world. Hitler made the decision to attack russia because he belived Stalin would attack first. if he had not done this and taken a breather for a while and developed more then we here in the UK could very well be speaking German by now. If Britain had not been so fortunate and resiliant then America would really not have had a foothold on Europe and anywhere to really launch an offencive from.

I am from Bulgaria originaly and want to tell you that yes i have first hand of what it was like under Russian rule. Yes it was bad but i am thankful that they fought so much to beat the Nazis because at least Stalin was race tollerant and refered to people as a statistic (joke somewhere there).

Anyway, all i am am saying is that it is no way as simple as saying ....yeah we can wipe em out of the face of the earth......the real truth is that we all got lucky because of the arrogance of Hitler disterbing a sleaping giant like Russia and then fighting an unwinable war on two fronts. Although Hitler did not invade England he could have in 1941/42 if he had resourses concentrated there instad of attacking russia.

P.S. You know a bit about planes though. which is nice to see

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
An Ak-47 is more efficent than a M16.
In terms of firepower, weight and stability (no jamming issues unlike the M16)
The AK pwns all.

Playin a little too much CS are we?

Steelski

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Nextman916
The AK pwns all.

thats what i though. Most peoples experiences here with rifles would be from games such as this.

imported_JeReMY

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2004
1.They are red
2.The are less technologicaly advanced and they try to make up for that by employing higher core speeds,but in the end they are less effecient than nvidia cards,Soviet weapons were less technologicaly advanced,bigger,and less effecient than American weapons.

:roll:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Nextman916
The AK pwns all.

:laugh: however it is pretty true.

For those who say hitler couldnt remove the RAF is stupid. Because first of all Hitler never wawnted to invade Britain. Hes goal for the entire World War two was to create living space for his superior "aryan" race, hence he wanted to inavde and destroy Russia/communists/slavs.

I dont know how informed you are of what happened during the days of the battle of Britain, but at the start of it, airfields were being bombed, radar stations etc. Literally it was one British plane vs maybe 10 luffwaffa planes. However due to his arrogance and ambition of attacking Russia (idiotic really or insane) hes mind wasnt really focused on Britain. Goering asked Hitler to soon attack cities, towns etc instead of bombing the airfields, radar stations that was crippling Britain. This gave Britain a chance to fend of the Germans. He still couldve bombed the air fields, and etc after the battle of Britain because the luffwaffe, send in paratroopers (the Germans were the first ones to come up with this military tactic), I mean Britain was really isolated. However as Germany punched through Russia, it gave time to Britain. America was pumping them with weapons, tanks money etc.

Steelski i got to agree with you for two statements.

"if america was next door to germany, i am not sure you could have beaten them then. let alone from the other side of the world. Hitler made the decision to attack russia because he belived Stalin would attack first. if he had not done this and taken a breather for a while and developed more then we here in the UK could very well be speaking German by now. If Britain had not been so fortunate and resiliant then America would really not have had a foothold on Europe and anywhere to really launch an offensive from"

and

"Anyway, all i am am saying is that it is no way as simple as saying ....yeah we can wipe em out of the face of the earth......the real truth is that we all got lucky because of the arrogance of Hitler disterbing a sleaping giant like Russia and then fighting an unwinable war on two fronts. Although Hitler did not invade England he could have in 1941/42 if he had resourses concentrated there instad of attacking russia."

When you read about what happened at Russia, its pretty much a hell zone. I wouldnt be surprised if one waffen SS had about 200 confirmed kills. Plus i didnt even know they had tank ACES!!! as in maybe 50 confirmed tank kills (T32s mostly).

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
who needs the History Channel:) this is th place to be. besides, Russia needed the US to defeat Germany, if i remember correctly, Stalin was begging the US to open a second front(Western side). Hence D-day.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Germany was the most advanced country during WWII but they could not mass produce their weaponry (King Tiger, MP44).

Russia has the most casualties because they fought Ulysses S. Grant style...pour units into the battlefield and tell them to run forward.

Hitler had plans to invade America.. read his second book

Half of you hear are believing Cold War propoganda about how Communism is evil

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
Germany was the most advanced country during WWII but they could not mass produce their weaponry (King Tiger, MP44).

Russia has the most casualties because they fought Ulysses S. Grant style...pour units into the battlefield and tell them to run forward.

Hitler had plans to invade America.. read his second book

Half of you hear are believing Cold War propoganda about how Communism is evil

true, but its hard to mass produce anything when you have the RAF and US 8th&9th air force bombing a way your war industry day and night. Germany did have the most technological advances of the war, but Russia was able to out mass produce just about everyone, especially Germany after moving many of their industries beyond the Ural mountains out of reach of the Luftwaffe. by the end of the war Russia had built over 40,000 T-34 tanks!

Steelski

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: CKXP
who needs the History Channel:) this is th place to be. besides, Russia needed the US to defeat Germany, if i remember correctly, Stalin was begging the US to open a second front(Western side). Hence D-day.

Yes..........Everybody needed the backing of America.
Britain came rediculously close to calling it quits before America joined in.
Infact. come to think of it. I dont think that Germaqny would have lost in the forseable future back then if any of the countries in question had not been involver. Britain being an island and giving great resistance and a foothold for america. America to give a drive from the West and Russia to retaliate from the East.

I for one now take regular trips to Germany and it is fascinating to see things from their point of view. I go to lots of musiums and see the propaganda that was there at the time......its really fascinating.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
U do know that if America had never helped Russia in WWII, Germany would be controlling Eurasia and would be advancing on the main land of North America right?

imported_g33k

Aug 17, 2004
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
At the time president Stalin did not even believe Americans or his advisors who all told him that Germany would invade Russia. So when the war started in 1939, he drank tea and coffee and ate caviar 24/7. By the time everyone was heavily into the war, Russia didnt even build 1 additional tank because they thought they wouldnt fight anyone. Imagine Germany converting every factory to build war machinery and almost every Russian factory producing shoes, clothes, cars....nothing military related. Just to convert country's infrastructure towards war efforts probably takes months.

This sums up the situation prior to Hitler's invasion on Russia : "Probably Stalin's most successful propaganda coup of all was the propagation of the myth that Soviet territorial acquisitions in 1939 were designed to establish a forward strategic line in case of a German attack. This tale has received wide acceptance, but eighteen months later when Hitler launched his invasion, virtually nothing had been accomplished in the way of fortifications, defensive lines or military airfields to exploit ground gained by the Nazi-Soviet Pact."

So when you have 1 gun among 100 men, it's no wonder your casualties will be through the roof. I dont necessarily recall Americans sending troops without weapons. Again since the majority of the war was not fought on NA land, it's only a statistical probability that those in the heart of warzone will get slaughtered like chickens even if they have weapons. And Stalin's unreadiness and shock during invasion (when Germany invaded Russia he told everyone it was a lie and sat in his office in shock for days not talking to anyone) only made the country less prepared when everyone else was trying as hard as they can to produce weapons. Just the Leningrad (St. Petersburg) blockade alone killed more people than all US troops in the war (not going to look for numbers).

I will not comment on a lot of the "what ifs" of WWII. But this statement is misinformative. Stalin did not just "drank tea and coffee and ate caviar 24/7, " while Germany and the Allies fought in the west. In fact, Stalin boosted tank and armament production in the late 30' and early 40's before Germany invaded. Particulary, after France fell so quickly, manufacturing production was further accelerated. Most of the Soviet army was deployed westward in the Ukraine and Poland. The fact is the German attack surprised most of these armies and they were destroyed in the early phase of Operation Barbarossa. So Stalin did in fact try to use Poland as a possible buffer between Russia and Germany, but his plan backfired as the Soviet frontier armies were overrun in the blitzkreig.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
blitzkrieg(lightning war), kinda reminds me of what Nvidia did this round with G70 series:)7800gtx,gt,gtx512,6800gs,and 7800gs

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
blitzkrieg(lightning war), kinda reminds me of what Nvidia did this round with G70 series7800gtx,gt,gtx512,6800gs,and 7800gs

so nvidia fed speed to its developers to make them work faster?

just an anology to the way Nvidia came out swinging this round with G70 series, i'm really impressed with the models they released so far.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
blitzkrieg(lightning war), kinda reminds me of what Nvidia did this round with G70 series7800gtx,gt,gtx512,6800gs,and 7800gs

so nvidia fed speed to its developers to make them work faster?

just an anology to the way Nvidia came out swinging this round with G70 series, i'm really impressed with the models they released so far.

joke dude, lol, Hitler gave speed to the Nazi Army so they wouldnt get fatigued during the begining. He took some too and thats why you see him so tired near the end.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
U do know that if America had never helped Russia in WWII, Germany would be controlling Eurasia and would be advancing on the main land of North America right?

Helped with what, what aid can u send from that far away anyways to such a large country, the aid recived would be so puny on the grand scale.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005

But does America needs Russia's help at the same time?

stelleg151

Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
1.They are red

OK your statements are too funny....:) You provided no timeline whatsoever.

I would be careful dissing Russia given that they invented the lazer, have far outpaced Americans when it comes to aircraft technology and actually hold the record for having built the largest airplane to date (AN-225 Mriya - which can hold the fuselage of a Boeing 747 inside its belly), as well as having one of the best helicopters on the planet - the Black Shark, and their space expertise is unparalleled. Russia's main problem with technology is lack of financial support and lack of quality attributed to lack of financial support and proper infrastructure. Let's not even discuss AK-47's standing as still the best all-around hand weapon ever made and how M16 guns jam in water....

I also failed to mention that out of all the countries in the world, Russia leads in terms of having the most billionaires under the age of 40 in the top 100; so it's not going out of business any time soon.

Instead you should thank the Soviet Union for showing you that some alternative market systems like communism are inferior to capitalism and that no market system is perfect or is protected from failure. Plus, without Russia and their "inferior" and "inefficient" weapons, Americans would have never defeated Hitler and many historians argue that they actually won the war and Americans helped them. The T-34 tank used in WW2 wasn't so bad afterall.

Again just because Russia is inferior economically today, doesn't mean US will remain the top empire forever...Just like Nvidia's market lead in the descrete graphics card segment is probably going to be overcome at one point (yet again ATI leads in overall market share).

Also when you say ATI cards are less technologically advanced, what do you mean exactly? Avivo video engine and ATI's 2D output are probably superior to Nvidia. Nvidia still offers no multimedia solution compared to Ati's all-in-wonder. ATI cards offer SM3.0, but let you have 14AA in crossfire mode and have 3Dc support. You can also say that that Nvidia has CineFX engine, shadow technology and that their engineering team has been able to produce a 110nm gpu that outpaces ATi's higher clocked gpu produced on 90nm process (an outstanding accomplishment).

Both companies offer something the other firm doesnt. Just because one goes about a different way of achieving the end result of producing image and framerates, doesn't mean the other is less technologically advanced. They are just different....Plus efficiency can be measured in terms of output per clock cycle, performance per watt, etc. So your argument is very ambiguous.

If by lazer you mean laser, then you are not quite right.

The laser was invented right here in the US of A by my friends grandpa. :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
That's cute, you think the Russian front really made a difference in the end.
Of course it made a difference - Russia was responsible for destroying Germany's best Panzer divisions and some of their best units as well.

Reality is that had Germany placed all of their militaristic might in France we would have simply leveled them with atomic bombs.
France was effectively a member of the Allies and you can't just go around nuking civilian targets of your allies on the hopes of hitting something military of your enemies.

Also, unlike the much weaker Russian state- we fought wars on both fronts at the same time and we were winning both.
At the end of the war the Red Army was the most powerful fighting force in the world and they probably had more tanks, artillery and men than all of rest of the allied forces combined.

That's not to say without Russia the war couldn't have been won by the rest of the allies but it's pretty foolish to claim the Russians didn't make a difference.