Why ATI cards are Soviet cards?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Powermoloch
Originally posted by: CKXP
who needs the History Channel:) this is th place to be. besides, Russia needed the US to defeat Germany, if i remember correctly, Stalin was begging the US to open a second front(Western side). Hence D-day.

But does America needs Russia's help at the same time?

yes, along with Great Britian's as well, England provided the allies with an important staging location for D-day. even though the Russians were on the offensive in the Eastern front, they Germans were still putting up a fight. Roosevelt and Stalin both knew that Germany couldn't boast the manpower to fight on two seperate fronts at the same time.

ramuman

Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Unkno
nvidia has red cards (asus)

R520 core is much more advanced than nvidia's current lineup. (Shrinked die, newer technology, while nvidia uses the same core as the 6800Series)

number of pipes and the core speed isn't the only thing that affects performance.

and your saying you "love to see ATI on par with nvidia", everyone keeps saying this but have they actually look at benchmarks? ATI's X1800XT performs better than Nvidias 7800GTX, and the the R580 card should be out in a few months to match the GTX512. You also have to know that ATI's x1000 series is still relatively new, which means there will be better driver updates to increase the performance (the 5.11 driver actually got like 30fps more in opengl games and 20fps more in directx games)

I could be wrong, but I distinctly remember my 6800GT being slower than my current 7800 card ;) Also, that same core argument is old. The K8 is essentially the K7 core with an integrated memory controller then too.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
so nvidia fed speed to its developers to make them work faster?

joke dude, lol, Hitler gave speed to the Nazi Army so they wouldnt get fatigued during the begining. He took some too and thats why you see him so tired near the end.

my bad AznAnarchy99 speedha,ha i it get now:laugh: yeah hitler was a mess towards the end......"see kids that's why you don't do drugs"

imported_michaelpatrick33

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
That's cute, you think the Russian front really made a difference in the end.
Of course it made a difference - Russia was responsible for destroying Germany's best Panzer divisions and some of their best units as well.

Reality is that had Germany placed all of their militaristic might in France we would have simply leveled them with atomic bombs.
France was effectively a member of the Allies and you can't just go around nuking civilian targets of your allies on the hopes of hitting something military of your enemies.

Also, unlike the much weaker Russian state- we fought wars on both fronts at the same time and we were winning both.
At the end of the war the Red Army was the most powerful fighting force in the world and they probably had more tanks, artillery and men than all of rest of the allied forces combined.

That's not to say without Russia the war couldn't have been won by the rest of the allies but it's pretty foolish to claim the Russians didn't make a difference.

Preach it brother. Amen and QFT. The Germans were the equal of any of the Allied partners alone (if not superior). It is the combined threat and real actions of theatre that caused the ultimate attrition of the German armed forces. The air bombings are of historical debate as to their efficacy (except for the missed opportunity of the ball bearing factory bombings, which proved too costly). Albert Speer stated if we (western Allies not the Russians had continued the bombing on the ball bearing factories, of all things, the German arms production would have ceased). Oh well.

Drop nuclear bombs on France? Are you kidding, not you BFG but the original poster? Have fallout throughout the nations we are attempting to liberate as our soldiers slowly die? Are you kidding? We only had a limited supply of the nukes and Germany was closer to the nuclear bomb than is commonly thought. I don't think you all appreciate the power of the German military (and resiliency) of WWII. I believe Russia or the US could have defeated the Germans alone but it would have been dicey (don't forget old Japan that divided attention).

Oh well, I own ATI stock (bought at 10.50) and a NVIDIA 7800GTX watercooled and overclocked. How's that for capitalism? LOL

Edit: Forgot to put in "air" before the bombings to clarify my statement

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
In the height of the cold war, Russia had better fighter craft...but an inferior nuclear arsenal, as well as inferior computers by far. Not to mention a very weak economy. In fact, for nearly any technology with significant non-military applications, the US was way ahead.

BTW, if the M16 sucks, why do they keep producing it? Even if limited to US arms, there are plenty of other options.

As for Russia in WW2...say Hitler defeated Russia, Hitler would then have had access to many many new soldiers (assuming no rebellions). Assuming the US still defeated Germany, would it have defeated Japan as fast? What happens if Germany/Japan got mass produced fighter jets and other more advanced weaponry out? Would the US have been able to produce enough nukes to combat the armies? Would winning by nuking half of Europe have even been worth it? Would the US population would have supported insane bloodshed on both sides just to liberate that 'place across the ocean'?

also it's speed that kills, a 5.56mm round traveling with a muzzle velocity of 2800 FPS is no joke.

BS, there's no difference between 60 fps and 2800 fps!

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
in the end they are less effecient than nvidia cards

i might give that *some* thought once your post-count exceeds 1000 or so...otherwise you're just a troll :)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
does video forum have no moderation? this useless drivel makes AT look bad..prolly scares people away.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Fox5
In the height of the cold war, Russia had better fighter craft...but an inferior nuclear arsenal, as well as inferior computers by far. Not to mention a very weak economy. In fact, for nearly any technology with significant non-military applications, the US was way ahead.

BTW, if the M16 sucks, why do they keep producing it? Even if limited to US arms, there are plenty of other options.

As for Russia in WW2...say Hitler defeated Russia, Hitler would then have had access to many many new soldiers (assuming no rebellions). Assuming the US still defeated Germany, would it have defeated Japan as fast? What happens if Germany/Japan got mass produced fighter jets and other more advanced weaponry out? Would the US have been able to produce enough nukes to combat the armies? Would winning by nuking half of Europe have even been worth it? Would the US population would have supported insane bloodshed on both sides just to liberate that 'place across the ocean'?

also it's speed that kills, a 5.56mm round traveling with a muzzle velocity of 2800 FPS is no joke.

BS, there's no difference between 60 fps and 2800 fps!

so you're saying a 5.56mm round traveling @ 60 Feet Per Sec. would be no different from it traveling @ 2800 Feet Per Sec? i was speaking in terms of feet per sec. not frames per sec.

munchow2

Aug 9, 2005
What are you smoking people? This is the most racist thread I've ever seen on these boards and those posters here who think America is the greatest and 1 American soldier pwned the 3rd Reich are sadly mistaken. WW2 was an international effort and no nation would have beat Germany alone. However, only in America do you find people who seem to think that they are the ones who won the war for the world. It is people like you who make the international community despise America.

Paktu's comment was pretty funny though lol.

imported_michaelpatrick33

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: munchow2
What are you smoking people? This is the most racist thread I've ever seen on these boards and those posters here who think America is the greatest and 1 American soldier pwned the 3rd Reich are sadly mistaken. WW2 was an international effort and no nation would have beat Germany alone. However, only in America do you find people who seem to think that they are the ones who won the war for the world. It is people like you who make the international community despise America.

I would make sure you go back and re-read my, MichaelPatrick33's, posts. I am an American and I don't think my posts reflect what you are attempting to convey. Be careful in generalizing the many by the actions of a few.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: munchow2

thank you for stereotyping all the people who posted in this thread

the are still producing m16s because they have been revised, fixing all of the problems, but when the two guns first came out (m16 and the ak47) the ak47 was much much much better than the m16. That fact was demonstrated during the Vietnam War.

If Russia had an inferior nuclear arnsel, they still had it very very close to the american main land with the missile silos in Cuba.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Dark Cupcake
U do know that if America had never helped Russia in WWII, Germany would be controlling Eurasia and would be advancing on the main land of North America right?

Helped with what, what aid can u send from that far away anyways to such a large country, the aid recived would be so puny on the grand scale.

by opening the western front, diverting Germany's manpower so the USSR wasnt overwhelmed with Nazi Germany's full might? you know that kind of help?

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Lol....this THREAD is getting OUT OF HAND. This is a video forum...not a history debating childsplay....LOCK IT !

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I want to know who here in America has 4 x 7800GTX 512mb cards in Gigabyte's 4-quad SLI board...that's the ultimate nuclear arsenal and pawnnnnnns all! It'll help us win WW3.... and maybe increase framerates in Call of Duty 2 from 10 to 30.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
BTW, if the M16 sucks, why do they keep producing it?
The problems with the M16 referred to in this thread relate to the original version that shipped during the Vietnam war. That version had problems with jamming (hence the small clip size) and didn't tolerate dirty conditions.

However there have been many revisions since then and the gun is actually pretty powerful now (especially if you add the grenade launcher to it) and it's frequently used by special forces and similar. Also I believe the modern derivatives of thegun are referred to as M4 rather than M16.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Russia(the country/borders) itself was a double edged sword. Germany pummeled them at the beginning but as they fought their way into the motherland, they eventually found themselves in harsh cold climate with very little supplies and no reinforcements. That was when Russia gained the upperhand, being natives of the land, their forces gained superiority over the germans and fought their way back. Germany just had too much on their plate, if they had temporarily left Russia alone they could have won the war and come back to finish them off.

eclavatar

Oct 6, 2004
US was pulled into the war and it wasn't our fight. People want to remember the war as something to be grateful for. Yet for some reason people don't realize or don't want to, America used and uses as much war time propaganda as any other country, if not more. All we did was put Communism at an all time high which is still seeing the after effects in all of Europe and the United States.

Germany was the most advanced country during WWII but they could not mass produce their weaponry (King Tiger, MP44).

Russia has the most casualties because they fought Ulysses S. Grant style...pour units into the battlefield and tell them to run forward.

Hitler had plans to invade America.. read his second book

Half of you hear are believing Cold War propoganda about how Communism is evil

Uh what? I have read Hitler's writings and no where does it say anything about invading America. His entire post war government was to be setup based on our Consitution.

U do know that if America had never helped Russia in WWII, Germany would be controlling Eurasia and would be advancing on the main land of North America right?

Hitler's goal was not to dominate the world. It was to remove the Jewish infestation from power and move them all to Madagascar.

Originally posted by: Kalessian
nationalism sucks

Do you even know what Nationalism is?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
RussianSensation-

Sure when you talk about a specific model not widely used by anyone. A 1 type example certainly shows off capability. This doesnt mean Russian engineers are incapable of producing SR-71 or besting it for that matter.

The SR-71 wasn't a one off, their were six in service for decades before being retired. You want to talk about one offs then we can look at the X-15A which surpassed mach 6- that was built in 1959. I don't think you comprehend how far behind Russian aircraft is.

Currently Russian air force su-27s are being upgraded to su-35 standard. Even the mere Su-35 will lay waste to an F-18 - Movie What's scarier Russia has a su-37 which is even better.

Wow, a F-18.... what about the Raptor? It cruises(no afterburners) at supersonic speeds is stealth and an exceptional dog fighter.

Again, this is just showing the capability of what the country can produce. I think you don't quite understand that Russia has the capability of making the best gun best tank, best nuclear sub, best airplane....you just have to give them money.

I think you are seriously delusional or simply don't comprehend exactly what the US is doing. Our private citizens are putting people into outer space, we were flying some three times faster then the fastest jet your nation ever built forty six years ago. The M1A1 is now long outdated by US standards- it hasn't been updated as it is so sickeningly superior to the best non US tank it would be a complete waste of money. That is why most of our military equiptment may appear to be approachable by third world nations. The minute someone comes remotely close(take the SU-37) we respond very quickly(see the F-22).

I can also say that Russia is far more advanced than US since it holds 16,000 nuclear warheads as of 2005 compared to US 10,315.

You have no idea how many nuclear weapons each nation has in their possesion- and neither do I. You can know what they want you to think, that is about it.

Since over the last 20 years US agenda was to participate in every world brawl they could think of (come and fight countries for their own internal reasons), it probably means they have had more incentive to continue to invest into their military.

We spend more on our military then nations 2-20 do combined last I checked. I'm not entirely sure, but it may be approaching your nations GDP.. ;)

Steelski-

I can not belive how much of a misguided statement that is. Yes................the Russian front contributed greatly to the demise of the German defeat. There is no way to deny what happend in history.

You are talking about the way things happened. I am talking about the end result and how much of an impact it would have had. Another few months and Berlin would have been nuked one way or the other- Hitler would have been there along with most of the SS/SA heirachy and with the way the military functioned in the Third Reich German collapse would have been very close behind.

20million russians died.

"No dumb bastard every won a war by dieing for his country, you win a war by making the other dumb b@stard die for his."

I dont think you really have much of a clue about how impressive their arms were at this point in time.

What precise statistic would you like? In which element? Do you want to know the torque curve of the various Tiger and Panther tanks? Do you want to know the typical ammunition useage for a particular German division during the war?

infact i am willing to bet that most of the casualties inflicted against the nazis was by russia.

By Mother Russia yes. Not by Russian soldiers or tanks. Exposure was by FAR the greatest fear on the Russian front for German troops- certainly not the Russians.

Hitler made the decision to attack russia because he belived Stalin would attack first. if he had not done this and taken a breather for a while and developed more then we here in the UK could very well be speaking German by now.

You seriously underestimate how superior the Royal Navy was to the Reich's. They could not invade England and they knew that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If Britain had not been so fortunate and resiliant then America would really not have had a foothold on Europe and anywhere to really launch an offencive from.

We could have also gone in through Africa, oh wait, we did to that.

Yes it was bad but i am thankful that they fought so much to beat the Nazis because at least Stalin was race tollerant and refered to people as a statistic (joke somewhere there).

Stalin killed a lot more people then Hitler.

Although Hitler did not invade England he could have in 1941/42 if he had resourses concentrated there instad of attacking russia.

Germany had no way to project that kind of manpower, particularly not in the face of the Royal Navy. Forget entirely about the US- he did not stand a chance against England by itself in terms of invasion. It would have taken years for them to build a naval force capable of landing troops in any number on British soil.

BFG-

Of course it made a difference - Russia was responsible for destroying Germany's best Panzer divisions and some of their best units as well.

Wow, a couple of divisions... in the scale of the whole the Russian front in end effect would have ended up useless.

France was effectively a member of the Allies and you can't just go around nuking civilian targets of your allies on the hopes of hitting something military of your enemies.

Flower children were not around in the 1940s. We would have nuked them with a smile in 1945- you can bank on that.

At the end of the war the Red Army was the most powerful fighting force in the world and they probably had more tanks, artillery and men than all of rest of the allied forces combined.

To say that is extremely comical is an understatement. By your standard China has ten fold the military power of the US right now when in reality they couldn't manage to invade Taiwan. They had disgustingly underequipped soldiers fighting for fear of being killed by their superiors- nothing else. You significantly overestimate the lethargic production capabilities of the Soviet Union in the 1940s- not to mention their non existant air force and laughable naval capabilities. They had no power to project anywhere, could barely maintain a defense of their nation using a combination of scorched Earth to disrupt supply lines and brutal weather against a fighting force that never even put much effort into the movement- and that was with the US dividing Germany's war efforts. In reality, if Germany hadn't been grossly inept of their execution they would have crushed the Soviet Union in comparable fashion to Poland. A springtime offensive launch spearheaded by aircraft and then hit with Panzer divisions backed up by infantry with a secure supply line put in place and it would have been a fairly short war, the USSR would have collapsed with ease. Have I ever mentioned to you my better half's secondary and post graduate degrees are in WW2 studies? I have bookshelves filled with literature and am likely far better versed in that topic then I am in anything 3D related.

That's not to say without Russia the war couldn't have been won by the rest of the allies but it's pretty foolish to claim the Russians didn't make a difference.

In end effect they had little impact. With as poorly as Germany executed the war Russia still begged us to remove their supposed command headquarters for the eastern front from operation- witness Dresden. If Russia was remotely dangerous they could have taken out the city themselves, they posed no threat.

One element that a lot of people like to forget is that the US was advancing rapidly through mainland Europe PRIOR to D-Day. We did not need to go through France, we did it to ease supply issues and liberate a more friendly area for us.

eclavatar

Oct 6, 2004
BenSkywalker

You seriously underestimate how superior the Royal Navy was to the Reich's. They could not invade England and they knew that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Britain's navy was not better then Germany's. More numerous yes but their aircraft carriers were still made out of wood from World War I.

Germany had no way to project that kind of manpower, particularly not in the face of the Royal Navy. Forget entirely about the US- he did not stand a chance against England by itself in terms of invasion. It would have taken years for them to build a naval force capable of landing troops in any number on British soil.

Britain was on the edge of collapse. If Germany didn't focus their efforts on Russia and instead finished the job in Western Europe. They would have defeated the Allies. Germany had Britain bombed into submission. There were constant bombing runs on Britain mainland.

In end effect they had little impact. With as poorly as Germany executed the war Russia still begged us to remove their supposed command headquarters for the eastern front from operation- witness Dresden. If Russia was remotely dangerous they could have taken out the city themselves, they posed no threat.

Russia effectively split up Germany forces. Germany had to fight another front and divert forces to it. Russia was building on its borders and had plans for an attack against German forces. It forced Hitler to strike first. IMO what Germany did wrong was continue to the heart of Russia even during winter.

One element that a lot of people like to forget is that the US was advancing rapidly through mainland Europe PRIOR to D-Day. We did not need to go through France, we did it to ease supply issues and liberate a more friendly area for us.

D-Day was make or break for the Allies. Allies were having major problems fighting Germany's superior forces and that suprise attack was their only hope. Even the United States and Britain admit it to this day.

Gamer X

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: flexy
in the end they are less effecient than nvidia cards

i might give that *some* thought once your post-count exceeds 1000 or so...otherwise you're just a troll :)

What does that have to do with my postcount,
after ATI spent months trying to come out with the legendary R520,nvidia had just to do some tweaks to their existing card to counter the R520.That's why ATI cards are less effecient than nvidia's

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: eclavatar
US was pulled into the war and it wasn't our fight. People want to remember the war as something to be grateful for. Yet for some reason people don't realize or don't want to, America used and uses as much war time propaganda as any other country, if not more. All we did was put Communism at an all time high which is still seeing the after effects in all of Europe and the United States.

Germany was the most advanced country during WWII but they could not mass produce their weaponry (King Tiger, MP44).

Russia has the most casualties because they fought Ulysses S. Grant style...pour units into the battlefield and tell them to run forward.

Hitler had plans to invade America.. read his second book

Half of you hear are believing Cold War propoganda about how Communism is evil

Uh what? I have read Hitler's writings and no where does it say anything about invading America. His entire post war government was to be setup based on our Consitution.

Hitler's goal was not to dominate the world. It was to remove the Jewish infestation from power and move them all to Madagascar.

Originally posted by: Kalessian
nationalism sucks

Do you even know what Nationalism is?

Eh, somehow I think you're being a bit nice to Hitler there, unless by "move to Madagascar" you meant "kill them all and maybe they'll be reincarnated as something living on Madagascar."

BTW, judging by Japan, I'd say the US would have used the nuke more to intimidate Germany than to obliterate it. For that matter, I don't think there was as much German hate during WW2 as there was after, so I think the US would have tried to force a surrender.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Britain's navy was not better then Germany's. More numerous yes but their aircraft carriers were still made out of wood from World War I.

Bismark. Nuf said.

Britain was on the edge of collapse. If Germany didn't focus their efforts on Russia and instead finished the job in Western Europe. They would have defeated the Allies. Germany had Britain bombed into submission. There were constant bombing runs on Britain mainland.

Britain was certainly not on the edge of collapse. The allies had taken naval and air supremacy by 1943 from the Germans and their bombing efforts were forced to extremely ineffective tactics due to this. What's more, the allies continued to decrease the effectiveness of the German bombing efforts until the V2 was ready- a last gasp effort by the Germans and more of a proof of concept then any sort of tactical strike.

Russia effectively split up Germany forces. Germany had to fight another front and divert forces to it. Russia was building on its borders and had plans for an attack against German forces. It forced Hitler to strike first. IMO what Germany did wrong was continue to the heart of Russia even during winter.

The amount of German infantry or armored divisions isn't the issue when discussing England. They could not hope to project their power against the UK without a years long build up of their naval capabilities. The Bismark episode demonstrates best how terrified the Germans were of the Royal Navy. The most powerful ship the seas had ever seen and they did everything possible to hide from the Brits. What's more- it didn't take too long for the Brits to take it out. Having a large amount of ships and a large amount of people to staff them does not a superior Navy make.

D-Day was make or break for the Allies. Allies were having major problems fighting Germany's superior forces and that suprise attack was their only hope. Even the United States and Britain admit it to this day.

From a morale standpoint and given that particular objective. Remember that even in the European theater we were also fighting on another front and winning. We liberated Rome prior to D-Day.

Eh, somehow I think you're being a bit nice to Hitler there, unless by "move to Madagascar" you meant "kill them all and maybe they'll be reincarnated as something living on Madagascar."

Hitler's initial plan for the Jews called for them to be exiled to Madagascar- how serious this ever was is certainly up for debate. It was, however, his stated goal some time before the "Final Solution".

BTW, judging by Japan, I'd say the US would have used the nuke more to intimidate Germany than to obliterate it. For that matter, I don't think there was as much German hate during WW2 as there was after, so I think the US would have tried to force a surrender.

Don't confuse the general populace with military strategy. The Allies knew that Germany had a nuclear weapons program underway- they did not know how inept they had been in their task nor that they had diverted far too much effort into rocket development to make a serious effort at building an atomic bomb. Germany was the center for physicists during the early part of the 20th century; the Allies had enormous fears about what Germany was capable of not to mention that information about the Hollocaust was well known by the time 1945 rolled around.

In realistic terms simply look at what the Allies did to Dresden; a target they found of little consequence but Stalin thought was important. We were clearly on a murderous rampage against the Germans at that point- there is no other possible reason. I am not saying that the force we would have used would have been the right or morale thing to do, but there is little doubt that we would have decimated Germany gladly if we had the atomic bomb in our possesion at that point in time.

Mik3y

Banned
Mar 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Gamer X
1.They are red
2.The are less technologicaly advanced and they try to make up for that by employing higher core speeds,but in the end they are less effecient than nvidia cards,Soviet weapons were less technologicaly advanced,bigger,and less effecient than American weapons.
note:If ATI goes out of business that would be a third reason.

You're a fvcking idiot.