Who's playing Minecraft?

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keeper

Mar 9, 2005
This freaking game. We just moved to South Carolina and Minecraft has become my job.

BONUS. Welcome. Your life is NOT your own.

Let me share with you. ONE bit of advice. But first, some history.
In my world, survival. I have 3 "Houses" going. My first one where it started out as a "Hidey Hole" and has since become my "Mining center".

Then my castle. HUGE above ground structure with turrets and spires reaching for the sky. Patio terraces where I sit and overlook the land and plot my next moves by the light of the moon.

Then there is a woodsman hut, in a woodsy area. Where I replant trees, grow gardens (Trying to LOL. FAILING at that miserably) and hide and cower if I get caught out late at night.

Last night, I an building a cobblestone staircase off my terrace at my castle, that will take me to the top of the mountain. I am NOT good about walking to the edge and placing cobblestone below me trying to do that WHOLE ANTI GRAVITY thingy. (Thank you NOTCH.That does ROCK) So I fell off. And I was building at night. I am feeling pretty cocky. So I eat to replace the lost hearts. Leather armor. Check. LETS ROCK.
Well, in 45 seconds. I am getting my arse kicked. Skele's HURT.
So I run like a little boy deep into the night. Well. Guess what. I'M lost! Dig a new hidey hole. No clue where I am. Wait for dawn. Go exploring. I NEVER left this "supposed" island. So just follow the shore. I will find my first place. Yes? 4 day/night cylces. Each one with a new simple hidey hole. Well, on the 4th one. I jumped out a little early. The Zombies in the distance were on fire but the ones ABOVE ME WERE NOT as the sun beams had not hit them yet. DEAD. DEAD. Respawn. Walk the whole day cycle to my mining complex. And thats when it hit me. COMPASS ROCKS.

I NEVER BUILT ONE BECAUSE I THOUGHT THEM A WASTE. My 'homes" are SO far from my spawn point. But I do know how to get to my Mining complex from my spawn point. Albeit long. So now, I must lament that 128 torches, that were going to be lanterns, are now lost to the 7 minute death timer this goes away thingy.

Had I had a compass. Perhaps I could have gotten closer to my homes and 128 torches would still be ready to become lanterns. (Yeah, that is what I was most upset at as coal and IRON are SCARCE in my world.)

BUILD A COMPASS. Trust me. Build a compass.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Just an update on me creating overworld maps of the server, apparently once you hit 350-400MB, Cartograph stops working properly. My current server world size is right around 480MB. Also tried AlphaVespucci, but it does the same thing, just in a different method of failure.

I'll keep looking into it, it's definitely a cool thing to have, but the software available is too buggy to provide for it from what I'm able to tell.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
thanks you jerks that kept wandering for hours real time to make the map mind numbingly huge. lol

:/

Meteora147 was right. haha

Last edited:

DavinSP

Jul 20, 2005
thanks you jerks that kept wandering for hours real time to make the map mind numbingly huge. lol

:/

Meteora147 was right. haha

well, sometimes you have to go that extra mile to find the perfect location for your cliff-side mansion, or massive TNT crater...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I dont know what to say, i havnt been this in love with a game since UT 99.

I've spent every waking hour playing since i bought it 2 days ago. Havent tried out multiplayer yet ive been playing in single player survival mode. Its so much fun i cant stop, and the graphics are so bad its like doom 1.

EDIT: Is there a way to speed up turning sand to glass? it takes forever to turn 64 blocks of sand to glass, want to build a new castle out of glass.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010

I've spent every waking hour playing since i bought it 2 days ago. Havent tried out multiplayer yet ive been playing in single player survival mode. Its so much fun i cant stop, and the graphics are so bad its like doom 1.

EDIT: Is there a way to speed up turning sand to glass? it takes forever to turn 64 blocks of sand to glass, want to build a new castle out of glass.
Yeah, just use INVedit to give yourself whatever you need.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Yeah I played it a lot when I bought it too. Still do weeks later!

You should get on Krakn's server though. Unless you really miss the zombie and monster parts. Currently in multiplayer, there's no dungeons, no monsters, you don't take damage, etc. But it's a lot cooler to be building stuff on a server with others than just on your own IMO. Lots of cool things people built to check out on the server too.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004

Multiple smelters would work. 43 wood/planks to convert 64 sand. I am going to have to face that soonish when I get ready to glass in my greenhouse. I am considering just putting in a wall of furnaces, like 20 or so, and having them all run at the same time.

A bucket of lava will burn for 10 minutes, but it keeps burning even if nothing is in there, and you lose the bucket. So unless you have the timing down just right to get back and replenish the supply of sand then you will waste it.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Why are my Redstone torches going out? I use them at times to create a dim but cooler looking light on my structures. Right now I have some wood blocks going up diagonally:

---------|=| x
------|=| y
---|=| x
|=| y

Where |=| is a wood plank block, - is for formmating, x is an unlit redstone torch, y is a lit redstone torch.

I've tried replacing them and everything but it seems like every other redstone torch goes out! I've never had this happen while placing them in a similar matter like on my igloo roof or roof of my hut. What's the deal?

edit: Seems they stay lit every block if they are placed on either side of the wood block, but not the one facing out.

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Build more furnaces. They are made out of cobblestone, so it is easy to get and build a bunch. That way you can make a bunch of it in parallel.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Is there a list of the warp points on Krakn's server?

if you go to /spawn, there are a bunch listed on signs. there might be new ones that aren't up there yet though. next time i'm on, i'll get a list and maybe krakn can add it to the OP

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
if you go to /spawn, there are a bunch listed on signs. there might be new ones that aren't up there yet though. next time i'm on, i'll get a list and maybe krakn can add it to the OP

Is it still like that? There was some talk that it would be removed as it's basically a giant list for griefers to hit.