Who's interested in the new Mustang SUV?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Meh... I guess that I'll hold out of an electric version of the Bronco. I'd want an SUV that actually looks like an SUV, and not an SUV that's pretending to be a sports car.
Just make one that costs 30k, not 50k or (a lot) more.

Reactions: Ken g6

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Just make one that costs 30k, not 50k or (a lot) more.
Depending on your location and income, you could get that.

Minimum MSRP is $43K, so I think I could get one for $31,500 in Colorado. In theory, not including delivery charge, taxes, fees, and dealer markup.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
FYI. This is a real life usage scenario from a reputable source.

Please do share your thoughts.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I guess someone is going to have to explain what he's talking about for the Ford plug n play vs the app. However, he just spent $10 to fill 26% of the cars range and claimed he was charged 20% too much. So he paid $8 to fill his car with 26% more range. That would imply to me that it would take him just about $30 to fill his tank on the road. A CUV like the Mach E with a turbo 4 would take about $30-35 to fill with regular on the road.

I didn't realize there was such a large price premium for filling up on the road. It completely negates any MPG advantage for long trips. I'm not sure what Tesla rates are though or if there is a large difference in pricing for different companies. I've also realized that if you put in handicap charging stations that people confuse them for a chart returns.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I guess someone is going to have to explain what he's talking about for the Ford plug n play vs the app. However, he just spent $10 to fill 26% of the cars range and claimed he was charged 20% too much. So he paid $8 to fill his car with 26% more range. That would imply to me that it would take him just about $30 to fill his tank on the road. A CUV like the Mach E with a turbo 4 would take about $30-35 to fill with regular on the road.

I didn't realize there was such a large price premium for filling up on the road. It completely negates any MPG advantage for long trips. I'm not sure what Tesla rates are though or if there is a large difference in pricing for different companies. I've also realized that if you put in handicap charging stations that people confuse them for a chart returns.

Tesla's rates are definitely lower than that. I believe it hovers around 25 cents per kWh, so you're looking at $20-ish to top up a modern Tesla vehicle's battery from near scratch. Of course, you're probably not starting from zero, so the real cost is likely less.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yes, most non-Tesla fast charging is kind of horribly expensive. He paid $0.43/KWh. I pay $0.12 at home. This is why most people will do their charging at home. Although, looking around my state, I have found a rate as low as $0.10/KWh in Eagle County, CO.

With many cars, when you plug the car in, it communicates what account to bill. Using the account that comes with the car doesn't include the subscription he paid for (before buying the car) to get lower charging rates. If it's his new car (I think it may just be a loaner) he may need to call the company to get the subscription account transferred. If you get such a subscription, you'll likely encounter this any time you get a rental EV.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Meh... I guess that I'll hold out of an electric version of the Bronco. I'd want an SUV that actually looks like an SUV, and not an SUV that's pretending to be a sports car.

The E-hummer is coming next year I think. Then there is Rivian that is doing a pretty normal truck and suv. The volvo xc40 is out now as a completely normal looking suv. The VW ID.4 is out now as a very typical compact SUV.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I test-drove an extended-range RWD model today. Thoughts:

* It's much smaller in-person! MUCH shorter height-wise than I expected
* I have a Mustang, so I'm biased & don't consider it a "Mustang", but as a car, it is decent-looking IRL
* The backseat is HUGE! The driver's seat was forward somewhat & I had like five inches of room for my knees! Insane!

* Trunk was not huge, but it was decent. Sloped roof cuts off a lot of space
* Front trunk is pretty small (groceries) BUT HAS A DRAIN HOLE!!!
* Surprisingly VERY comfortably designed. Like I sat in it & my legs & arms fit just right! Very impressed right off the bat

* The vertical screen is a great idea. Tesla needs to go back to that. Sooooo much easier to use without stretching your arm out while driving
* The volume knob in the screen is sooooo techie! Really cool implementation. 100 points just for having a physical volume knob!
* Has a digital dashboard, same as my ICE Ecoboost Mustang, very nice

* Love it has the standard buttons on the steering wheel, unlike the Tesla's, which keep minimizing the human-friendly pushbuttons
* Typical electric drive...super snappy acceleration, goes like crazy. Somewhere between a Leaf & a Tesla in terms of speed, closer to the Tesla tho. Typical low CG, great on turns, drove really nice.
* I was most impressed with how car-like they made it. They tried as hard as possible to make it NOT feel like an EV. They even added optional engine noise, which I actually really liked!

As much as I love Tesla, to be perfectly honest, if this was my daily driver, I'd probably lean towards the Mach-E over a Tesla. It drives like a regular car (but like, better in every way) & it's very well-designed for human beings (great arm support, tactile pushbuttons everywhere, an actual HUGE volume knob, etc.). I personally have a hard time with the exterior design, probably mostly because of the name (because a Mustang to me has a certain look, a gas motor, stick-shift available, is rear-wheel drive, and is a 2-door coupe lol). Again, it's not a bad-looking car, it's just that in my head when I hear "Mustang", I have a hard time getting past the EV + SUV part of it lol.

In short, I was VERY impressed. If I'm being totally fair, as a "car" & not a piece of technology, this is probably the best all-around EV I've driven (I've driven just about every electric car out there at this point). I'm very excited to check out the F-150 Lightning when it comes out. I have a reservation in for the Cybertruck, but I think it's between the Ford electric truck, the Bronco, and the Cybertruck right now. Ford did a surprisingly amazing job with this vehicle (Mustang aesthetics aside :p)

Rando pic off google:

1628800218942.png

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Almost 7k miles in, and I still love my First Edition. Like above, its an EV that looks, feels, and drives like a regular vehicle. But better in many ways. I detest the minimalistic look of the Model 3, this feels like a real car inside. Charged to 100% for the first time yesterday in a long time, range has increased as it has learned my driving habits.

Got streaming working as well.... anything works. HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. Makes things better when waiting in the vehicle.

20210812_083727.jpg20210810_130551.jpg20210811_055745.jpg20210811_055720.jpg

Reactions: Kaido and heymrdj

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Almost 7k miles in, and I still love my First Edition. Like above, its an EV that looks, feels, and drives like a regular vehicle. But better in many ways. I detest the minimalistic look of the Model 3, this feels like a real car inside. Charged to 100% for the first time yesterday in a long time, range has increased as it has learned my driving habits.

Got streaming working as well.... anything works. HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc. Makes things better when waiting in the vehicle.

Man, after test-driving it, I've gotta say, they did a really great job on it! It felt exactly like you said: an EV that is basically better in every way than a regular ICE car. It really does make Teslas feel like they were designed by Silicone Valley nerds lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Tesla fanboy, but the Mach-E feels like Car 2.0 "the sequel" rather an "EV" Car. Lots of nice little touches in everything from the steering to the acceleration to the create comforts that just make it feel like a better...car. I went in with very low expectations, as I've had a hard time loving the exterior aesthetics because the name is clouding my judgment (lol...but seriously tho), and was really really really pleasantly surprised!

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I agree. Few things I'd change, but overall just like it. Doug just did a Model S Plaid review. Loves everything about it... but some of the minimalistic approach. And build quality, as shown in his video.

I like thet the Mach-E just feels, and looks for the most part of a regular vehicle. They've nailed it imo.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It looks like the new "Mustang" Mach-E GT doesn't perform at the drag strip like a real Mustang should:

Maybe it's time for a GT-500 version? It's kinda embarrassing to own something with a Mustang badge on it that can get smoked by a Tesla Model 3.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It looks like the new "Mustang" Mach-E GT doesn't perform at the drag strip like a real Mustang should:

Maybe it's time for a GT-500 version? It's kinda embarrassing to own something with a Mustang badge on it that can get smoked by a Tesla Model 3.

tbh co-opting the nameplate is the only thing that really bugs me about the car. As the article suggests, I'd imagine that Ford will drop a drag-strip mode at some point, although from having driven the Mach-E, it's obviously they put a lot of work & effort into designing it as a next-generation car (like a car that literally is a better driving experience than ICE vehicles), as opposed to merely a minimalist electric vehicle like Tesla did. If I had cash in hand between any Tesla & a Mach-E right now, today, I would buy the Mach-E, and I say that as HUGE Tesla fanboy. My guess is that like 3 people buying the Mach-E care about track times lol. The new Tesla Plaid goes 0 to 60 in like 1.99 seconds for $124k, which is a bonkers price for the OOTB performance.

On a side note, where's my Cybertruck! lol

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

LOL
My SUV is only fast up to 80mph!!! This is an outrage !!!
I'm sure .00000000099999% of Mach-e owners are going to care about dragstrip times
tbh co-opting the nameplate is the only thing that really bugs me about the car. As the article suggests, I'd imagine that Ford will drop a drag-strip mode at some point, although from having driven the Mach-E, it's obviously they put a lot of work & effort into designing it as a next-generation car (like a car that literally is a better driving experience than ICE vehicles), as opposed to merely a minimalist electric vehicle like Tesla did. If I had cash in hand between any Tesla & a Mach-E right now, today, I would buy the Mach-E, and I say that as HUGE Tesla fanboy. My guess is that like 3 people buying the Mach-E care about track times lol. The new Tesla Plaid goes 0 to 60 in like 1.99 seconds for $124k, which is a bonkers price for the OOTB performance.

On a side note, where's my Cybertruck! lol

That thing Tesla does with prices is obnoxious
Prices above include potential incentives and gas savings of $6,000.
Right edge of the screen, they draw your eyes to the 124K
You have look at the bottom to see the actual purchase price of 129,990.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
LOL
I'm sure .00000000099999% of Mach-e owners are going to care about dragstrip times

Haha sneaky!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
LOL

As a (now former) Mustang GT owner, I still have a vision in my mind of what I expect a Mustang to be. If it can't smoke the tires and pull a sub 12 second quarter mile time, then it's not a REAL Mustang to me :)

In my mind, this is just an electric Ford Escape with a Mustang sticker on it.

Reactions: BarkingGhostar

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
As a (now former) Mustang GT owner, I still have a vision in my mind of what I expect a Mustang to be. If it can't smoke the tires and pull a sub 12 second quarter mile time, then it's not a REAL Mustang to me :)

This isn't a great concept, but still, at least it has Mustang design notes! haha. How's the new Stinger treating you??

1631822455386.png

1631822461992.png

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I understand where you are coming from.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I saw an amazing blue Mach-E today. I don't know if it was a factory color (didn't look like regular Mach-E blue) or like a special vinyl wrap with matte PPF on top. Best I can describe it is matte pearl blue. Or maybe like iridescent pearl blue. It was like 20 different shades of blue, but matte. Really really amazing color on it with all the curves! It was a bit like this rendering of an off-road Mach-E, but even better IRL:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm seeing more of these in Austin now. It's kind of growing on me.

Still kind of surprises me how squat it is but like 50% of people around here are rolling around in lifted F-150 King Ranch trucks to begin with so my calibration is probably off.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Inspired by vi's Ford Options education we test drove one of these this week. Not a bad package overall, but way too expensive IMO. Everything on the lot was Select, and they were all $50k. Some ADM but not as bad as I have seen. Sync 4 is a bit of a mess IMO, I appreciated Sync 3's super clean layout. I know Sync 4 does way more stuff but in the brief time I spent in it I was not impressed. I think Premium or GT is basically mandatory on these if you're used to faster EVs. Select is painfully slow. Dealer said no GT or Premiums available at all unless you order them or want to pay $10k ADM on a cancelled order. Combine that with many months of lead time for orders and we came home and ordered another Tesla. Model Y Performance lead times are quoting at November, with some people getting them much sooner. Really hard to make a compelling case for Mach-E in comparison.

Viper GTS

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

it's a fucking SUV. So: no fucking shit.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
it's a fucking SUV. So: no fucking shit.

I'd imagine that a Dodge Durango Hellcat or even a Tesla Model X Plaid SUV would absolutely destroy the Mach E in a drag race.

If Ford is going to slap a Mustang badge on something, they should have at least something in the Mach E model lineup with Mustang level performance.

Reactions: Kaido

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'd imagine that a Dodge Durango Hellcat or even a Tesla Model X Plaid SUV would absolutely destroy the Mach E in a drag race.

If Ford is going to slap a Mustang badge on something, they should have at least something in the Mach E model lineup with Mustang level performance.

A Dodge Durango Hellcat or even a Tesla Model X Plaid SUV would destroy a every Mustang in a drag race.

Mustang level of performance?
Which Mustang? The Turbo? The old 3.7 V6? The regular GT? The GT500?