• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Who's interested in the new Mustang SUV?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Meh... I guess that I'll hold out of an electric version of the Bronco. I'd want an SUV that actually looks like an SUV, and not an SUV that's pretending to be a sports car.
Just make one that costs 30k, not 50k or (a lot) more.

Reactions: Ken g6

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
FYI. This is a real life usage scenario from a reputable source.

Please do share your thoughts.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I guess someone is going to have to explain what he's talking about for the Ford plug n play vs the app. However, he just spent $10 to fill 26% of the cars range and claimed he was charged 20% too much. So he paid $8 to fill his car with 26% more range. That would imply to me that it would take him just about $30 to fill his tank on the road. A CUV like the Mach E with a turbo 4 would take about $30-35 to fill with regular on the road.

I didn't realize there was such a large price premium for filling up on the road. It completely negates any MPG advantage for long trips. I'm not sure what Tesla rates are though or if there is a large difference in pricing for different companies. I've also realized that if you put in handicap charging stations that people confuse them for a chart returns.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I guess someone is going to have to explain what he's talking about for the Ford plug n play vs the app. However, he just spent $10 to fill 26% of the cars range and claimed he was charged 20% too much. So he paid $8 to fill his car with 26% more range. That would imply to me that it would take him just about $30 to fill his tank on the road. A CUV like the Mach E with a turbo 4 would take about $30-35 to fill with regular on the road.

I didn't realize there was such a large price premium for filling up on the road. It completely negates any MPG advantage for long trips. I'm not sure what Tesla rates are though or if there is a large difference in pricing for different companies. I've also realized that if you put in handicap charging stations that people confuse them for a chart returns.
Tesla's rates are definitely lower than that. I believe it hovers around 25 cents per kWh, so you're looking at $20-ish to top up a modern Tesla vehicle's battery from near scratch. Of course, you're probably not starting from zero, so the real cost is likely less.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yes, most non-Tesla fast charging is kind of horribly expensive. He paid $0.43/KWh. I pay $0.12 at home. This is why most people will do their charging at home. Although, looking around my state, I have found a rate as low as $0.10/KWh in Eagle County, CO.

With many cars, when you plug the car in, it communicates what account to bill. Using the account that comes with the car doesn't include the subscription he paid for (before buying the car) to get lower charging rates. If it's his new car (I think it may just be a loaner) he may need to call the company to get the subscription account transferred. If you get such a subscription, you'll likely encounter this any time you get a rental EV.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Meh... I guess that I'll hold out of an electric version of the Bronco. I'd want an SUV that actually looks like an SUV, and not an SUV that's pretending to be a sports car.
The E-hummer is coming next year I think. Then there is Rivian that is doing a pretty normal truck and suv. The volvo xc40 is out now as a completely normal looking suv. The VW ID.4 is out now as a very typical compact SUV.

ASK THE COMMUNITY