Who makes the best automatic transmission???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
GM Powerglide is very popular for drag racing.

Ford c6 also has a good reputation.

And GM turbohydromatic 400 and it's derivatives. I'm pretty sure the famous small allison is based on this. By small I mean not the big Allisons used in garbage trucks, etc.

edited for my mistake on manufacturere of Powerglide. :eek:

thanks crustyoldman.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewChang
I'm sorry about your troubles with your Toyota truck, and I'm not really interested in getting into some sort of argument about this, so I'll just take your word for it. I supose my orginal post was tainted with some bias towards Honda, but wow... simmer down gentlemen.

With the exception of the occasional Ford, I have driven imports all my life, and up until this point I had never heard anyone tout the quality of a GM transmission. Keeping in mind, many of my close friends are or were owners of domestic automobiles. In fact, I've only heard the opposite.

most people don't harp on transmissions.

JRich

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2005
GM hands down. IIRC, I think even the M1A1/A2 tanks have Allison trannies in them :)

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I've killed quite a few automatic transmissions ;)

88 Lincoln Continental, 3.8L - as has been said already, the trans was trash. Just wouldn't get into gear one day. ~95k miles.
88 Mercury Grand Marquis, 5.0L - Transmission locked up, had car hauled away. ~120k miles.
92 Ford Mustang, 2.3L - Trans blew out on the expressway around Thanksgiving of this year when I accelerated to pass a truck. ~75k miles.
96 Chrysler Town & Country, 3.8L (my mom's) - Transmission dead @ 80k miles.

My Trans Am on the other hand - I've put 60k abusive miles on that car (on top of the ~85K or so that were on it when I got it), and it just sucks it up and asks for more. The transmission still works perfectly - although, I'm replacing it as a matter of preventative maintenance. I'm pretty sure a well-used and abused stock 700R4 will not hold up to the motor that's going in. :D

Say what you will about GM, they make damn good transmissions.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Doug3737
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: crustyoldman
Hands down it's G.M.
Any and all Japanese vehicles have weak automatics

Just caught this and had to jump in here... I'm sorry, but are you kidding me? By far, Honda makes the best automatics. They've been considered the best for years; almost ever single review of a Honda automobile mentions their transmissions bein the best in the business.

As for GM makin the transmissions that go in everything, I think you mean Delphi, which is bankrupt and dragging GM down with it. I've never heard of any company burning to the ground, while making best products on the market. If that was the case, then GM and Delphi wouldn't be in the positions they are today. You may also note that Delphi now makes many of the components inside the lastest MB's, which are now widely considered some of the most unreliable vehicles on the road.

this is a fanboi people, that is all.

Definitely a fanboi. I've got a 1999 accord and the tranny went out at 70k, had to get it replaced. If their trannys are so good, why did they extend the tranny warrenty on the 2000-2002 accord models? I'd get you a link but it's not worth my time. Find it yourself :) I called and talked to honda about my car, becaues it was just out of the reach of the extended warrenty... They confirmed it was only for the 2000-2002 models...

honda has NEVER been known for making durable transmissions. smooth and seemingly nice driving for reviews but not durable.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: alien42
Hands down it's G.M.

Just caught this and had to jump in here... I'm sorry, but are you kidding me? By far, Honda makes the best automatics. They've been considered the best for years; almost ever single review of a Honda automobile mentions their transmissions bein the best in the business.

As for GM makin the transmissions that go in everything, I think you mean Delphi, which is bankrupt and dragging GM down with it. I've never heard of any company burning to the ground, while making best products on the market. If that was the case, then GM and Delphi wouldn't be in the positions they are today. You may also note that Delphi now makes many of the components inside the lastest MB's, which are now widely considered some of the most unreliable vehicles on the road.

unfortunately you are wrong. 97 to 2000 honda auto transmissions are terrible. i just replaced my 98 prelude tranny with 90k miles last month. it is a known issue with the autos for that group of years.

he's just too young to know better. i remember when honda couldn't even build an auto transmission.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Two things kill a transmission:
Abuse.
Torque.

Jeep once put a Fiat (iirc) transmission in the Wrangler, but although it has good bearings and such that made it have excellent reliability in sports cars, the torque from the 4.2 I-6 would chew them up and spit them out.
Actually, it was a Peugeot transmission.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Hands down it's G.M.

Yeah, TL transmissions are rock solid ;)

hes a blind fanboi, and his post is hilarious.

GM's auto trannies were used in previous Rolls Royce's, BMW's, all of GM, and many other manufs. they are bullet proof, and down right solid.

Whoa there, easy boy. Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow. I ain't no fanboy, and if GM did in fact make the best transmissions, I'd bow down. But I'm under the impression that they don't, and truth seems to be in the numbers. Or more specifically, their 8.4 Billion Dollar loss last year.

I think I may have offended you by acknowledging GM's dire situation, but brushing me off by calling me a fanboy is not the solution.

go ask ANY and i mean ANY true car mechanic, or very knowledgable car person who makes the best auto trannys

Aisin (Toyo/Lexus/Others) and GM are the best. there are no two ways about it, they are bullet proof, reliable, and down right nice. the 4 speed hydramatic is insane.

their dire situation is from other things not transmissions.

He's right, I love Honda but Honda auto tranny sucks.

GM get a + here.

but a - 8.4 billions on their income statement :D

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr N8
Originally posted by: luckysnafu
I know for sure that Ford/Mercury makes some of the WORST ones. My gf's 97 sable had the trans go (and I mean blew apart internally to the point it could not be rebuilt properly) at 80k miles.

One car is definately representative of all Ford/Mercury models.

:roll:

The auto transmissions used in Sables and Taurus' in the late 90's have been known to have many problems and break prematurely. Ford changed the transmission in the early part of the 00's since they knew they cheaped out on the transmission.

Same with the Aerostar / Windstar. They put the Taurus transmission in the vans, thus having a car transmission on a heavier vehicle. They were notorious for their problems.

My dad had 2 blow in his Windstar. What a POS that vehicle was.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Hands down it's G.M.

Definitely a fanboi. I've got a 1999 accord and the tranny went out at 70k, had to get it replaced. If their trannys are so good, why did they extend the tranny warrenty on the 2000-2002 accord models? I'd get you a link but it's not worth my time. Find it yourself :) I called and talked to honda about my car, becaues it was just out of the reach of the extended warrenty... They confirmed it was only for the 2000-2002 models...

Definitely... because I'm half asian?

Well then, I supose I've been mistaken, but my personal experiences with Honda/Acura have been superb. Aside from some of the other asian manufacturers, for the most part, superior engineering has been the hallmark of Honda and Toyota.

go look at my toyota truck post, cough cough, quality frame metals werent though.

I'm sorry about your troubles with your Toyota truck, and I'm not really interested in getting into some sort of argument about this, so I'll just take your word for it. I supose my orginal post was tainted with some bias towards Honda, but wow... simmer down gentlemen.

With the exception of the occasional Ford, I have driven imports all my life, and up until this point I had never heard anyone tout the quality of a GM transmission. Keeping in mind, many of my close friends are or were owners of domestic automobiles. In fact, I've only heard the opposite.

not my truck, ive never owned a foreign car (other than my saab).

Being a GM fanboy that you are, we know you won't go near the Honda/Toyota dealership. :D

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: iversonyin
Hands down it's G.M.

Well then, I supose I've been mistaken, but my personal experiences with Honda/Acura have been superb. Aside from some of the other asian manufacturers, for the most part, superior engineering has been the hallmark of Honda and Toyota.

go look at my toyota truck post, cough cough, quality frame metals werent though.

Being a GM fanboy, we know you won't go near the Honda/Toyota dealership. :D

youve never read the cars ive looked at. before i got the SAAB i looked at the Civic, Mazda 3 and others. and then i went to review the newer Civic just to sit in it and what not. also went and looked at the Sonata after that.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Hands down it's G.M.

youve never read the cars ive looked at. before i got the SAAB i looked at the Civic, Mazda 3 and others. and then i went to review the newer Civic just to sit in it and what not. also went and looked at the Sonata after that.

But you are definitely the most pro-GM person on the forum. And of course, you never end up buying the civic the 3 nor the others. :)

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Hands down it's G.M.

But you are definitely the most pro-GM person on the forum. And of course, you never end up buying the civic the 3 nor the others. :)

the saab was 6500 when i bought it.

my current MAXX i went OTD at 16 grand, i cant get a new well equiped Civic for that cost... and the MAXX is many many times larger.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I know for sure that Ford/Mercury makes some of the WORST ones. My gf's 97 sable had the trans go (and I mean blew apart internally to the point it could not be rebuilt properly) at 80k miles.

uh yeah, pretty much. what's your point?

Krazefinn

Feb 1, 2006
There are multiple clutch packs in modern autos, containing from 4 to 7 friction plates separated by equal# steel "pressure" plates.
I'd have to give the fwd and rwd nod to GM.
When Allison built mopar trans, very good.

And it is true, an auto that shifts too smooth is eating itself as it slips clutches, keeps in both gears for smoothness. BUT a harsh shift kit, although saving clutches, will physically hammer front pump/verter splines, sungears and sprags as well as other parts that have to deal with sudden shaft speed changes. Often requires hardened input shafts etc...but if properly built, a "harsh shifting" trans runs cooler, and longer, than the same one shifting like butta.

I've built powerglides, torqueflites, T-350/400's, 700R4's, 2004R's...and without going into the newest GM 4L60/4L80 variants, my favorite is the 200. But not the "metric" units. Currently running a 700R4 in bad@$$396 chevelle, and buick GN 200R4 in wheelstanding 67 elcamino. Both shift very harsh, chirping even at part throtttle speed shifts, on kickdown, and into OD. But required lots of upgraded shells, shafts, large servos and the like. Both are also built ECM-free, and shift via hydraulic pressure and speed/ carb throttle body angle only. No computer.

BTW product superiority of delphi trans unrelated to business problems. More than likely trans unit to be spun off. Delphi manufacturers thousands of various and sundry parts for virtually all OEM's. Delphi's biggest problem was "warehouse on wheels" business model of its suppliers, among other administration issues.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jtvang125
That is exactly what is going to send it to an early death, smooth shifting is accomplished through excessive clutch slippage, thus shortening the traniies life.

I never knew there were clutches in automatic transmissions.:confused:

there arent, there is a torque convertor.

yes, there are clutches. don't listen to MIKE.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is why I do not care to post here a lot on vehicle issues, the ignorance here is absolutely incredible.
Just to let you people know, I have been a Master Technician for all my life (going on 30 years, please listen to education and experiance).
Believe what you want to, but I know the facts, Japanese transmissions have always been weak.

I have worked in the past for every Japanese manufacturer, they do not know how to make a robust automatic transmission, as for manuals, well that's a different story altogether.

That is all I have to say, no more comments from me.
i've heard from a transmission shop that they almost never see japanese cars in there.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: jtvang125
That is exactly what is going to send it to an early death, smooth shifting is accomplished through excessive clutch slippage, thus shortening the traniies life.

I never knew there were clutches in automatic transmissions.:confused:

there arent, there is a torque convertor.

yes, there are clutches. don't listen to MIKE.

i already admitted that mistake.

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
gm's are definitely the best, never heard of anyone having serious probs with one
throughout this whole post and badmouthing, not once has anyone had a specific comment about a gm tranny having troubles, almost every other card brand has had some comment on it though!

and while i love my hondas, their autos suck, their manuals on the other hand, are absolutely amazing and great

hemiram

Mar 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Mr N8

The auto transmissions used in Sables and Taurus' in the late 90's have been known to have many problems and break prematurely. Ford changed the transmission in the early part of the 00's since they knew they cheaped out on the transmission.

Same with the Aerostar / Windstar. They put the Taurus transmission in the vans, thus having a car transmission on a heavier vehicle. They were notorious for their problems.

My friend's leased Windstar (Boy was he happy to see it go in 3 years) had SEVEN trannys in it by the time it hit 32K and the 36 months was up.

Myneighbor bought a new F150 when the current style came out. The trans blew, and they replaced it. About a month later, the replacement blew up (what a mess!) when he left for work one morning. They gave him a new truck after that one. About 9 months later, the tranny went on this one too, and that was it for him. He was torn between a Dodge Ram and the F150 before he bought the Ford, so he picked up the truck after the new trans had been put in, and drove to the dodge dealer. He ended up getting a Dodge 2500 Cummins. He loves it.

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008

Pardon me, friend, but maybe you jumped in too soon. Check out what carcomplaints.com has to say about Honda's automatic transmissions. Also, check out the link below for the five worst automatic transmissions ever made:

http://www.delawaretrans.com/2011/11/5-worst-automatic-transmissions.html

Status
Not open for further replies.