who is wrenching today?

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Planning to finish the power steering hose replacement on my 300ZX today. Hopefully no more leaks after today.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Yesterday I got started with changing out the slewing bearing, AKA Rotek on the bigger excavator.
I hooked a shop vac to the top of the hydraulic tank to keep the oil from pouring out when I removed the lines from the center swivel and got them all capped off.
I broke all the bolts loose and called it a day. My back was displeased and told me about it this morning.
I took all the lines off the bottom of the swivel and capped them, and dropped the ~75 pound swivel down and got it out and cleaned up. I got rained on by 24 years of water and grease accumulations. You can get an idea of the consistency by looking at the wooden tooling I had made to jack it up.
PXL-20220614-234119525.jpg

We have some huge concrete blocks, they are 6120 pounds and measure 32" one way and 36" the other. The 32" was just right so I flopped it that way and used it for dunnage.
I used a 50 ton porta-power and slowly jacked the house off the carbody assembly.
PXL-20220614-234049437.jpg

I have it about 3.5" up and you can see daylight under the drive gear. It has to clear for me to drag the track and carbody assembly out to get at the bearing.
The front end I lifted with the excavator itself, then I blocked it up with 3" of channel iron pieces until I can get back at the job. I have to go dig a job with the mini tomorrow.
PXL-20220614-234104771.jpg

The new bearing is ready to unwrap and install. It's about 500 pounds of rings, bearings, seals and the ring gear itself.

PXL-20220614-234140477.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: iRONic

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
OK, several of my pictures didn't. I lifted up the machine. i took off the final drive covers, removed the sun gears, pulled the carbody and track assembly about 8' out from under the machine, using the other excavator.
I blocked up the machine on the end of the track and a vertical 4x6 . Crawled under and cleaned off all the gunk and grease off the bottom by that drive gear in the pictures above.
There was 5 gallons of greasy gunk the consistency of cake batter in the tub inside and below the rotec vbearing.
I sacrificed a shop vac to the excavator gods and sucked all that gunk up.
A friend of mine from another forum was available and he came over and helped me with the heavy stuff. I had broken loose the 36 M16 bolts that hold the gear to the carbody, and we got it off, cleaned up, installed the new bearing, shoved the tracks and carbody back under the excavator, lined it up and lowered it down in about 3 hours. That included torquing 66 bolts to 200~250 pounds.
So we went from this:PXL_20220616_191830215.jpg

to this:

PXL_20220617_011323597.jpg

I have about a day of putting the final drives back together, installing the swivel and all the track control hoses.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We dropped a chain through the swivel hole and hooked it to the minion excavator, and I had one of the guys run the machine and pull the swivel up from below. It's that 75 pound nugget of goodness in the plastic tub above. It is not a thing to try and one hand up into the hole while getting bolts started.
PXL-20220617-162035193.jpg

It gets 6 lines above, and there is a rubber boot that fits around it and snaps onto the yellow flange to keep the water out of the grease tub.
PXL-20220617-162108440.jpg

It gets these 8 lines below.
PXL-20220617-162119425.jpg

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Your company is gonna miss you when you retire. That would have cost them many, MANY thousands more had that work been done by a shop. Possibly so much more that it would have just made more sense to just replace the excavator.

Reactions: YuliApp and skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That machine is 24 years old and 9200 hours, and is worn out in several places. Now I have done the tracks, sprockets, some rollers as needed, fixed glass and windshield wiper.
Rebuilt all 3 buckets.
New pins and bores in the boom and house, repaired a cylinder, now the new Rotec bearing.
To do: the bucket and end of stick group. That will be about 4K with me doing much of it myself, but I don't have the machine shop to do it all.
These repairs will last at least 10 years at the rate they use the machine. My prediction is they will close the doors or sell before then, so with any luck at all it will go the distance.
I did the 2000 hour service which is all oils filters and coolant everywhere. That will take 6 years to use up too.
They've been pretty solid by me. Things I have done with that excavator and truck?
I took the combo across the mountains to the Yakima area and dug in 500' of irrigation line down a county road for my sister and family.
On the same trip I took it to another sister and dug her a replacement drainfield.
I've done many smaller things like hauled off construction trash, dug and cleared and done things at my house and neighbors with that machine and the mini.
My neighbor had a widowmaker in his yard that was poised to kill him whenever he was in that part of the yard. One day, I brought the big machine home, sneaked up into his place up the bank, and laid down that dead tree and the dead tree it was leaning on. It took me far longer to unchain it and re-load it afterwards.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Finally working on the bed for my race truck. I grew up in a body shop, and I absolutely hate doing it.

Attachments

• 20220710_193752.jpg
    20220710_193752.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: skyking

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Spent 3 hours replacing integrated thermostat/housing on a Nissan Quest thinking it was a simple swap job. Turns out the 3 bolts holding the housing in place was hard to get at even after removing all the junk that was in the way. A hose kept in place by a 5/8" spring hose clamp was a PITA to get out because it was tucked in a tight spot where I couldn't get the right tools in place to extract it and the hose of which was practically fused into the piping off of the thermostat housing.

I had to cut the clamp open with a file because 1.- the clamp couldn't get over the expanded part of the pipe in the position it was in and 2.- again, due to lack of working space I couldn't get a cut-off saw in there to cut the clamp off the hose while also being concerned about damaging the hose itself.

Finally got the hose off thinking the worst was over only to be faced with having to feel my way to where two of the bolts were hiding which meant also getting the alternator belt tightener out of the way. Finally managed to get the bolts out and proceeded to gascacinch the new gasket to the housing and install the new thermo/housing. I then had to mock up two guide pins and install those in the hidden holes so I could pre-locate the blind bolt holes while threading a bolt in the hole that was visible to me. I still had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and wobble extensions to sneak past what the alternator tightener was blocking access to. Also had to use a combination of 3/8 ratchet/ 1/4 inch reducer/ 10mm long socket to get the right length of tool parts in order to avoid the frame rail so I could get the 10mm socket firmly over the bolt head.

It's just one of those jobs that happens every so often where you end up thinking it should'a got fixed at the dealer's.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Currently working on removing/coating rust on the underside of the cab on my F250. Next will be to pull the box and replace the rusted out bed support rails (bed floor is still mostly good; weird since the rails are toast).

This fall (I hope) will be a new oil pan gasket on my 535. It's an x-Drive, making an already difficult job even more interesting.

Man, I wish I had a shop. Working on the truck in the garage is just so cramped.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
P0016 code, crankshaft/camshaft position correlation issue, on my '19 WRX. Not the sensors/OCVs after some troubleshooting. Just a wild/weird problem that is sorta a known issue. Going to mechanic to get some deep ECM values pulled to determine if the applicable camshaft sprocket is hosed. Then off to the dealer for warranty(I hope) repairs. The fun part is that if the camshaft sprocket/s are the problem and you replace them you HAVE to replace the ECU/ECM. You/the dealer cannot reset the associated values(VVT initial position learning values). So the ecu will almost always think the old part is in there no matter what without the ecu replacement. So dumb!

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
P0016 code, crankshaft/camshaft position correlation issue, on my '19 WRX. Not the sensors/OCVs after some troubleshooting. Just a wild/weird problem that is sorta a known issue. Going to mechanic to get some deep ECM values pulled to determine if the applicable camshaft sprocket is hosed. Then off to the dealer for warranty(I hope) repairs. The fun part is that if the camshaft sprocket/s are the problem and you replace them you HAVE to replace the ECU/ECM. You/the dealer cannot reset the associated values(VVT initial position learning values). So the ecu will almost always think the old part is in there no matter what without the ecu replacement. So dumb!

That is one hell of a performer there. I had a chance to ride shotgun in an earlier model navigating a winding uphill/downhill road at night. I was very impressed with the handling. Did I get scared hanging on to anything I could get a grip on? Well, let's just say that my friend was out to impress (scare) me enough to get the adrenalin shakes at the end of the ride and I guess he did a pretty good job of it seeing as if parts of the road had no barriers along the cliffsides. Ever since that demo ride up/down the mountain I got to respect the WRX a whole lot more than I used to.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Apparently I had accidentally archived the photos where the excavator was really split in two.
Those little sun gears had to come out, then the mini could easily move the 12,000 pound carbody assembly.
Once I had it out, I blocked the front of the house directly over the idler and with that solid post for security. It is still being supported by the bucket but they always settle. This is where my friend showed up to help me get it back together.
That tub had ~5 gallons of old grease that was the consistency of pancake batter. I still need to dispose of that properly :)
PXL_20220616_164240771.jpgPXL_20220616_191801313.jpgPXL_20220616_191812825.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We put the truck on the lift last week and did the services. New oil and filter, new fuel filter. Checked diffs and greased the drivelines and axle u-joints and gave it the general jaundiced eyeball.
I ordered new Bilstein shocks for it and we will put those on this week, and shoot some more grease at those front axle u-joints. One in particular was not interested in taking grease. I have locking hubs so they sit still and that's not good if you don't exercise them regularly.
I locked them in for a couple of hundred miles and we will give it another go.
I will also adjust the parking brake. We are driving across the US in a couple of weeks and my co-driver is not used to manual transmissions, and would like a functioning P brake.
I like them too, so I can let the turbo cool down after a hard pull and not have to sit there with my foot on the brakes.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004

Car spent 6 weeks at the dealer for the P0016 code and a TSB to resolve a rattle on the shifter in 4th gear. The transmission/shifter work took a lot longer as they had to pull the trans and rebuild some stuff. They also had to replace my cam sprockets and the ECU as stated in my previous post, pretty crazy. All told about 5k in work under warranty.

A couple hundred miles later my car starts to whine. So I take it back in and there was a bunch of metal in my trans fluid. They found that the trans/center diff were not aligned perfectly and the trans was grinding metal off the diff apparently. They are going to replace the diff and do a bunch of flushing on the trans while it is out to clear it out. I figure they goofed up the alignment while rebuilding/reinstalling the trans after the TSB work. Sheesh.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
kinda forgot about this thread.

reconditioned steering gear, new moog pitman arm, new heavy duty jounce bumpers. inspected everything else and fully greased the front end.

some $%^*@# stripped one of the screws on the ABS controller so i cant take the controller off the pump without fully removing it. I am going to have to take it somewhere for that.

i did get a 8 in screen head unit, back up cam and dash cam though. I really love this truck, even with 207k miles. hauled about 7k lbs of gang boxes today like i was hauling a 30 pack in the truck. 8.1L is awesome.

Attachments

• PXL_20221015_225242450.jpg
    PXL_20221015_225242450.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: skyking and YuliApp

YuliApp

Dec 27, 2017
desirehive.com
honnestly i have never been (non-sexually) so excited as today. Acquired a small house with attached future garage (before it was a supermarket). I lost my garage when we left Germany and this one will be even better than what we had there.

Attachments

• PRV_IMG_20221025_135027.jpg
    PRV_IMG_20221025_135027.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 16

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
kinda forgot about this thread.

reconditioned steering gear, new moog pitman arm, new heavy duty jounce bumpers. inspected everything else and fully greased the front end.

some $%^*@# stripped one of the screws on the ABS controller so i cant take the controller off the pump without fully removing it. I am going to have to take it somewhere for that.

i did get a 8 in screen head unit, back up cam and dash cam though. I really love this truck, even with 207k miles. hauled about 7k lbs of gang boxes today like i was hauling a 30 pack in the truck. 8.1L is awesome.
I gather the 7K was on a trailer?
That's some good workings Herm.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
honnestly i have never been (non-sexually) so excited as today. Acquired a small house with attached future garage (before it was a supermarket). I lost my garage when we left Germany and this one will be even better than what we had there.
congratulations on getting a workspace. That makes all the difference.

Reactions: YuliApp

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The Bilsteins are on and I noticed a difference in the 1/2 mile drive home. I retorqued all the lugnuts, little things like that. I need to get tire chains for the trip. I'll get them at Les Schwab's and return them unused with any luck.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I have the wood bed extension built and a coat of surplus paint on it. Hopefully it will cure out OK.
I brought the canopy up to clean it and lift it off the old camp trailer carcass where it was stored. Guido the forklift was at the neighbors, but he started right up and came home to do the heavy work. Those jury rigged fork extensions will only work with Cat branded ratchet straps to go with the Cat forklift.
PXL_20221029_005532309.jpg

Tomorrow my brother and I will mate that up, drop the tailgate and cut 4 pieces of plywood to extend the box out past the edge of the open tailgate. That will get me 97" of length for the 8' sofa.
I'll use 4 of those ratchet straps to hold down on the canopy, along with some big screws through the edge to the wood. Those sides are double wall 3/4 plywood with 2x material between.