who is wrenching today?

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
Planning to finish the power steering hose replacement on my 300ZX today. Hopefully no more leaks after today.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Yesterday I got started with changing out the slewing bearing, AKA Rotek on the bigger excavator.
I hooked a shop vac to the top of the hydraulic tank to keep the oil from pouring out when I removed the lines from the center swivel and got them all capped off.
I broke all the bolts loose and called it a day. My back was displeased and told me about it this morning.
I took all the lines off the bottom of the swivel and capped them, and dropped the ~75 pound swivel down and got it out and cleaned up. I got rained on by 24 years of water and grease accumulations. You can get an idea of the consistency by looking at the wooden tooling I had made to jack it up.

We have some huge concrete blocks, they are 6120 pounds and measure 32" one way and 36" the other. The 32" was just right so I flopped it that way and used it for dunnage.
I used a 50 ton porta-power and slowly jacked the house off the carbody assembly.

I have it about 3.5" up and you can see daylight under the drive gear. It has to clear for me to drag the track and carbody assembly out to get at the bearing.
The front end I lifted with the excavator itself, then I blocked it up with 3" of channel iron pieces until I can get back at the job. I have to go dig a job with the mini tomorrow.

The new bearing is ready to unwrap and install. It's about 500 pounds of rings, bearings, seals and the ring gear itself.

• Wow
Reactions: iRONic

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
OK, several of my pictures didn't. I lifted up the machine. i took off the final drive covers, removed the sun gears, pulled the carbody and track assembly about 8' out from under the machine, using the other excavator.
I blocked up the machine on the end of the track and a vertical 4x6 . Crawled under and cleaned off all the gunk and grease off the bottom by that drive gear in the pictures above.
There was 5 gallons of greasy gunk the consistency of cake batter in the tub inside and below the rotec vbearing.
I sacrificed a shop vac to the excavator gods and sucked all that gunk up.
A friend of mine from another forum was available and he came over and helped me with the heavy stuff. I had broken loose the 36 M16 bolts that hold the gear to the carbody, and we got it off, cleaned up, installed the new bearing, shoved the tracks and carbody back under the excavator, lined it up and lowered it down in about 3 hours. That included torquing 66 bolts to 200~250 pounds.
So we went from this:PXL_20220616_191830215.jpg

to this:

PXL_20220617_011323597.jpg

I have about a day of putting the final drives back together, installing the swivel and all the track control hoses.

Reactions: iRONic

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We dropped a chain through the swivel hole and hooked it to the minion excavator, and I had one of the guys run the machine and pull the swivel up from below. It's that 75 pound nugget of goodness in the plastic tub above. It is not a thing to try and one hand up into the hole while getting bolts started.

It gets 6 lines above, and there is a rubber boot that fits around it and snaps onto the yellow flange to keep the water out of the grease tub.

It gets these 8 lines below.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Your company is gonna miss you when you retire. That would have cost them many, MANY thousands more had that work been done by a shop. Possibly so much more that it would have just made more sense to just replace the excavator.

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That machine is 24 years old and 9200 hours, and is worn out in several places. Now I have done the tracks, sprockets, some rollers as needed, fixed glass and windshield wiper.
Rebuilt all 3 buckets.
New pins and bores in the boom and house, repaired a cylinder, now the new Rotec bearing.
To do: the bucket and end of stick group. That will be about 4K with me doing much of it myself, but I don't have the machine shop to do it all.
These repairs will last at least 10 years at the rate they use the machine. My prediction is they will close the doors or sell before then, so with any luck at all it will go the distance.
I did the 2000 hour service which is all oils filters and coolant everywhere. That will take 6 years to use up too.
They've been pretty solid by me. Things I have done with that excavator and truck?
I took the combo across the mountains to the Yakima area and dug in 500' of irrigation line down a county road for my sister and family.
On the same trip I took it to another sister and dug her a replacement drainfield.
I've done many smaller things like hauled off construction trash, dug and cleared and done things at my house and neighbors with that machine and the mini.
My neighbor had a widowmaker in his yard that was poised to kill him whenever he was in that part of the yard. One day, I brought the big machine home, sneaked up into his place up the bank, and laid down that dead tree and the dead tree it was leaning on. It took me far longer to unchain it and re-load it afterwards.

ASK THE COMMUNITY