who is wrenching today?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I can't say I like dropped cars as much as I used to... the tire-to-wheel well clearance dictates the size of the tires, wheels, and ride height, IMO.

In other news, I changed the oil on my driveway today and didn't have the catch pan in the right place when I unthreaded the drain pan plug. GG interlocking tiles (and patch on sidewalk).

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
In other news, I changed the oil on my driveway today and didn't have the catch pan in the right place when I unthreaded the drain pan plug. GG interlocking tiles (and patch on sidewalk).

Lol

gif.latex

gif.latex

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005

the red lugs will be gone once i pick up some others

the color of the rims isnt great, but who could pass up 15lb Volk wheels for 700? not i

eventually probably roll rear fenders or run a little more camber, and possibly powdercoat the rims a better color

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

the color of the rims isnt great, but who could pass up 15lb Volk wheels for 700? not i

eventually probably roll rear fenders or run a little more camber, and possibly powdercoat the rims a better color
Also nobody wants to see the hubs

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Also nobody wants to see the hubs

If and when I powdercoat I will also pick up the flat caps for Volk wheels

I think my old setup looked nicer, thats for sure
I love these tires though!! grip is great... the setup is using far less gas than my old one because of the light wheels

old setup
4696843849_eac913615e_b.jpg

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
This weekend:

New Black painted (with G2 epoxy caliper paint) rotors and drums
Also painted the calipers
Koni Yellow adjustable struts & shocks all around (painted with rubberized undercoating to protect the bodies)
Megan lowering springs (dropped about 1.25")
Polished front headlights, didn't work out that well

Teaser:

http://img4.imageshack.us/f/img8406s.jpg

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Prepped the S2000 and my brother's Ralliart for a May track day at Buttonwillow:

S2000:
Eibach sway bars front/rear
oil change
brake flush/bleed with Endless fluid

Ralliart:
oil change
tire rotation

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010

That will look better. I think the lack of colors that work together really throws the look off.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
The Accord got fresh oil and a new rear sway bay from the Acura TL-S. Opposite lock in an family sedan? Check.

The S2000 got an aluminum rear diffuser, a diff oil change, and a full detail, inside and out.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I think I overtorqued my wheels after rotating them a couple weeks ago (the car was driving funny), so I bought a torque wrench and torqued them to spec (85 ft-lbs.).

My car wasn't idling well, and it's been running rich lately. So, I took off the idle air control valve and the mass air flow sensor. I let them soak in rubbing alcohol for about 30 minutes. Then I let them dry completely. I then sprayed them with electronic cleaner to make sure there was no residue left. I installed them again, and the car's running MUCH better now. It used to die at idle until I had been driving for 5 minutes, but that problem's gone now. I'm hoping the gas mileage improves as well. If not, I might try cleaning the O2 sensors (all 4 of them :eek:) next.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Finally got the M on the road again today after spending Sunday and Monday night doing a cooling system overhaul among other things:

New...
1) Water Pump
2) Radiator
3) Thermostat
4) Upper and Lower hoses
5) Temperature Sensor
6) Fan Clutch
7) Auxiliary and AC belts
8) Tensioner Pulley and Idler Pulley
9) Air Filter
10) Cabin Air Filter
11) Oil Filter

..and of course new oil and coolant. The only things that really needed to be done was the Water Pump, fan clutch, and belts/pulleys, but in the interest of not having to deal with the cooling system again, I decided to replace everything.

Everything is running beautifully and it is nice to have my car back again. I still have a CEL for my secondary-air system, but that is just an emission issue that I will get to later when I have a chance to diagnose where the problem is (it is probably a simple vacuum leak).

helpme

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2000
Started the process of replacing an unknown number of parts in my drive line. On returning from a 1000 mile trip, I developed the sound of a bad bearing (pilot, torque tube or trans)... I will probably replace everything (pilot bearing, clutch, flywheel, slave, throwout bearing, torque tube bearings) since it's a pain to get in there and they have never been replaced before.

photo-L.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We had an interesting weekend. It started out Saturday with fabbing up a custom soft tail airbag system for my leaf springs. A friend of mine from the Cummins forums came over and helped out. After we wrapped things up for the day, We took a ride in his Cummins converted F350.
It pulls very nice! I picked a route with a good hill on it to show off his exhaust brake. On the way up, The clutch disc came undone! :eek:
He called AAA and had it towed back to my house. The truck got there at 9 PM, he had the dinner my wife had cooked for us, and we went to work. By 11:45 we had clutch in hand and knew what the problem was. We were both worried we had twisted off the input shaft on his ZF6 transmission.
The next morning I call parts houses and we are out of luck. Turns out I was calling the wrong place. Our forum friends had a pile of stock clutch parts and gave us one. :thumbsup:
It was a couple of hours of driving round trip to get it.
We got it back together that afternoon, welded up some things that needed attention and sent him on his way.

At first look, we noticed the springs look like they came out of a rock tumbler.

bomb205.jpg

I ground off the rivets and knocked it apart for a closer inspection:

bomb2015.jpg

OUCH!

Stock clutches are not all they are cracked up to be :D

bomb2016.jpg

His truck, looking much better back on the wheels. It is a real custom rig, a 2000 truck with a 2006 front end, 12V Cummins with twin turbos, Hamilton camshaft and valvetrain. ZF6 transmission with 4WD transfer case with a gear vendors 2 speed behind that. 5" exhaust with 5" remote mounted exhaust brake. Too many small mods to list. Yes, he is getting a proper aftermarket clutch to better match the 450 HP and 950 ft pounds of torque :p

bomb203.jpg

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
changed the oil on my gf's RX350 for the first time. one of the easiest oil changes since theres already so much clearance. had to get a special service tool on amazon to unscrew the filter assembly. the dealer likes to screw things in extremely tight, i had to find a metal bar to extend my socket wrench to give me some more torque.

almost spilled oil all over the place when taking out the filter assembly. there's a drain plug, but it was screwed in too tight by the dealer and i just had to take out the entire thing. seems like i can now change the oil on any 2GR toyota engine (pretty much every current toyota/lex v6 model)

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
did the spark plugs on my GS500f, not sure if thats considered wrenching as it only took me 5 minutes.

P1000762.jpg
P1000760.jpg

pulled these off after 10k, i'm not exactly good at reading plugs but i think these are good.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Changed the oil on my bike on Saturday and put new grips on it. Did some general cleaning on it and checked the tire pressures too.

Bikes are so easy to work on...it was a delight actually. I NEVER change my own oil with my cars.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Swapped the shitty KYB AGX + lowering springs combo the previous owner had on my Miata with some Xida Club Sport coilovers today. Yum to AST shocks and Hyperco springs. Also swapped out the rear sway bar for a smaller bar and added adjustable end-links all around.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Swapped the shitty KYB AGX + lowering springs combo the previous owner had on my Miata with some Xida Club Sport coilovers today. Yum to AST shocks and Hyperco springs. Also swapped out the rear sway bar for a smaller bar and added adjustable end-links all around.

That is a HUGE step up. I've seen a bunch of chatter about the Xida bits on the forums lately. What spring rates did you end up going with?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a3k8W9mnFuE/TgFvwa1R9nI/AAAAAAAAAl4/ANoPThYSiz4/s912/IMG_0406.JPG
Bought all the crap to finally do a proper detailing job on mine this week. I know why it cost so much to have done now, lots of work :). The left is the first round of polishing. The right is just clean and clay barred. Took care of the old pink nose problem. Still have another milder polish to go and wax. My back isn't going to be happy.

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I went with 700F/400R. Its actually pretty composed on the street.. everything I read about them has been true so far. I'm also on 225 R-S3s on a 15x9 wheel. I still need to get an alignment and corner-balance when I get the chance.

I really ought to detail the car someday.. Owning two black cars is a huge pain.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I went with 700F/400R. Its actually pretty composed on the street.. everything I read about them has been true so far. I'm also on 225 R-S3s on a 15x9 wheel. I still need to get an alignment and corner-balance when I get the chance.

I really ought to detail the car someday.. Owning two black cars is a huge pain.

are you saying you are giving these a good review by just putting them on and not even doing an alignment yet?

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
are you saying you are giving these a good review by just putting them on and not even doing an alignment yet?

The alignment is still within normal specs. They should get even better once it is aligned to what the manufacturer suggests (more aggressive on camber, dropped another .50" up front and .25" in the rear).

I can't really give a full review without taking it to the track and autocross anyways, but on the street they're great as is.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Unless you had the car realigned after the coilover install there is no way it's right.

I'd love a set of moton coilovers, my KTS Betas are decent though .