who is wrenching today?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
I took out the severely cracked dash from my '86 e30. Picked up one without cracks the weekend before for $80.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Technically I'm not doing it, but progress pic of my car from the body guy-

carbj.jpg

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I'll be wrenching a lot in the upcoming months. Girlfriend smashed her rear bumper into a pillar, gonna be removing, bodyworking, painting, and reinstalling the rear bumper, front lip (she likes to drives over those parking bumpers), and minor other things.

Also gonna be installing the air suspension on it, as soon as they get done building it for me. :)

Lots of stuff to install! And thats just my girlfriends car!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I started cleaning up the truck frame with a cheap sandblasting set from Harbor Freight. It does a fairly good job, but as with any sandblaster you need a good compressor. I have a 60 gallon 6 horse 220V upright, and I had to wait for that to recharge after a couple of minutes of blasting.
bed7.jpg

bed8.jpg

I used up 44 pounds of Aluminum oxide and have the back half of the frame cleaned off as shown. I recovered about a third of it but have to screen it out before re-use.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
WOW! I didn't know sandblasting worked THAT well! What do you do about the little nooks ?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It gets them too If you can get the angle right. I sprayed a conversion coating on there afterward. It would have done fine over the rust before I blasted, so I did not get totally anal about getting it shiny. Fogged some paint over that. I 'll get some after paint pics too when I get done.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I started cleaning up the truck frame with a cheap sandblasting set from Harbor Freight. It does a fairly good job, but as with any sandblaster you need a good compressor. I have a 60 gallon 6 horse 220V upright, and I had to wait for that to recharge after a couple of minutes of blasting.
bed7.jpg

bed8.jpg

I used up 44 pounds of Aluminum oxide and have the back half of the frame cleaned off as shown. I recovered about a third of it but have to screen it out before re-use.
How much does the media cost you?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I replaced the steering box and shaft last night, at least I started the project. I am also installing a brace to add extra support to a poor design.
Fun times getting the pitman arm off the old box. I had a wide variety of pullers to chose from, and it took oil, a big puller, an impact wrench and finally some heat from a MAP torch before it would budge.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Found my leak!

imagexkb.jpg

Ordered a new wheel.. hoping it doesn't take more than a couple weeks to make. :( Also planning on getting a set of wheels for the track.. Test fitment should be today or Monday, pending when a local wheel shop gets the wheel I want to use.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Well, last night officially began my mission of rebuilding the transmission, and entire clutch and hydraulic system. Aiming to make the whole setup reliable for 500-600 rwhp without destroying something or babying it.

Just got the shifter completely removed, going to get it up in the air and drain the tranny tonight, so it's ready to be dropped out of the car tomorrow and begin dismantling. Never done any major work on a car, so this is going to be quite a project.

imag0055r.jpg

Got a little energy tonight and went ahead and got the tranny removed :).

imag0056r.jpg

Last edited:

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Got the motor in the g35 today - went in a lot easier than expected. Now it's time to hook everything back up.

vq35tt-10.jpg

vq35tt-11.jpg

vq35tt-12.jpg

vq35tt-13.JPG

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Yes. The brakes alone are tons better than the SV brakes. The bike is more nimble and stiffer, feels like a whole new bike. I also put a ZX6r rear shock on which also make a huge difference over stock.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Everything going better than expected so far. Didn't even have to use my custom made extra long gear puller for the 5/6th gear that most need for the t-56 transmission, slid off by hand so I got lucky.

img0752f.jpg

img0760u.jpg

img0762w.jpg

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yes. The brakes alone are tons better than the SV brakes. The bike is more nimble and stiffer, feels like a whole new bike. I also put a ZX6r rear shock on which also make a huge difference over stock.

Nice.., yeah I'm not overly impressed by my SV's brakes. New fluid might help, but they just don't feel as nice as I'd like. The stock suspension seems pretty mushy, and I'm not even a heavy guy.

If you don't mind my asking, what'd it cost to source all the parts you needed?

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Nice.., yeah I'm not overly impressed by my SV's brakes. New fluid might help, but they just don't feel as nice as I'd like. The stock suspension seems pretty mushy, and I'm not even a heavy guy.

If you don't mind my asking, what'd it cost to source all the parts you needed?

I felt the same way you do, brakes were awful and suspension wasnt too far behind. The stock suspension can be rebuilt with new fluid, springs and valves and made to feel better but your still stuck with the shitty brakes. With the GSXR front end the brakes are absolutely amazing and them alone are well worth the swap.

I spent $1000 on all my parts but that also includes upgrades that were not totally needed like; rear shock, SS lines, new HH pads, wave rotors, stiffer fork springs and heavier weight fork oil. The front end I got for $350 and the TL1000s clipons Im using I got for $80, so for $430 I could have put the front end on.

One other thing I got for my forks were these small top out springs that extend the length of the forks by 9mm. The earlier year GSXR forks are 8mm shorter than the stock SV forks and combined with the ZX6r rear shock that is 4mm longer than stock I wanted to extend the length of the GSXR forks to compensate for the new geometry.

I think this swap was 100% worth the time and money. I feel like I have a completely new bike and looking back on it I am perfectly happy having spent $1000 on it.