who is wrenching today?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I didn't bother clearcoating them. I figured that by the time the plastic starts to haze again, I'll have accumulated enough rock dings to sand it down all over again.

The polishing doesn't seal at all.

Haha fair enough. I always cleared my headlights after sanding them and it's always last at least a year before needing another light sanding+clearing, but I've only ever used spray can clear from crappy tire.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I own 30moons.com (saturn related)...used to be big into them when I had my 96 SC2 Classic edition. I did a lot to that car and it was surprisingly quick once modded a little. If it was rear wheel drive it would have been perfect to build into a sleeper.

Most didn't know it was a 'Saturn'...all black and with a nice leather interior it looked more sporty and upscale than it's price point.

I bought it when I sold my 97 GTI VR6 I bought new to go back to college in 1999.

http://30moons.com/96SC2mine.php

Never knew of or heard of your site.
I was big on 6s and into the saturn community....

Here's what my buddy and I did a few years back (I was the main driver):
http://www.streetfire.net/video/coppertop01s-drag-wag-running-a-1345-99mph-1_135955.htm

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Updating the actual thread, I replaced both of my front calipers this Friday.
They were sticking, and killed my new Carbotech AX6's in less than 4k kms and my EBC slotted + dimpled rotos are pretty much gone too. Bye bye $$$

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Did you even know Joey@6thplanet? 13.45 isn't that great for a gutted no-fendered 2000 lb car.

Considering the car was probably at 175hp with a leaking turbo setup that was way too big for it, had very heavy rims, poor suspension, cost $1000, and I only drove the car down the track 5 times previous, it's a decent.

Nope, didn't hang out there.
Only sixthsphere, and went to laugh at the n00bs on saturnfans lol.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Did my girlfriend's oil the other day.

The next weekend that I have free, I'll be doing the oil + transmission flush + brake bleed on my Fusion.

In other news, I'll be dropping a built 289 and close ratio 4 speed toploader into the Mustang shortly. I will hopefully get someone to take pics. ;)

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
No wrenching on my Jeep lately, but today went to a friend's who is doing a massive makeover on his CJ and helped a bit. His Jeep will be a beast.

He's doing some serious custom front end frame and bumper work, lengthening the wheel base a bit, custom dash work, and a cage...complete with the back seat removed and custom mount for his new baby girl's car seat.

Gotta get back on my CJ, soon.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
As soon as my warranty is up, I'm gonna install a set of coilovers on my 330i. I hear the rears are easy but the fronts are PITA. But I'm freaken excited to finally wrench and this time save around half a grand.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Installed 4" exhaust on the truck last night. I'll post an exhaust vid when I get it warmed up.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Considering the car was probably at 175hp with a leaking turbo setup that was way too big for it, had very heavy rims, poor suspension, cost $1000, and I only drove the car down the track 5 times previous, it's a decent.

Nope, didn't hang out there.
Only sixthsphere, and went to laugh at the n00bs on saturnfans lol.

Hey, no making fun o SatFans :)

I have learned a lot from that site (and doing the work myself too of course)

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Got the motor in the g35 today - went in a lot easier than expected. Now it's time to hook everything back up.

vq35tt-10.jpg

vq35tt-11.jpg

vq35tt-12.jpg

vq35tt-13.JPG

We took a break from the g35 for about a month. Finally got the radiator support back on and the intercooler mocked up.

vq35tt-18.jpg

clutch pedal is bolted up
vq35tt-14.jpg

Cut the body a tiny bit to make room for the shifter
vq35tt-16.jpg

Interior is basically back together
vq35tt-15.jpg

700whp E85 Z I took a ride in. Same turbo kit thats on this G, just has 20g internals inside the 18g housing. This thing moved like no other car I've ever been in. Felt like the power was never going to end.
vq35tt-17.jpg

Last edited:

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
We took a break from the g35 for about a month. Finally got the radiator support back on and the intercooler mocked up.

vq35tt-18.jpg

clutch pedal is bolted up
vq35tt-14.jpg

Cut the body a tiny bit to make room for the shifter
vq35tt-16.jpg

Interior is basically back together
vq35tt-15.jpg

700whp E85 Z I took a ride in. Same turbo kit thats on this G, just has 20g internals inside the 18g housing. This thing moved like no other car I've ever been in. Felt like the power was never going to end.
vq35tt-17.jpg

Amazing work! :thumbsup:

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Wrenching but something far simpler and stupider.

Thanks to Apple and iOS4.1 borking USB dock connections on virtually all car manufacturers with USB ports I had to remove the fuse for Ford Sync on my car to reset it as right now it's the best suggestion that Ford engineers can come up with. For whatever reason between that and reset my iphone it worked.

Only problem is was that the passenger compartment fuse box in my Fusion Hybrid requires me be upside/sideways...it's just to the left of the knee airbag and behind a bunch of high voltage wires...fucking took 10 minutes just to remove a fuse, wait 3 minutes, and then 5 minutes again to place it back in. Ridiculous.

Oh and if I didn't say it before fuck you apple. Backwards compatibility is not some quaint idea it's something ALL companies follow. Fucking idiots.

theApp

Dec 1, 2001
Currently in the process of getting a few rocker arms rechromed and putting in MBP collets into my 748. Heads off the bike since the closer springs are an absolute bitch to get reset and the collets are a bit harder to install than the normal half rings. Of course also doing the valve check+adjust and belts.

spring-vec-small.jpeg

One of the closer rockers that needs to be replaced :(

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i am replacing the stearing arms and the leaf springs in my 72 wagoneer. also have a GM tbi on the way for the 360. I cant wait to have fuel injection!

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Not quite a car, but I just had one of these delivered to my house yesterday. It is missing a battery and oil and who knows what else. Plan to at least get the diesel engine up and working tonight and then to the compressor assembly later this week.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
Longest. Spark plug. Change. Ever.

Changed the spark plugs for a friends VW Beetle today. Good God Germans have no concept of maintenance.

In order to get at the middle two spark plugs in the 2.0L motor, I had to remove the airbox, air intake, throttle body, and upper intake manifold, THEN remove the wires and install new plugs.

Oh and then put it all back together only to find that the car is still misfiring. Sigh. I'm going to clear out the garage tomorrow and get some space to park the Beetle while I wait for the spark plug wires to be delivered on Friday. Also going to double-check that I didn't cross the wires, as that would be my luck...

Getting my car's battery and alternator tested tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can get this beast in shape before Basic.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
It appears you didn't follow the recommended method for the spark plug change.

haha, take out the fuel injectors? Yeah, right. The center two spark plugs are oriented such that the socket wrench is nearly impossible to get in, nevermind working the spark plug boots off. (11 years old and still factory)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I put a new wheel bearing on my passenger front this weekend. Remove the tire, remove the brake pads, caliper, holder, and rotor, undo the tie rod end, unbolt the knuckle from the strut, remove the ball joint nut and press out with a pitman arm puller.

After that its just a matter of pressing the spindle out of the hub assembly and then pressing the bearing out of the hub. I put the new one in the freezer for a few hours prior to this so I was able to press it in easily and then press the spindle back in while supporting the bearing and put it all back together.

Its nice having the tools (air impact, 20 ton press, etc to do the work at home. I'm doing the driver side this weekend and total cost is about $53.00 since I bought both bearings from Advance and used the code LC123 to save a ton of cash.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Ugh, forgot to put the drain pan underneath when I was starting the oil change, so when I removed the oil filter I had the stream splash near my face momentarily. I'm worried some of it went into my ear canal to be absorbed through the skin, and I did find some oil inside my outer ear. Yikes.