who is wrenching today?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Over the weekend my buddy and I pulled the engine from his g35 and traded it with a local guy for a stroked vq motor + cash. It's 3.7l now opposed to the stock 3.5. It has forged rods and pistons and we're going to be putting a twin turbo kit on it (twin gt28's or gt30's havent decided yet). Were hoping to be around the 500whp mark. The car previously had a vortech on it producing ~375whp.

Took two quick pics with my cellphone:
Cool!

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That looks absolutely AWESOME!

Can I get a front shot of the car? I always thought that the only bad part of the car are the cheap-ass headlights.

I changed the headlights a bit, blacked out the chrome covers and installed hid projectors.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I changed the headlights a bit, blacked out the chrome covers and installed hid projectors.

That is literally million times better. GM really cheaped out on the headlights on those things (and interior... ;) ), huge improvement with the projectors.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Over the weekend my buddy and I pulled the engine from his g35 and traded it with a local guy for a stroked vq motor + cash. It's 3.7l now opposed to the stock 3.5. It has forged rods and pistons and we're going to be putting a twin turbo kit on it (twin gt28's or gt30's havent decided yet). Were hoping to be around the 500whp mark. The car previously had a vortech on it producing ~375whp.

Took two quick pics with my cellphone:

Well, we got a good deal on an 18g turbo kit - not sure who makes the kit, but we did a straight trade with my friends vortech.

Here are some more crappy cell pics:
vq35tt-1.jpg

vq35tt-2.jpg

vq35tt-3.jpg

vq35tt-4.jpg

vq35tt-5.jpg

vq35tt-6.jpg

vq35tt-7.jpg

vq35tt-8.jpg

vq35tt-9.jpg

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Yesterday: Finished fabbing new lateral links with heim joint ends and installed them

Today: Tranny fluid change, bit of driving around, still have to look at the passengers side window motor (window doesn't go down).

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Plan to do an oil change and check my spark plug wells for oil before I hit 70k and my warranty is up.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Plan to do an oil change and check my spark plug wells for oil before I hit 70k and my warranty is up.

Check your real main seals and also the back of the motor for any type of leaks. I use to do that for my customers before their warranty ran out. Caught quite a few small problems that were fixed before it ran out.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I got the rebuilt transmission installed on the truck and filled it up yesterday. I grabbed a case of ATF and that went away without a problem, it ended up taking 14.5 quarts to get into the normal range!

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Took my ws6 to a local mechanic for a cheap oil change plus free inspection of recommended maintenance. Basically added up to over $1000 of work, going to do it all myself with a friend and shouldn't be more than ~$250.

Will be changing out the tranny fluid and the fuel filter tomorrow, as well as the tranny mount.

The shop told me my tranny mount was broken also. Said labor would be $280 plus the $110 GM part. Looked it up online and guides say it takes maybe 20 minutes to swap, and I bought a stronger one than the stock at autozone for $25.

So yea do it yourself if you can.

nwfsnake

Feb 28, 2003
Some of you folks are serious! I was feeling good about replacing all the motor and tranny mounts in my Accord, but now feel inadequate!

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Check your real main seals and also the back of the motor for any type of leaks. I use to do that for my customers before their warranty ran out. Caught quite a few small problems that were fixed before it ran out.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check those today.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
<-- oil change, lube all grease fittings and give it a wash before I get it dirty next weekend.

It hardly counts as wrenching, but dammit, I'm representin' !!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Wanted to re-detail my car all last week while I was on vacation but I feel under a flu...I never get sick, but go and figure the one time I'd use sick time I was burning vacation miles.

Anyway I felt better Saturday and did about 8 hours on it...it was freaking too hot though and miserable. Worked a bit more Sunday 7am to about noon before heading out to party and then finished up this morning a bit. I am happy. My back bumper still was really messed up from when a rear caliper seized and put metal residue all over it. The top part of it was totally grey to brownish (my car is pearl white)...I finally buffed most of that out and have some shine to it now. The roof, hood and trunk since have some minor swirls....my hood and windshield are new as of 1 year ago, but my 4 mile commute each way must have changed a lot as their were way more pits than I have seen in even triple that time. I have notice more trucks with unsecured loads and the like as well on the road. I have called FHP a few times about it and their dispatch acts like "WTF YOU BOTHERING US ABOUT THIS?!?!". I have been hit by styrofoam and cardboard and a ton of insulation batts... Have avoided a dozen 5 gallon buckets, one huge cooler, a lawn mower, and what looked like a A/C air handler.

One of the people that dropped the shit on my car I found coincidentally while on a side-job. They are on my shit-list.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Changed my Oil, Installed the TB Coolant Bypass mod and changed my Power Steering Fluid reservoir method.

blackfluid.jpg

eek

but now driver seat creaks like hell and my rear axle tick got tons louder lol :( need to look into my seat tmw.

IMG00027-20100627-0035.jpg

Last edited:

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yanked the transmission in my Saturn today, for a clutch job.. Got the clutch out, pretty worn pressure plate.. Gonna try and get it back together tomorrow (need to get flywheel resurfaced and not sure if I'll be able to find a place open)

Also tightened up my folks' Maxima a bit, new sway bar to frame bushings made a goo difference in sound/feel of the car.

Was a good day.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That would be a no-go around here. I'm lucky if I can get machining done on Saturday. I have been wrenching on the truck just about constantly. Overhauled transmission, removed bed and built an air-ride 5th wheel suspension system, modded engine for power, built a temporary wooden bed from what-have-ya, tow mirrors, DVD radio (not for movies, it has a camera input for a backup cam).
We are out at the beach and I tried to MacGuyver the passenger seat mechanism with limited success. I got a junkyard seat from a 99 and did not realize they had changed the shape of the floor pan. It did not work so I tried fixing what I had with bubblegum and good ideas.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Today's to-do list:

Accord: Rear rotors, headlight lens clearing.
S2000: oil, transmission fluid, diff oil, shifter regrease, wash/clay/touch-up/wax.

Don't know if I'll have time to finish everything though.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i will wash my pick up tomorrow, today i hope to finish fixing the transmission cooler line leak in the T/A maybe start replacing the struts and shocks, have new kyb adjustable in the garage for it. I am going to do the tie rods, drag link and as many bushings as i can also.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Pulled the exhaust off the Saturn to the manifold in order to diagnose what seemed to be a clog. It wasn't. So now I get into expensive territory.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Today's to-do list:

Accord: Rear rotors, headlight lens clearing.
I cleaned up my lights the other day. Wetsanding with 400 (had really bad rock dings)/600/1000/1500/2000 followed by Meguiar's 105, then 205, on a random orbital made them look almost new. You will probably be able to skip the 1500.

One tip I highly suggest you follow: sand perpendicular with each new grit so that you can make sure you've got all of the old marks out, but you probably already know this.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I cleaned up my lights the other day. Wetsanding with 400 (had really bad rock dings)/600/1000/1500/2000 followed by Meguiar's 105, then 205, on a random orbital made them look almost new. You will probably be able to skip the 1500.

One tip I highly suggest you follow: sand perpendicular with each new grit so that you can make sure you've got all of the old marks out, but you probably already know this.

wow that's too much work, you obviously do have more time than money though so probably the cheaper route than buying the proper tools.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000

Did you clearcoat (paint) them aftewards, or do the polishing steps seal the plastic enough so it doesn't fade anytime soon?

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Also, I changed the rear rotors, RR caliper, front to back rotation of the tires and inspection of the brakes and suspension all around.