Who is getting Alice TODAY?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
FYI: if you're not a fan of jumping in games, this is not for you! :)
Some of the jumps are quite difficult and there are time-limited runs where you must complete a *sequence* of precise jumps - or you must start over. Lack of anytime save is frustrating for a PC gamer and it reminds me of the jumping/puzzle games of yore.
---i definitely turn off S3D for the jumps now. :p

i guess i am near the end of Chapter 2; in close to seven hours and only about 1/4 of the way. :$

There is a real balance of frustration and accomplishment getting through a chapter in Alice for me; in this way, it is very much a true successor to American McGee's Alice.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It was a pre-order bonus and stated as such.
Pre-order Madness Returns from Origin, get the Alice Complete Pack (which includes Madness Returns and the original game).
Don't pre-order from Origin, don't get original Alice.

I wasn't complaining, just pissed at myself for missing it. The original Alice was an incredible play through for me when I was younger and since I no longer have the discs I missed out on a sweet package deal.

I don't really think that was a pre-order though, I think it said good until the 17th and you could buy and play it before that. The trouble is it was like a blip on the radar as I only saw it on the end date since I didn't know origin was in full effect selling stuff.

Oh well I'll wait it out to see if they offer it again...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yea was annoying for us PC users with that. TBH i didn't even know Origin existed until i installed Alice from the DVD

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I'm actually surprised that EA hasn't tried to sell it separately. Why not get a bit of a cash grab from the fans of the original game?

You can buy the original Alice for XBox or PS3, but not PC (yet...?), and only if you have Madness Returns.

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Good game. Retarded controls. Seriously, did they actually play test this thing on the PC? I shouldn't have to spend my time editing ini files to get a standard control to work.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Got bored, edited the .ini to upgrade the weapons all to level 4. It's a little more fun now. :)
Still not digging the extensive jumping sections
I did not enjoy the 3 sailor parts
, but the story and environments keep me interested enough to continue.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i find it more fun to at least earn the teeth to get the max out of it! But anyways, yeah, story IS keeping me interested... Much more than DNF.

What did you have to change? the 60 FPS was one thing I HAD to change for sure, but everything else could be done in the menus!

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
i find it more fun to at least earn the teeth to get the max out of it! But anyways, yeah, story IS keeping me interested... Much more than DNF.

What did you have to change? the 60 FPS was one thing I HAD to change for sure, but everything else could be done in the menus!

I assumed its like most games where you had to choose what to upgrade and there aren't enough teeth to upgrade everything in the first playthrough. (I don't do second playthroughs).

In the AliceGame.ini:

WeaponUpgradeToLevel2XPCost[0]=5
WeaponUpgradeToLevel2XPCost[1]=6
WeaponUpgradeToLevel2XPCost[2]=7
WeaponUpgradeToLevel2XPCost[3]=8
WeaponUpgradeToLevel3XPCost[0]=9
WeaponUpgradeToLevel3XPCost[1]=10
WeaponUpgradeToLevel3XPCost[2]=11
WeaponUpgradeToLevel3XPCost[3]=12
WeaponUpgradeToLevel4XPCost[0]=13
WeaponUpgradeToLevel4XPCost[1]=14
WeaponUpgradeToLevel4XPCost[2]=15
WeaponUpgradeToLevel4XPCost[3]=16

[0-3] = weapons
=00 = cost

I don't ever want to play a jumping game again. :(

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
heh... super mario brothers 256?

alright... I'm in chapter 2, and I already have full Knife... I guess the others are impossible... Might as well fully upgrade the weapons!

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
God of War 3 was a game that ANYBODY will be able to fully upgrade EVERYTHING! That was such a blast to play!

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I just grabbed those God of War thingy's! Was the developer of GOW the same as this? I mean why did they have those GOW boxes? (Chapter 2)

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I just grabbed those God of War thingy's! Was the developer of GOW the same as this? I mean why did they have those GOW boxes? (Chapter 2)

Not sure what you're talking about...
Do you mean objects with the omega symbol on them? (Looks like a horseshoe)
It's the same symbol that is on her necklace pendant, and other Greek symbols are all over her clothing and in the game. It's not a God Of War thing, it's a Greek symbol thing.
"Alice's necklace is the omega symbol, which is commonly used to represent the end of something. It's possible that it's supposed to represent that Alice is fighting to end her insanity."

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Finished the game, and won't play it again.
While I enjoyed the story and the combat and characters, the controls weren't great, the camera works against you while doing complex jumping sections sometimes, and I did not enjoy the jumping after the first couple levels.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
you can fully upgrade everything without cheating, there are more then enough teeth for it

Yeah, the last few chapters start giving you alot of gold teeth!
It was nice to not have to worry about making ridiculous jumps just to collect some more though, so I don't regret it.
For me the game was hard enough to get through (not difficulty wise, I felt myself losing interest quite a few times). It was worth getting through, but like I said, I'm not about to do a New Game+.
My favorite things about the game that helped keep it from being tossed aside. (Spoilerized)

-The changing environments. If I had to play the same looking levels, I would have quit pretty quickly. Great detail and not alot of reused set pieces.
-The "Eat Me" giant Alice section. There wasn't much to it, but it broke up the tedium and took care of a reoccuring problem. :)
-The weapons were interesting, and a departure from what's been seen a hundred times while still being familiar enough. The hobby horse fully upgraded was great, awesome horse sounds, defense breaking sounds and it felt powerful!
-More later

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OK, this jumping crap is getting really old. :(
I'm on Chapter 5 now, and it's just getting tedious.

/agree

Jumping was ok - but holy crow they are getting to be insanely annoyingly stupid. Maybe if I played the game with a controller it would've been different.

I think I'm on the last area - dollhouses. If so - thank god as I'm starting to find it difficult to continue on [out of boredum to to the repetitive jump puzzles]

I did enjoy the death of the invincible Executioner - that was hilarious. :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
/agree

Jumping was ok - but holy crow they are getting to be insanely annoyingly stupid. Maybe if I played the game with a controller it would've been different.

I think I'm on the last area - dollhouses. If so - thank god as I'm starting to find it difficult to continue on [out of boredum to to the repetitive jump puzzles]

I did enjoy the death of the invincible Executioner - that was hilarious. :)

First game was similar. The waterfall level was just a cheap ripoff of Mario 64. It was pretty, but annoying and repetitive.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
chapter 3!!!!! Yes!!! god, getting the 3/4 of the painted rose in chapter 2 was a PIA even on EASY! wtf!