Which wifi system is the best? google wifi/orbi/eeor?

Amble Dual

May 31, 2017
Last edited:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
I tend to lean toward the expert lab tests from smallnetbuilder. For an individual unit when used as such the Orbi and to my surprise Google WiFi are neck and neck with better-than-average to low WiFi signals. Low is where people care most. In fact both are so good that they match or exceed the old benchmarks (ASUS RT-AC68 and NETGEAR R7000) at the mid to lower signal levels.

If the person is an average joe, NO DOUBT Google WiFi/onHub. My family member's love it and even their 7-9 year old kids are managing their WiFi.

I have been keeping an eye on Linksys Velop which pretty much uses the same chipsets/radio as GWiFi, but their software is beyond primitive and they're expensive. Plume is also interesting, but they are a new company whose software teams don't have the long security/network history as Linksys and Google.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
An example of the 5Ghz lab test for a single router. comparing R7000, AC68U, Orbi (RBK50), Google WiFi, Linksys Velop.

cached_linechart_119_31_12341235277331153330.jpg

The numbers are here. Hard to see in the chart, but Orbi and GWiFi reach out past their test limit. You can also change the drop-down to see the 2.4Ghz chart.

Why not real world? Not everyone's home is the same and simply moving a WiFi antenna inches can make a big difference which smallnetbuilder also proved. The good news... a single Orbi and GWiFi is just as powerful and actually reach farther than previous benchmark routers. And that's just ONE! A GWiFi 3 pack is $300 and recently was on sale for $240.

Other things to note... notice how AC68U tops off 550-ish? That is a AC WiFi 1900mb/s real-world speed. WiFi marketing 1900 = 1300 5ghz + 600 2.4ghz. Not done yet...1300 is bidirectional speed.Just like saying gigabit is 2000mb/s. So half that is your one way speed, which is 650. Then subtract overhead. Udder marketing.

Last edited: