Question Which ram is best for Ryzen 5900x?

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Hello to everyone.

I use two of the Gskill TridentZ 2x16GB CL16 (F4-3200C16D-32GTZR) memory kit in my system.
So I have a total of 4x16gb Ram. First kit is Samsung B die, Second kit is Hynix A Die.
I've been reading comments on the internet that CL14 memory kits perform better.
They also talk about the DRAM ratio value. I think they say 1:1:1 is the best value.
Would changing my rams help me? Is it worth it? Or which memory kit might be better to switch to?

My other existing system components are as follows;
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Asus Rog Crosshair VIII
ZOTAC Rtx2060 mini
2 x XPG SX8200Pro 1TB Nvme SSDs
Be Quiet Straightpower 11 850w Gold PSU
Be Quiet SilentBase 802 White Case.

I would be glad if you give me an idea.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would stick to either Samsung b-die, Micron e-die, or maybe Hynix CJR. You can probably tune your existing b-die kit to run CAS/CL 14, but that Hynix A-die . . . ? I'm not sure about that one.

In any case it's for the best to use identical sticks. Mixing Hynix and Samsung RAM like that is going to make it extremely difficult to tune your RAM.

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
I would stick to either Samsung b-die, Micron e-die, or maybe Hynix CJR. You can probably tune your existing b-die kit to run CAS/CL 14, but that Hynix A-die . . . ? I'm not sure about that one.

In any case it's for the best to use identical sticks. Mixing Hynix and Samsung RAM like that is going to make it extremely difficult to tune your RAM.

I know that. Samsung B and Hynix A cannot be set together. They only work in their own XMP profile. System hangs when I change timings or CL value. But there is no problem with the standard DCOP profile.

Does selling my ram and buying CL14 ram make a serious contribution to performance?
Is it worth the money I will spend?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Does selling my ram and buying CL14 ram make a serious contribution to performance?
Is it worth the money I will spend?

Depends on the application. Some applications don't scale well at all. Games will benefit, for sure. And you don't necessarily want "CL14 RAM" either unless you're really just sticking to DOCP. Some of the best bang/buck RAM is sold as DDR4-3600 CAS/CL 16.

Reactions: Arkaign

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Depends on the application. Some applications don't scale well at all. Games will benefit, for sure. And you don't necessarily want "CL14 RAM" either unless you're really just sticking to DOCP. Some of the best bang/buck RAM is sold as DDR4-3600 CAS/CL 16.

So, would it help to change rams and make 3600 or 4000mhz? G Skill has ram kits with speeds of 3600,4000,4266 and 4400 mhz. Will I get a difference if I upgrade to these?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So, would it help to change rams and make 3600 or 4000mhz? G Skill has ram kits with speeds of 3600,4000,4266 and 4400 mhz. Will I get a difference if I upgrade to these?

What kit are you currently running in the rig? Your not really clear on what your currently running and at what timings. How much ram do you want to end up with in the end?

I bought the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB kit(F4-3600C16D-32GTZN) for my 5900x rig. It's B-die so you can almost make it run at whatever you want with a little voltage tweaking. It's kind of pricey, but Newegg has it for $250 currently.

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
What kit are you currently running in the rig? Your not really clear on what your currently running and at what timings. How much ram do you want to end up with in the end?

I bought the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB kit(F4-3600C16D-32GTZN) for my 5900x rig. It's B-die so you can almost make it run at whatever you want with a little voltage tweaking. It's kind of pricey, but Newegg has it for $250 currently.

I have a Gskil 3200mhz F4-3200C16D-32GTZR ram module. As two 2x16gb kits. Frankly, I want to buy the most optimal ram for my processor 5900x and motherboard x570 asus crosshair motherboard. That's why I'm asking. Which ram kit would I buy and would I get the best performance?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Reactions: Drazick

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I wouldn't bother with a RAM upgrade in that system. As @DrMrLordX pointed out you won't really benefit in anything but gaming. More specifically CPU limited gaming. This means you would need a significantly more powerful GPU and run 1440p/1080p in AAA type games (with settings turned up) to see any real benefit. The only situation where it would be useful with a 2060 would be if you play e-sports games or modern fast paced shooters (with reduced settings) @ 1080p on a high refresh panel.

Even then you'll need to buy high priced B-Die with quality bins (not all B-Die is created equal) and spend the time to tune and stability test it. Even using the Ryzen DRAM calculator app this can be a massive PITA.

If you really want to try this, the above kit is about the only affordable way to get high quality B-Die. You'll want to maintain a 1:1 ratio with the FCLK which generally tops out at 1900 Mhz. This means you'll want to tune the RAM to 3800 MT/s and the tightest primary timings you can achieve at 1.45V on the memory. Enable gear down mode and force 1T command rate. You can tweak further sub timings but in my experience It's mostly a waste of time unless you are competitive overclocking. You'll want to use DRAM Calculator as a guide and stability test. There will be memory controller voltages that will also likely need to be tweaked. You likely won't have a stable DOCP profile to fall back on and it wouldn't be close to optimal anyway. Buying that memory is a commitment to memory tweaking.

Personally I'd save the $250 until a reasonable GPU upgrade is possible.

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
I wouldn't bother with a RAM upgrade in that system. As @DrMrLordX pointed out you won't really benefit in anything but gaming. More specifically CPU limited gaming. This means you would need a significantly more powerful GPU and run 1440p/1080p in AAA type games (with settings turned up) to see any real benefit. The only situation where it would be useful with a 2060 would be if you play e-sports games or modern fast paced shooters (with reduced settings) @ 1080p on a high refresh panel.

Even then you'll need to buy high priced B-Die with quality bins (not all B-Die is created equal) and spend the time to tune and stability test it. Even using the Ryzen DRAM calculator app this can be a massive PITA.

If you really want to try this, the above kit is about the only affordable way to get high quality B-Die. You'll want to maintain a 1:1 ratio with the FCLK which generally tops out at 1900 Mhz. This means you'll want to tune the RAM to 3800 MT/s and the tightest primary timings you can achieve at 1.45V on the memory. Enable gear down mode and force 1T command rate. You can tweak further sub timings but in my experience It's mostly a waste of time unless you are competitive overclocking. You'll want to use DRAM Calculator as a guide and stability test. There will be memory controller voltages that will also likely need to be tweaked. You likely won't have a stable DOCP profile to fall back on and it wouldn't be close to optimal anyway. Buying that memory is a commitment to memory tweaking.

Personally I'd save the $250 until a reasonable GPU upgrade is possible.

Since I have other priorities rather than the game, I thought of changing the ram.
I use various design and rendering programs, especially Autocad. For this reason, I wanted to be able to go up to the highest speed my motherboard would allow.

I bought Gskill TridentZ F4-4000C18D-32GTZR model 4000Mhz CL18 ram. This ram seems to be compatible with my motherboard and equivalent models. I guess it won't be a problem with my motherboard.
If the lag gets too high, I can manually set the speed to something like 3800 or 3600.

My RTX2060 Graphics card is enough for me right now. The games I play don't want a lot of graphics power. I usually play turn-based games like Civilization, Cities Skylines.
The first hardware I will upgrade in the future will be my graphics card.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Not necessarily. Some of the Micron e-die is actually pretty good, and it comes in higher density DIMMs than older b-die products.

I bought Gskill TridentZ F4-4000C18D-32GTZR model 4000Mhz CL18 ram.

Good luck, but I do not think DOCP will work with that kit. I could be wrong! In any case I think you will have to hand-tune it to get the advertised speeds.

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Not necessarily. Some of the Micron e-die is actually pretty good, and it comes in higher density DIMMs than older b-die products.

Good luck, but I do not think DOCP will work with that kit. I could be wrong! In any case I think you will have to hand-tune it to get the advertised speeds.

If I cannot activate the DOCP Profile, I will manually enter the Kit's own speeds. I hope I can run it without problems. My motherboard supports it in G.SKILL's own QVL list.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
That's a fair point. It's also usually much cheaper and can get most of the way there when tuned. Kinda hard to pass on 32gb of god tier binned b-die for less than $250 if you have an overclocker's mentality like myself though ;).

I think the 2x16 3600 cl 16 crucial and gskill kits (I'm assuming these are e-die) are totally fine especially if you don't want to tune the memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works it just won't be synced with the fclock and will likely running at 2t with garbage sub timings. The auto SOC voltages will probably also be too high and soaking up power the core's could otherwise use. If any of his applications are latency sensitive it might even perform worse then the original memory.

Last edited:

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
That's a fair point. It's also usually much cheaper and can get most of the way there when tuned. Kinda hard to pass on 32gb of god tier binned b-die for less than $250 if you have an overclocker's mentality like myself though ;).

I think the 2x16 3600 cl 16 crucial and gskill kits (I'm assuming these are e-die) are totally fine especially if you don't want to tune the memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if it works it just won't be synced with the fclock and will likely running at 2t with garbage sub timings. The auto SOC voltages will probably also be too high and soaking up power the core's could otherwise use. If any of his applications are latency sensitive it might even perform worse then the original memory.

I tested the ram I bought today.
It runs smoothly at 4000mhz as 2 bars.

As 4 bars, they work stably at 3600mhz.
I set it to Manual, with the timing of 18-22-22-42, the Delay value is 66ns. It passes the Windows memory test without any problems.

Again, when I set 3733mhz as 4 bars, I had a hard time getting stability. I set the FCLK Value to 1866mhz. I slightly increased the SOC voltage to 1.05v. I left the timings the same, 18-22-22-42. The delay was 62ns. But there are errors in the Windows memory test.

What would you suggest I do?
What is the right thing to set the voltages to?
Ryzen drama calculator sounds very confusing. If you can help, I'll try from there, but none of the settings I've tried and tried have worked. I set it up as above and worked on it myself.

By the way, the ram kits have the sk hynix d-die chip.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I tested the ram I bought today.
It runs smoothly at 4000mhz as 2 bars.

As 4 bars, they work stably at 3600mhz.
I set it to Manual, with the timing of 18-22-22-42, the Delay value is 66ns. It passes the Windows memory test without any problems.

Again, when I set 3733mhz as 4 bars, I had a hard time getting stability. I set the FCLK Value to 1866mhz. I slightly increased the SOC voltage to 1.05v. I left the timings the same, 18-22-22-42. The delay was 62ns. But there are errors in the Windows memory test.

What would you suggest I do?
What is the right thing to set the voltages to?
Ryzen drama calculator sounds very confusing. If you can help, I'll try from there, but none of the settings I've tried and tried have worked. I set it up as above and worked on it myself.

By the way, the ram kits have the sk hynix d-die chip.
Spend some more time with the dram calculator. There is a much better memory test then the windows one built into the calc app. Hovering the mouse cursor over things will give more info. It has all the relevant safe voltage range information for the memory and controller on the right side. Just make sure you are accurately entering all of the information in the left side fields for your configuration.

3800 MT/s and 1900 FCLK with safe primary timings and voltages from DRAM calculator should work fine. You may need to reduce your bin in the dropdown. Don't worry about the sub-timings for now. Enter the primaries, set the command rate to 1T, enable gear down mode (odd # cas latency will round up when enabled), and try the voltages from the calculator starting with the min. Leave everything else on auto.

Be sure you know how to clear cmos (there is a button on the back of your board) and save your bios settings before trying to post. I like to boot into memtest 86 and pass 1 round of testing before booting into windows to test further. Unstable memory settings can corrupt your OS install.

As I mentioned earlier memory tuning is difficult even with the calculator as a guide. The memory I suggested earlier is much better if you really want to spend the time to tune. I'd return the stuff you bought and grab those if you are determined to tune or these if you want a viable xmp profile.

Hope that helps. I don't have much else to offer besides make sure you do lots of stability testing with different utilities. Memory tuning is mostly trial and error. Prepare to get frustrated.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 DDR4 3600 (4x16GB) Samsung B-dies

I have 64GB in use and it's amazing ram. That said, I did have to figure out which slot each RAM stick worked in.

I'm going to be that you didn't test individual slots for the ram with MemTest86. I didn't and had BSOD ever 5-10 after boot. One I figured out the issue, It's rock solid with a nice overclock and is running amazingly.

While I love my AMD CPUs, the motherboards or chipsets are VERY picky about where the memory goes and how it performs. I've never had this issue with Intel. That said, once I got it figured out, it's run like a beast.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 DDR4 3600 (4x16GB) Samsung B-dies

I have 64GB in use and it's amazing ram. That said, I did have to figure out which slot each RAM stick worked in.

I'm going to be that you didn't test individual slots for the ram with MemTest86. I didn't and had BSOD ever 5-10 after boot. One I figured out the issue, It's rock solid with a nice overclock and is running amazingly.

While I love my AMD CPUs, the motherboards or chipsets are VERY picky about where the memory goes and how it performs. I've never had this issue with Intel. That said, once I got it figured out, it's run like a beast.

I had trouble with my last build, a Z97 board. I had G.Skill Trident X DDR3 1600 CL 7-8-8-24. I had trouble getting 4 sticks to post. Then I tested one stick at a time in individual slots. Figured out that I had some bad sticks of ram. But also found out that I had some bad ram slots on the mobo. So, returned the motherboard back to Amazon for a replacement. New board worked fine. RMA'd the whole set of ram directly to G.Skill due to just past 30 days. The replacement ram worked fine with the new motherboard.

Fast forward 6 years later and I built my 5950X/X570 machine. I used G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 CL 14-14-14-34. Went with 4 sticks of 8GB. The first time my build posted, I went into the bios and set the DOCP to XMP #1. Saved settings and installed Windows. Spent a month tweaking settings. Been rock solid stable. Currently my up time is at 55 days. It doesn't get more stable than that.

Reactions: Drazick

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Spend some more time with the dram calculator. There is a much better memory test then the windows one built into the calc app. Hovering the mouse cursor over things will give more info. It has all the relevant safe voltage range information for the memory and controller on the right side. Just make sure you are accurately entering all of the information in the left side fields for your configuration.

3800 MT/s and 1900 FCLK with safe primary timings and voltages from DRAM calculator should work fine. You may need to reduce your bin in the dropdown. Don't worry about the sub-timings for now. Enter the primaries, set the command rate to 1T, enable gear down mode (odd # cas latency will round up when enabled), and try the voltages from the calculator starting with the min. Leave everything else on auto.

Be sure you know how to clear cmos (there is a button on the back of your board) and save your bios settings before trying to post. I like to boot into memtest 86 and pass 1 round of testing before booting into windows to test further. Unstable memory settings can corrupt your OS install.

As I mentioned earlier memory tuning is difficult even with the calculator as a guide. The memory I suggested earlier is much better if you really want to spend the time to tune. I'd return the stuff you bought and grab those if you are determined to tune or these if you want a viable xmp profile.

Hope that helps. I don't have much else to offer besides make sure you do lots of stability testing with different utilities. Memory tuning is mostly trial and error. Prepare to get frustrated.

First of all, when I run my Rams manually, they work smoothly with 18-22-22-42 timings at 3600Mhz on FLCK1800 as 4Dimm. I'm getting 66NS latency.

When I change the speed to 3733Mhz and FCLK to 1866Mhz, the system boots but the Ramler is not stable. I get 62NS Latency at 3733Mhz. I am getting errors in MemTest process or Windows Ram Test.

When I increase the speed to 3800Mhz and FCLK to 1900, the system does not boot. BIOS reset, I get Restart.

I also tried with the Ryzen Dram Calculator. But I guess I didn't succeed because I did something wrong here.

I am writing in order;

I exported the Ram XMP values of my Rams as HTML file with Typhoon.
My rams are called Hynix D-Die.

Then I ran the Ryzen Dram Calculator application and selected the Processor Zen2 AM4.
I chose the Memory Type Hynix CJR/DJR.
I marked the memory PCB type as Manual.
I made the Memory Frequency 3800Mhz.
The BCLK value is 100. Number of DIMM Modules 4.
Motherboard X570 selected.

I selected the HTML file I saved with the Typhoon application and imported it.

I pressed the Calculate Safe button and it gave me these values that I had shared.

Which of these values should I enter? Because there are many sub-values. And some of them I can't find in BIOS. I'm using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero.

For example, I can change Power Down, Gear Down, Command Rate settings. But I could not find BGS and BGS sub-values.

For example, I could not find the values in the Cad BUS Block section. There are four separate columns, I don't know where to enter which one. So what adjustments should I make? I would be very happy if you provide information.

Attachments

• 0505.png
    0505.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 10

Rigg

May 6, 2020
First of all, when I run my Rams manually, they work smoothly with 18-22-22-42 timings at 3600Mhz on FLCK1800 as 4Dimm. I'm getting 66NS latency.

When I change the speed to 3733Mhz and FCLK to 1866Mhz, the system boots but the Ramler is not stable. I get 62NS Latency at 3733Mhz. I am getting errors in MemTest process or Windows Ram Test.

When I increase the speed to 3800Mhz and FCLK to 1900, the system does not boot. BIOS reset, I get Restart.

If you want to overclock memory you better get used to this. Like I said, trial and error.

I also tried with the Ryzen Dram Calculator. But I guess I didn't succeed because I did something wrong here.

I am writing in order;

I exported the Ram XMP values of my Rams as HTML file with Typhoon.
My rams are called Hynix D-Die.

Then I ran the Ryzen Dram Calculator application and selected the Processor Zen2 AM4.
I chose the Memory Type Hynix CJR/DJR.
I marked the memory PCB type as Manual.
I made the Memory Frequency 3800Mhz.
The BCLK value is 100. Number of DIMM Modules 4.
Motherboard X570 selected.

I selected the HTML file I saved with the Typhoon application and imported it.

I pressed the Calculate Safe button and it gave me these values that I had shared.

I've never had much luck with the typhoon HTML export. The default DRAM PCB revision values have always worked better for me. If A3/A2/B2 doesn't work A0/B0 always has for me. It worth trying fast as well but the primary timings often don't change anyway. YMMV.

Which of these values should I enter? Because there are many sub-values. And some of them I can't find in BIOS. I'm using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero.
tCL
tRCDWR
tRCDDRD
tRP
tRAS
DRAM Voltage
SOC Voltage
Gear Down Mode
Power Down Mode
Command Rate

Leave every thing else on auto. Don't exceed the max voltages listed. You may also need to tweak CCD, IOD, and VDDP voltages to get the FCLK to hit 1900. tRFC can also be experimented with but I would suggest you get a combination of the above setting stable before experimenting.

For example, I can change Power Down, Gear Down, Command Rate settings. But I could not find BGS and BGS sub-values.

For example, I could not find the values in the Cad BUS Block section. There are four separate columns, I don't know where to enter which one. So what adjustments should I make? I would be very happy if you provide information.
Don't worry about BGS and CAD_BUS settings for now. To answer your question, the first column is the recommended value for each setting and the others are alternatives you can try.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good luck and keep tweaking. I would not rely on windows memory test, but rather something better like memtest86 in UEFI mode. For 3800MHz DDR / 1900MHz FCLK, you may need to bump VSoC a bit, probably start with 1.1V.

Also, if you are just trying to get to XMP/DOCP values, and you have bumped VSoC a bit and are getting errors, it is also possible that one or more of the sticks themselves are not stable at rated frequency, timings, and voltage. If this is the case and one or more DIMMs are defective, you should return or RMA the kit.