Which political party carries out Christian values?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: Dari
I know most religious folks vote Republican but it is the Democratic that is more social in nature. The issue with abortion is cancelled by the death penalty:

They care for the poor.

They care for the environment.

They believe in equality.

Money is not a collection hobby but a means to an end.

They care more about knowledge.

How many abortions take place every year? How many executions?

More importantly, democrats don't care about the poor or the environment. They care about making others (ie the rich) care about the poor and the environment.

Just check out Al Gore in his SUVs, or John Edwards ending his poster college charity program after his dick ended his chances of being VP or Attorney General.

That line of thought can be simply expanded to the warmongers in the Republican Pary, but my point on the philosophy behind the two.

Democrats do care. That is a very simplistic view of an entire party you have there.

Ok, fine. How many people die annually in the Iraq war? And who says Democrats care about the poor?

John Edwards. 2 Americas

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I know most religious folks vote Republican but it is the Democratic that is more social in nature. The issue with abortion is cancelled by the death penalty:

They care for the poor.

How many abortions take place every year? How many executions?

More importantly, democrats don't care about the poor or the environment. They care about making others (ie the rich) care about the poor and the environment.

Just check out Al Gore in his SUVs, or John Edwards ending his poster college charity program after his dick ended his chances of being VP or Attorney General.

That line of thought can be simply expanded to the warmongers in the Republican Pary, but my point on the philosophy behind the two.

Democrats do care. That is a very simplistic view of an entire party you have there.

Ok, fine. How many people die annually in the Iraq war? And who says Democrats care about the poor?

I never mentioned Iraq. A warmonger is anyone who advocates, endorses or precipitate wars. In the Republican Party you have those that would support any conflict for personal, ideological, and financial reasons. That means that they would support a war for the simple fact of making a dollar in it. It doesn't matter that people die so long as they make money.

As for Democrats caring for the poor, legislation would support my point.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
I never mentioned Iraq. A warmonger is anyone who advocates, endorses or precipitate wars. In the Republican Party you have those that would support any conflict for personal, ideological, and financial reasons. That means that they would support a war for the simple fact of making a dollar in it. It doesn't matter that people die so long as they make money.

Which legislation would that be?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: TechAZ

The anti free trade agreements which leave millions of people in developing countries in poverty?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign
The problem is that 99% of the people believe that they personally know what is best, and that everyone else is wrong or not worth listening to unless they reflect the exact same point of view. This is more prevalent in conservatism...

LMFAO

On a day to day basis, I have just as many liberals telling me how to live my life as conservatives.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Most of those anti-poverty laws that pass your city, state, and the federal legislature.

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004

They care for the poor.

You're right of course...but as long as they support abortion and gay marriage, they will never be the "Christian" party. Ask around at your local traditional church, and you'll hear a surprising number of people tell you that it would be a SIN for them to vote for anyone who is pro-choice.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

The anti free trade agreements which leave millions of people in developing countries in poverty?

No, the ones that try to put basic property and human rights into the laws so that these nations can not only compete more fairly with the United States but also dissuade exploitation of the local population.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

No, the ones that try to put basic property and human rights into the laws so that these nations can not only compete more fairly with the United States but also dissuade exploitation of the local population.

How's that working out for all those people? I'm sure the guy making 5x the local prevailing wage is very upset about American free trade!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
The problem is that 99% of the people believe that they personally know what is best, and that everyone else is wrong or not worth listening to unless they reflect the exact same point of view. This is more prevalent in conservatism...

LMFAO

On a day to day basis, I have just as many liberals telling me how to live my life as conservatives.

Uhh... I don't doubt this is true, I just think you misunderstood what Arkaign wrote.
The fundamental underlying principle of conservativism is that everything is fine AS IS. That the status quo is not only desirable, but must be maintained at all costs. Because of this, it naturally insists on strict conformity to social mores and beliefs, including what is right and what is even worth listening to.

That's what always makes these discussions hilarious. No doubt Jesus would not support either of our 2 political parties, but there is no argument that -- in His day -- He was anything BUT a conservative. In fact, He was decidedly the kind that Butterbean today would call a "cultural Marxist."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

How's that working out for all those people? I'm sure the guy making 5x the local prevailing wage is very upset about American free trade!

Well, when you think things through intelligently, you want to have maximum benefit over the long term. Basic human and property rights are absolutely essential to prosperity for any nation that does not want to be dependent only on one commodity or manufacturing. So, these trade deals should always focus on the long term, rather than short. To make them even better, they should focus on the comparative advantages of nations, not exploitation of their weak laws.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Genx87

Yes Catholics vote heavy democrat.

And Jews not voting democrat is like blacks going republican.

Catholics have not voted Democrat since 2000 when they aligned with Dobson.

you realize there was only one election after 2000, right? :confused:

they went slightly for Gore in 2000 and slightly for Bush in 2004.

certainly not heavily democratic, but alligned with Dobson? :laugh:

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Well, when you think things through intelligently, you want to have maximum benefit over the long term. Basic human and property rights are absolutely essential to prosperity for any nation that does not want to be dependent only on one commodity or manufacturing. So, these trade deals should always focus on the long term, rather than short. To make them even better, they should focus on the comparative advantages of nations, not exploitation of their weak laws.

Please explain the positive result of 200 years of US protectionist policy and how it has benefited the poor in developed countries.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

LMFAO

Uhh... I don't doubt this is true, I just think you misunderstood what Arkaign wrote.
The fundamental underlying principle of conservativism is that everything is fine AS IS. That the status quo is not only desirable, but must be maintained at all costs. Because of this, it naturally insists on strict conformity to social mores and beliefs, including what is right and what is even worth listening to.

That's what always makes these discussions hilarious. No doubt Jesus would not support either of our 2 political parties, but there is no argument that -- in His day -- He was anything BUT a conservative. In fact, He was decidedly the kind that Butterbean today would call a "cultural Marxist."

Conservatism as the belief that everything is fine as is only makes sense if you follow liberalism to the same absurd conclusion: that everything is wrong and needs to change.

Certainly those kinds of anti-establishment types exist. They want change for the sake of change because they feel the need to fight the status quo regardless of any actual merit it may have. But it's hardly the norm, and the same goes for conservatives. Both want change, but only in their direction of choice.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

LMFAO

Conservatism as the belief that everything is fine as is only makes sense if you follow liberalism to the same absurd conclusion: that everything is wrong and needs to change.

Certainly those kinds of anti-establishment types exist. They want change for the sake of change because they feel the need to fight the status quo regardless of any actual merit it may have. But it's hardly the norm, and the same goes for conservatives. Both want change, but only in their direction of choice.

Other than the term "wrong", that's basically what Liberalism is. Liberals are open to change and are willing to change pretty much anything if it seems an improvement is available. So it's not that Liberalism thinks everything is "wrong", it's more like "everything can be improved".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Libertarians are accepting the loss of the lesser of two evils (from their view, this is generally McCain, personally, I'm not sure there's much difference one way or the other, but that's a different thread) rather than ally themselves with McCain to work for the defeat of Obama. They are willing to accept the fact that they will remain effectively unrepresented rather than vote for an enemy just because there a different enemy might win if they don't.

From your view, I would guess that McCain represents the enemy. And even though you admit that Obama isn't who you would ideally choose (if he was, you wouldn't call him the "lesser of two evils"), you are willing to vote for him because he is the enemy of your enemy (McCain). This attitude only serves to help trap us all in the two party system for the long run. It sacrifices next year in order to ensure that tomorrow is only slightly bad, rather than the willingness of most Libertarians to endure hell tomorrow in the effort to make next year legitimately good. Considered this way, choosing the lesser of two evils can seem short-sighted. ZV

Thank you for taking the time to explain your viewpoint and for doing it rationally and with sound logic. The argument makes sense based on the givens. In case you didn't see something I posted in another thread let me repost it here:

"I Have Re-Registered as a Democrat

The fateful lunch took place at about this time 40 years ago. The setting was a media hangout in Baltimore. It was called a restaurant, but was candidly more like a glorified bar, redeemed by the hunk of good beef spit-roasting in the window. Six months into my first job as a talk show host I was eager to expand my ability. I was lunching with the radio station's general manager, Don Kelly, the news director, Cliff Barrett, and promotions director, Joe Clarke. As we methodically tackled sandwiches of rare roast beef sliced from the rotating hunk on fresh kaiser rolls with just a hint of fiery horseradish, the talk turned to the dominant issue of the day.

Cube Advertisement

I had accepted America's involvement in Viet Nam. Knowing little about the history and complexity of Southeast Asia and remembering that scary summer night when President Lyndon Johnson had somberly reported to the nation that we had been attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin, I had said so be it. Now a few years later I had grown skeptical. Persuasive voices suggesting that we had made a mistake grew louder and more insistent. As the death toll in Viet Nam mounted it seemed the price for our involvement in somebody else's fight had become too high. As the "new kid on the block" I was nervous, but finally told my colleagues I had decided to change my position and on my program come out against the war.

Don Kelly asked if I was sure. I said that short of going to Viet Nam personally, I had done everything I could to justify a change in position. "So why don't you go?" the boss asked. "Too expensive," I said. "We'll pay for the trip and you'll send back reports." News Director Cliff Barrett chimed in, announcing, "I want to go too." And so we went.

The trip was life-changing. I returned an ardent foe of the war. As the son of a long line of "blue collar" Democrats, I had registered as a Democrat. When Hubert Humphrey agreed not to oppose the war in order to get Lyndon Johnson's support for the Presidential nomination, I left the Democratic Party and became a Libertarian, an affiliation I maintained until just a few weeks ago.

1968 was a pivotal year in American history. I believe 2008 is also. The Libertarian party has failed to gain meaningful traction for many reasons worth discussing at another time. For now, after a 40-year exile, I have re-registered as a Democrat, allowing me the opportunity to participate in what I see as profound and fateful choices as we attempt desperately needed political and policy course corrections. I can't sit this one out secure in my Libertarian bubble. Oliver Wendell Holmes was correct when he observed that a person must be involved in the passion and action of his or her time or be judged never to have lived.

Rallying the colonists to the daunting task of breaking the yoke of Great Britain, the mightiest power on Earth, the incendiary Thomas Paine observed that the job at hand was too important to be left to "sunshine soldiers and summer patriots." I have that same sense about today.

-Gene Burns"

I think the situations we face today after 8 years of disaster are serious and grave and that only the brainwashed and the sleeping would vote for McSame. I see it as critical that we change direction. It's not time to daydream when the tiger is at your door. Concerns about tomorrows enemy are useless when your immediate one has you in flames.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

LMFAO

I don't think you are understanding what Vic said. Conservatives do not want change. They only want to change anything that changes back to what it was. That is not what change means. Conservatives do not want change.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Thank you for taking the time to explain your viewpoint and for doing it rationally and with sound logic. The argument makes sense based on the givens. In case you didn't see something I posted in another thread let me repost it here:

"I Have Re-Registered as a Democrat

The fateful lunch took place at about this time 40 years ago. The setting was a media hangout in Baltimore. It was called a restaurant, but was candidly more like a glorified bar, redeemed by the hunk of good beef spit-roasting in the window. Six months into my first job as a talk show host I was eager to expand my ability. I was lunching with the radio station's general manager, Don Kelly, the news director, Cliff Barrett, and promotions director, Joe Clarke. As we methodically tackled sandwiches of rare roast beef sliced from the rotating hunk on fresh kaiser rolls with just a hint of fiery horseradish, the talk turned to the dominant issue of the day.

Cube Advertisement

I had accepted America's involvement in Viet Nam. Knowing little about the history and complexity of Southeast Asia and remembering that scary summer night when President Lyndon Johnson had somberly reported to the nation that we had been attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin, I had said so be it. Now a few years later I had grown skeptical. Persuasive voices suggesting that we had made a mistake grew louder and more insistent. As the death toll in Viet Nam mounted it seemed the price for our involvement in somebody else's fight had become too high. As the "new kid on the block" I was nervous, but finally told my colleagues I had decided to change my position and on my program come out against the war.

Don Kelly asked if I was sure. I said that short of going to Viet Nam personally, I had done everything I could to justify a change in position. "So why don't you go?" the boss asked. "Too expensive," I said. "We'll pay for the trip and you'll send back reports." News Director Cliff Barrett chimed in, announcing, "I want to go too." And so we went.

The trip was life-changing. I returned an ardent foe of the war. As the son of a long line of "blue collar" Democrats, I had registered as a Democrat. When Hubert Humphrey agreed not to oppose the war in order to get Lyndon Johnson's support for the Presidential nomination, I left the Democratic Party and became a Libertarian, an affiliation I maintained until just a few weeks ago.

1968 was a pivotal year in American history. I believe 2008 is also. The Libertarian party has failed to gain meaningful traction for many reasons worth discussing at another time. For now, after a 40-year exile, I have re-registered as a Democrat, allowing me the opportunity to participate in what I see as profound and fateful choices as we attempt desperately needed political and policy course corrections. I can't sit this one out secure in my Libertarian bubble. Oliver Wendell Holmes was correct when he observed that a person must be involved in the passion and action of his or her time or be judged never to have lived.

Rallying the colonists to the daunting task of breaking the yoke of Great Britain, the mightiest power on Earth, the incendiary Thomas Paine observed that the job at hand was too important to be left to "sunshine soldiers and summer patriots." I have that same sense about today.

-Gene Burns"

I think the situations we face today after 8 years of disaster are serious and grave and that only the brainwashed and the sleeping would vote for McSame. I see it as critical that we change direction. It's not time to daydream when the tiger is at your door. Concerns about tomorrows enemy are useless when your immediate one has you in flames.

Interesting. I can see this point of view, and I understand the attractiveness of it. I rather wish I could share your belief that what is can be salvaged, can be repaired somehow. But I don't. What we have now needs to be torn down to the foundation and rebuilt, and that seems inevitable to me. I simply don't want to be part of prolonging something that I see as passing away.

ZV

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Please explain the positive result of 200 years of US protectionist policy and how it has benefited the poor in developed countries.

You are clearly a moron. When has the US had a 200 year protectionist policy against poor nations? Most, if not all, of those countries were colonies.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Tab
Where did you get the impression religious folks vote republican?

I can think of two prominent religious voting blocks who typically vote democrat.

Jews
Catholics

What you have is conservative religions vs liberal religions. There is such a thing as the religious left. What they cant get at the collection plate they want govt to take and give to the poor.

'cause that's what the demographics say?

:confused:

Catholics voting for the party that's pro-choice? As for jews, I have no idea which party they favor if any.

Yes Catholics vote heavy democrat. And Jews not voting democrat is like blacks going republican.

Hmm, I guess you're right. Things certainly have changed, thanks GWB! :D:thumbsup:

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80
Did Jesus use his God wand to force Caesar to do good? No he was all about personal actions of salvation.

Your diversion here doesn't change the fact that you were ignorant of the Bible.

Even worse is the way you pretend that Republicans don't believe in pre-emptive govt actions, laws, and punishments. Talk about a line of horseshit! Pal, the day the Republican party adopts libertarian ideologies is the day I become a Republican. Please take careful note that that hasn't happened yet, and I doubt that it ever will.

Then why are you a fervent Obamabot? He's as anti-Libertarian as they get.

Please show how Barack Obama is "anti-Libertarian" as they get.

Thanks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Interesting. I can see this point of view, and I understand the attractiveness of it. I rather wish I could share your belief that what is can be salvaged, can be repaired somehow. But I don't. What we have now needs to be torn down to the foundation and rebuilt, and that seems inevitable to me. I simply don't want to be part of prolonging something that I see as passing away.

Exactly. You long for catastrophe and revolution and I seek reason and evolution. You are frustrated by powerlessness of negativity and I have hope in the goodness of man. You call for the wrath of God and I ask for His love. You don't see that what needs to be salvaged and can be repaired is your self that everything is was and always will be perfect. Not intended as criticism, but as something to reflect on as a possibility.

The actual reality, it seems to me, is that change can only be done by those who are elected. The libertarians have been a minority forever and I can't see that changing. I can see the Democratic party as potentially evolving though as we become more progressive in general as a nation. If people stopped voting for the two parties things would change no doubt, but people won't so that's, though a fine dream, isn't real.

A mighty wave is coming and it's consciousness.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Tab
Did Jesus use his God wand to force Caesar to do good? No he was all about personal actions of salvation.

Your diversion here doesn't change the fact that you were ignorant of the Bible.

Even worse is the way you pretend that Republicans don't believe in pre-emptive govt actions, laws, and punishments. Talk about a line of horseshit! Pal, the day the Republican party adopts libertarian ideologies is the day I become a Republican. Please take careful note that that hasn't happened yet, and I doubt that it ever will.

Then why are you a fervent Obamabot? He's as anti-Libertarian as they get.

Please show how Barack Obama is "anti-Libertarian" as they get.

Thanks.

Obamabot is the bot name for an Obama supporter.