Which political party carries out Christian values?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Only the true believer in any of the millions of one true faiths or systems is on the right track in his own opinion. I destroyed all that I believed. I am truly free because I am free of belief. I know nothing, I have no belief. I am a slave to my being. You are free from me because I have nothing with which to enslave you. I died to all those ropes. ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
There is no evil in the world that thinks itself anything but good. Always the intentions are good. It is the fate of all dreamers to do evil in the name of good.

Now, go look in the mirror and say that to yourself ten times. Repeat until you understand that you are describing the Democrats in regards to their social programs, and the Republicans in regards to war.

You may as well rename libertarianism as Sharia law. And don't forget, Freedom is Slavery.

Keep saying things like this, it just makes you look foolish.

That's why I have a clown icon, remember. I am a mirror. :) And naturally, as a clown you are welcome and at home with me.

You hit the bedrock of your bigotry here. You have the unexamined assumption that you know what freedom and liberty are. You lack humility. You are sure. And because you are sure you are dangerous. I am not sure and consciously refuse to impose. I have no needs that need filling. Your sureness is what fanaticism and absolutism are. Everything an unconscious assumption of rightness.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Now, go look in the mirror and say that to yourself ten times. Repeat until you understand that you are describing the Democrats in regards to their social programs, and the Republicans in regards to war.

Of course. I will vote for the least of the two evils if it has a chance to win. I'm not going to be a pig head just for the sake of my stupid ego. I'd rather hold my nose and vote than smell my ridiculous self every day thereafter.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Only the true believer in any of the millions of one true faiths or systems is on the right track in his own opinion. I destroyed all that I believed. I am truly free because I am free of belief. I know nothing, I have no belief. I am a slave to my being. You are free from me because I have nothing with which to enslave you. I died to all those ropes. ;)

Bullshit. If you really believed that you wouldn't be a Democrat.

And way to ignore my post, btw.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
Where did you get the impression religious folks vote republican?

I can think of two prominent religious voting blocks who typically vote democrat.

Jews
Catholics

What you have is conservative religions vs liberal religions. There is such a thing as the religious left. What they cant get at the collection plate they want govt to take and give to the poor.

'cause that's what the demographics say?

:confused:

Catholics voting for the party that's pro-choice? As for jews, I have no idea which party they favor if any.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
There is no evil in the world that thinks itself anything but good. Always the intentions are good. It is the fate of all dreamers to do evil in the name of good.

You may as well rename libertarianism as Sharia law. And don't forget, Freedom is Slavery.

Keep saying things like this, it just makes you look foolish.

That's why I have a clown icon, remember. I am a mirror. :) And naturally, as a clown you are welcome and at home with me.

You hit the bedrock of your bigotry here. You have the unexamined assumption that you know what freedom and liberty are. You lack humility. You are sure. And because you are sure you are dangerous. I am not sure and consciously refuse to impose. I have no needs that need filling. Your sureness is what fanaticism and absolutism are. Everything an unconscious assumption of rightness.

You refuse to impose?

Keep typing the bullshit.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Of course. I will vote for the least of the two evils if it has a chance to win. I'm not going to be a pig head just for the sake of my stupid ego. I'd rather hold my nose and vote than smell my ridiculous self every day thereafter.

Those who vote for the lesser of two evils are nothing more than victims of their own crime.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

That's a great line, Moonie!

Those who vote for the lesser of two evils are nothing more than victims of their own crime.

Bullshit and I'll just point at our current administration for proof.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Why confine the question to just the US? But among the people of the book, its ironically the Muslim religion that best examplifies what amounts to Christian values. Sadly, by in large, Muslims do no better than Christians and Jews in choosing their leaders.

But in reality, Christian and Jewish leaders have mightier swords and its the Muslims who have the oil, so Muslim leaders get beat if they get uppity, and as a result we get a lot of Muslim terrorists.

What drives current history 101. The class, the clueless, and the classless dismissed.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Democrats, by a long shot. Kindess, mercy, unselfishness, empathy are what I'd call Christian values and the Republicans are short on those. They may try and score brownie points with God by limiting abortions but then go and support capital punishment (do you really think Jesus would want you pulling that lever?) and are more likely to condone torture as well as resort to phsyical aggression.

The Republican party is poisoned and grossly misguided, I think.
They're like modern day Pharisees, letting everyone see how pious they are in order to gain favor, judging the morality of those around them instead of accepting people for who they are.
Could not agree more.

Jesus was no Robin Hood. He taught people to fish, not steal a fish from Jon to give to Jack. That is not compassion. He taught us about INDIVIDUAL SALVATION, which was essentially salvation without the CHURCH/TEMPLE. Republican (in principle) is about individual choices, whereas Democrat (in principle) is about government handling many issues.

Democrats are the modern day Pharisees (who had a monopoly on God through religion and the temple, requiring tithes and sacrifice in order to repent) using government as the gateway to salvation, whereas Jesus was all about breaking through the monopoly and having a direct relationship with God without the middleman.

My God, that's some seriously good crack you smoke!

- Jesus never taught anyone to fish. Read that book in your hands. He feed the multitude with 5 loaves and 2 fish, and instructed his disciples to be "fishers of men."
- Jesus did teach that poor Jack should not steal (or even covet) rich Jon's fish, but he also taught that if rich John doesn't give his excess fish freely to poor Jack, that rich John will burn in hell.
- Republicans could not give a rat's ass about individual choices. They're just as authoritarian as Democrats, except occasionally in different ways.
- The sin of the Pharisees at that time was that they insisted on adherence to the detailed letter of the law instead of its spirit. They were the conservatives to his radical liberalism.
- Except Jesus is your 'middleman' with God.

And answering the OP: no party.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Exactly. And you are guilty of aiding and abetting the greater evil so you are more evil than me and guilty of your own greater crime.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Dari
Topic Title: Which political party carries out Christian values?
Topic Summary: Republican or Democrat

I know most religious folks vote Republican but it is the Democratic that is more social in nature. The issue with abortion is cancelled by the death penalty:

They care for the poor.

They care for the environment.

They believe in equality.

Money is not a collection hobby but a means to an end.

They care more about knowledge.

Epic Fail

None of that is "Christian Values".

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DomS
The Republicans use a message the corrupts Christianity. They're like modern day Pharisees, letting everyone see how pious they are in order to gain favor, judging the morality of those around them instead of accepting people for who they are.

Republicans have wrapped themselves in sham religiosity, pandering to extreme religious whackos and pimping their agenda of war, legislating in favor of the wealthy few at the expense of the needs of the general public and most notably, the poor.

They started an unjustified, illegal war in Iraq based entirely on LIES that, as of 8/11/08, has killed 4139 American troops and left tens of thousands wounded, scarred and disabled for life.
rose.gif
:(

They have repeatedly lied to Congress, the American people and the world about every reason they offered for starting that war.

They removed critical oversight of big business and allowed corporate thieves to plunder our financial institutions while receiving enormous contributions to themselves and their party.

Whatever happened to:

Thou shalt not commit murder.
Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Thou shalt not steal.

And fuck petty "swearing" or "cursing" ... Claiming they were committing all of their egregious crimes in the name of their so called "savior" is about as gross a violation the commandment against taking the name of their deity in vain as I could imagine.

The Bushwhackos and their sycophants in Congress have committed treason, murder, torture and other crimes against humanity.

Christians like them are the reason I always root for the Lions.

See my sig.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I know most religious folks vote Republican but it is the Democratic that is more social in nature. The issue with abortion is cancelled by the death penalty:

They care for the poor.

Sorry. Christians don't kill children. Killing a criminal is in the pursuit of justice. Killing a child is in the pursuit of convenience. That's a sin, a horrible one.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Sorry. Christians don't kill children. Killing a criminal is in the pursuit of justice. Killing a child is in the pursuit of convenience. That's a sin, a horrible one.

What of the thousands of children killed in the Iraq War? Is that not a sin as well?

This thread reminds me of my favorite Abraham Lincoln quote:
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right."

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Atreus21

They care for the poor.

Only in the eyes of a fanatical absolutist. Killing in the name of justice is far more evil than stepping on an amoeba. Your absolute determination that human life begins at conception, while it makes tons of sense, leads inevitably to the notion that women are slaves with no right to control voluntarily what nature dealt them as involuntary. You may as well push for the execution of fathers whose children are aborted because they got involved in creating a crime. Absolutism is fanaticism and fanaticism is insane. Practical people have decided that the a person isn't a person at conception, legally, even though it obviously is, because practical people deal rationally with paradox and accommodate to the middle.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Democrats, by a long shot. Kindess, mercy, unselfishness, empathy are what I'd call Christian values and the Republicans are short on those. They may try and score brownie points with God by limiting abortions but then go and support capital punishment (do you really think Jesus would want you pulling that lever?) and are more likely to condone torture as well as resort to phsyical aggression.

They're like modern day Pharisees, letting everyone see how pious they are in order to gain favor, judging the morality of those around them instead of accepting people for who they are.
Could not agree more.

Jesus was no Robin Hood. He taught people to fish, not steal a fish from Jon to give to Jack. That is not compassion. He taught us about INDIVIDUAL SALVATION, which was essentially salvation without the CHURCH/TEMPLE. Republican (in principle) is about individual choices, whereas Democrat (in principle) is about government handling many issues.

Democrats are the modern day Pharisees (who had a monopoly on God through religion and the temple, requiring tithes and sacrifice in order to repent) using government as the gateway to salvation, whereas Jesus was all about breaking through the monopoly and having a direct relationship with God without the middleman.

My God, that's some seriously good crack you smoke!

- Jesus never taught anyone to fish. Read that book in your hands. He feed the multitude with 5 loaves and 2 fish, and instructed his disciples to be "fishers of men."
- Jesus did teach that poor Jack should not steal (or even covet) rich Jon's fish, but he also taught that if rich John doesn't give his excess fish freely to poor Jack, that rich John will burn in hell.
- Republicans could not give a rat's ass about individual choices. They're just as authoritarian as Democrats, except occasionally in different ways.
- The sin of the Pharisees at that time was that they insisted on adherence to the detailed letter of the law instead of its spirit. They were the conservatives to his radical liberalism.
- Except Jesus is your 'middleman' with God.

And answering the OP: no party.

-John can burn in hell for being greedy, but that's his choice, that example proves my point
-I never claimed Republicans were better than Dems in practice, I implied in philosophy
-Jesus is not the middleman, he is God

But if you mean by "no party" what party in practice carries out Christian values, then I agree.

And thanks for the crack smoking personal attack.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Could not agree more.

Huh? About all the Fishing Lessons he gave were, "Cast the net on the other side.", which is considered one of his Miracles since suddenly the fishers had too many fish in their nets. So he either taught them the wisdom of having a Fish Finder, Magic to just create fish on the spot, or perhaps the wisdom of Hatcheries. I dunno which, but he taught no one to Fish.

On a couple other occassions he took a few scraps from the crowd and multiplied them and fed the crowd. There was nothing about Personal Responsibility or Self Sufficiency here.

How many Sick did he Heal? I dunno, but there were lots. Not once did he suggest that these people should choose a Career Path that could afford them better Healthcare.

Not once did Jesus turn away a person in Need. He just provided for that Need. No Conditions, no Forms to fill out, no berating. Attempts to paint Jesus as a Republican are pathetic mental exercises.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski

Could not agree more.

Huh? About all the Fishing Lessons he gave were, "Cast the net on the other side.", which is considered one of his Miracles since suddenly the fishers had too many fish in their nets. So he either taught them the wisdom of having a Fish Finder, Magic to just create fish on the spot, or perhaps the wisdom of Hatcheries. I dunno which, but he taught no one to Fish.

On a couple other occassions he took a few scraps from the crowd and multiplied them and fed the crowd. There was nothing about Personal Responsibility or Self Sufficiency here.

How many Sick did he Heal? I dunno, but there were lots. Not once did he suggest that these people should choose a Career Path that could afford them better Healthcare.

Not once did Jesus turn away a person in Need. He just provided for that Need. No Conditions, no Forms to fill out, no berating. Attempts to paint Jesus as a Republican are pathetic mental exercises.

Did Jesus use his God wand to force Caesar to do good? No he was all about personal actions of salvation.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

They care for the poor.

A truly Christian party would realise that the virtue which is forced under threat of governmental punishment is not virtue at all.

So, I'm going to go with Libertarians.

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar?s, and unto God the things that are God?s." It is not the place of government to enforce virtue.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The Libertarian Party.

I don't think Jesus would approve of stealing money from people even if the money goes to helping others.

And how many people give because of religious extortion commandment, as a hope they will get to heaven. Isn't anybody who gives under religious delusions just another form of slave?

And how about giving and getting satisfaction in return. Is such a person a real giver? Shouldn't real giving hurt? Wouldn't good libertarians all be totally poor from giving?

On the first part: If a person is giving simply out of a desire to get into Heaven, that person is no Christian.

Giving to the point where one injures oneself limits one's ability to continue to give and is a negative value in the long term. Most people (myself emphatically included) should give more than they do, but one should never approach personal destruction because of giving too much.

ZV

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: DomS
The Republicans use a message the corrupts Christianity. They're like modern day Pharisees, letting everyone see how pious they are in order to gain favor, judging the morality of those around them instead of accepting people for who they are.

this.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Tab
Originally posted by: Genx87
Where did you get the impression religious folks vote republican?

I can think of two prominent religious voting blocks who typically vote democrat.

Jews
Catholics

What you have is conservative religions vs liberal religions. There is such a thing as the religious left. What they cant get at the collection plate they want govt to take and give to the poor.

'cause that's what the demographics say?

:confused:

Catholics voting for the party that's pro-choice? As for jews, I have no idea which party they favor if any.

Most catholics are more concerned with human rights and social issues than with abortion. the catholic church does make a big hubub about abortion and there are many catholics who say if you don't vote republican you aren't a christian/catholic because of that issue. yet they ignore the fact that the vatican speaks outright against the iraq war. bunch of idiots if you ask me. those same people support the iraq war and killing of grown people :confused: makes no sense to me

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Exactly. And you are guilty of aiding and abetting the greater evil so you are more evil than me and guilty of your own greater crime.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend then? For that is exactly what choosing the lesser of two evils says. This is the same thinking that armed Saddam with US weapons in the 1970's. This is the same thinking that caused so much trouble from US intervention in South and Central America.

That mentality is nothing more than a willingness to trade a great, but brief, pain for a lesser pain that will never be cured. Much like the proverbial boiling frog, you are content to turn up the heat in small increments provided that it does not upset you by boiling immediately. I would gladly set the water boiling right now because it has at least a chance of getting some of you frogs to jump out of the pot.

ZV