Which AAA title are you most excited about? Vote, then read/post. POAL!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which upcoming major PC games release are you most excited about?

• Diablo 3

• Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3

• Battlefield 3

• Skyrim

• Rage

• ALL OF THEM!!

• None of these sound good

• Other game not listed (put in reply)

Results are only viewable after voting.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Skyrim. I'm one of the (few?) people who liked vanilla Oblivion, and it seems they are fixing the few problems I had with it in Skyrim.

Next would be Anno 2070 I think, but I don't know if that's AAA or not, what makes a game a AAA title anyway?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
but I don't know if that's AAA or not, what makes a game a AAA title anyway?

The size of battery it uses.

I think AAA is used to group together those games which will be very heavily hyped due to one thing or another.

My general trend towards Indie titles gives you somewhat of an inkling as to what I think about most "AAA" titles. My last big game purchase was Dawn of War 2: Retribution, and that's more of a standalone expansion.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Max Payne 3

i am still holding out for a 12/1/11 release date :p

On that incredibly short list, Skyrim and Rage; not on the list, Batman: Arkham City

"AAA" stands for the exorbitant amount of money wasted on a title
:whiste:

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Mas Effect 3, Star Wars Old Republic (for the promised single-player RPG-ish content, not as a MMO), Skyrim.

I'm just finishing up 120+ hours of Borderlands (one mssion left in Claptrap DLC) and have all of the New Vegas DLC to play, so Rage seems like more of the same. Perhaps id will surprise me.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I stopped reading there. Some people just can't be pleased. In my opinion the last year has been awesome for PC gaming, and I have more games in my Steam catalog than I have time to play.

Edit - voted BF3, which is clearly the only sensible answer. Anyone who says Diablo 3 is wrong. This is not a matter of opinion.

:rolleyes:

P.S. I agree with the first statement of your post.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Diablo III by far. Rage could be interesting, and visually impressive. I love apocalyptic settings. Skyrim, I'm not sure about. I generally don't like first person views. Especially in an RPG. The two consolized shooters I don't care about at all.

Skyrim has third person view as well.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
What do you mean by online only? There is no single player game, or you have to be connected to the internet to play?

Yes, you always have to be online. A dumb, non-sensical decision to try to fight piracy.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Almost every AAA title is recent history has been profitable, so I don't see how the money is "wasted".

Two points.

In a lot of AAA titles, a lot of money seems to go down the drain somewhere because it certainly isn't put into the Graphics/Atmosphere/Storyline/AI/Control Systems/Performance Tweaking/Originality etc (Delete or add as appropriate)

Big budget but little to show for it other than an average/slightly above average but nowhere near the hype game.

Secondly, a lot of people who purchase the games early are hit with the high price and feel let down by the content inside. Wasted money there in some opinions.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Skyrim has third person view as well.

But not a good third person overhead view like Fallout 1 & 2, Dungeon Siege, or WoW. More of an over ythe shoulder view.

First person really kills the immersion for me.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Yes, you always have to be online. A dumb, non-sensical decision to try to fight piracy.

That's acceptable to me, so long as there is still a single player campaign. Is there replayability when you get to the "end", or?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
That's acceptable to me, so long as there is still a single player campaign. Is there replayability when you get to the "end", or?

Oh, have you never played Diablo 2?

If you beat the campaign in normal, you can continue with the same char on higher difficulties that have new monsters/equipment/etc and allow you to level higher.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
But not a good third person overhead view like Fallout 1 & 2, Dungeon Siege, or WoW. More of an over ythe shoulder view.

First person really kills the immersion for me.

That is pretty strange....first person is done for the sake of immersion.

Third person is done for the sake of gameplay mechanics.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
0 0%
lulz

eadInc

Mar 31, 2009
Three games I'm waiting for on PC are TOR, Arkham City, ME3 and Bioshock Infinite.

Last edited:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Oh, have you never played Diablo 2?

If you beat the campaign in normal, you can continue with the same char on higher difficulties that have new monsters/equipment/etc and allow you to level higher.

No.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
That is pretty strange....first person is done for the sake of immersion.

Third person is done for the sake of gameplay mechanics.

Seeing my character moving around under an overhead view is the most immersive for me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

this, though I may never play D3. who knows...

I am most excited about Guild Wars II, though. Lots of haters, here, but it will quite likely be amazing.

better than the shitty Star Wars game, anyway. :awe:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
this, though I may never play D3. who knows...

I am most excited about Guild Wars II, though. Lots of haters, here, but it will quite likely be amazing.

better than the shitty Star Wars game, anyway. :awe:

Lol, I'm not a fan of GW, but I bet you're right.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Other GW2 but I don't think that counts as AAA

To me, AAA is production value and actual quality, and not determined by hype/paid reviews, expectations or whatever.

I think it has as good a chance as any of those games to be phenomenal, or flop.