Which AAA title are you most excited about? Vote, then read/post. POAL!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which upcoming major PC games release are you most excited about?

• Diablo 3

• Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 3

• Battlefield 3

• Skyrim

• Rage

• ALL OF THEM!!

• None of these sound good

• Other game not listed (put in reply)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 27, 2007
PC games have had a pretty dry run for a little while imho
I stopped reading there. Some people just can't be pleased. In my opinion the last year has been awesome for PC gaming, and I have more games in my Steam catalog than I have time to play.

Edit - voted BF3, which is clearly the only sensible answer. Anyone who says Diablo 3 is wrong. This is not a matter of opinion.

Oct 27, 2007
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War expansion pack #3 or Dawn of War 3... whichever they fancy.

Very nervous about that because they really threw away most of the good that they'd earned themselves with Chaos Rising when they made the debacle that was Retribution
What don't you like about Retribution? I just started playing it (finished something like 5 levels in the Ork campaign and played a few skirmishes) and I think it's great. I never played Chaos Rising.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Rage. Hadn't looked into it much for a looong time until today. After seeing it up for $43 on newegg pre-order and watching a few vids, think it looks really good.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
What don't you like about Retribution? I just started playing it (finished something like 5 levels in the Ork campaign and played a few skirmishes) and I think it's great. I never played Chaos Rising.

I'm an SP-only player and I don't like the way they've done the campaigns.

The lowered RPG elements were not to my taste with the reduced level cap and new stat/abilities system removing much of the sense of achievement I had out of the game.

The between-missions 'pick a weapon or buy an upgrade for a generic squad' thing didn't appeal to me and nor did the buying squads in the field thing. Whilst that'd be a great idea for some races, it didn't wash well with me for the Space Marines, as by the end I commanded a huge army.

The whole multiple campaigns thing sounded interesting but in practice, they pulled off an awful show of it with everything feeling very "I can't be bothered to make it good so I'll just keep it really simple." When you start your second campaign, you'll know exactly what I mean because I really don't want to be a killjoy of any kind.

Additions to The Last Stand were great and multiplayer sounds good, especially after they worked out the early Steam matchmaking issues.

They also chose a bad DLC route. Pay us money for skin packs or some extra items in TLS. Whilst the items might not be 'too bad' a price for more flexibility, the skin packs are a ridiculous price for what they are.

Chaos Rising contained one fully fledged Space Marine storyline, continuing on and improving greatly from the original DoW2 campaign, and set things up for a really great finish to the whole thing. The final boss fight was horrific, especially with the crash bugs, but the campaign was memorable and had replay value beyond different squad load outs and stats.

Retribution was a step back, making it worse than DoW2's original campaign (imo)

Oct 27, 2007
Looks like I'll need to play Chaos Rising :) It has been in my Steam catalog since release but I never got around to playing it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Looks like I'll need to play Chaos Rising :) It has been in my Steam catalog since release but I never got around to playing it.

100% for certain before you play the SM Campaign in Retribution,

Plus, it's the best of all of the DoW1/2's for single player experience imo.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Diablo III by far. Rage could be interesting, and visually impressive. I love apocalyptic settings. Skyrim, I'm not sure about. I generally don't like first person views. Especially in an RPG. The two consolized shooters I don't care about at all.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Diablo III by far. Rage could be interesting, and visually impressive. I love apocalyptic settings. Skyrim, I'm not sure about. I generally don't like first person views. Especially in an RPG. The two consolized shooters I don't care about at all.

Fwiw, one could play ES:4 with 3rd-person rear overhead perspective, though it was a little bit difficult for me to get used to, so I never bothered. I'm not sure, but I would think the option will also be in ES:5.

BF3 is not consolized :) At least not in any way that I can tell. The PC version supports 64 players, DX11, and truly huge maps, the console versions are limited to 32 players and older graphics. I can understand not being into the whole military shooter thing though.

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
Mass Effect 3. But there's quite some time to release still. Skyrim could be interesting - but I'm sceptical as I don't like 1st person RPG.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Battlefield 3 without a doubt. Close second to Rage because I'm intrigued and always have been, about ID software. I would have said Diablo3 if it wasn't online only...that destroys any hope it has to be in my collection at any price, even free. Mass Effect will be pushed back again I'm betting so I'm not even going to list it.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Mass Effect 3. But there's quite some time to release still. Skyrim could be interesting - but I'm sceptical as I don't like 1st person RPG.

I was debating whether or not to put ME3 in the poll, but with the delay knocking it out of 'holiday '11' release date, decided that it might be out of the near-future range I'm talking about.

Of course Diablo 3 might be delayed going on Blizzard's slow schedules, but I thought since it's going invite-beta now that it's getting fairly close. Skyrim has been shown with extended gameplay previews, so I think that'll come on time in November. BF3 definitely won't be late. Rage is really the only question mark, but I think it'll be ready. MW3 is a given, it's just a rebadge expansion pack :D

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm also looking forward to Assassin's Creed: Revelations, but Ubisoft has failed to release the PC version on time with every iteration so far, so I won't hold my breath.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Battlefield 3 without a doubt. Close second to Rage because I'm intrigued and always have been, about ID software. I would have said Diablo3 if it wasn't online only...that destroys any hope it has to be in my collection at any price, even free. Mass Effect will be pushed back again I'm betting so I'm not even going to list it.

What do you mean by online only? There is no single player game, or you have to be connected to the internet to play?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Nothing in the poll, those all look boring to me. I think I'd say Serious Sam of Arkham City.

KT

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
BF3, Skyrim, Rage, Arkham City, and the new Tribes game for this year.
I'd mention Space Marine, Dead Island, and Hard Reset but they are all coming on in the next week or two.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Definitely ME3.

I'm looking forward to the next Risen game, just to see if they can take the same kind of step they took from Gothic to Gothic2.

Dead Island intrigues me for some reason.