Where will Irma make landfall? Please post your predictions

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Where will Irma make landfall?

• Texas to punish the heathen republicans

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Along the east coast to punish heathen democrats

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Whereever Pat Robertson declares it to go

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A costal area somewhere with people on it

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Along the gulf coast because gas prices are too cheap right now

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • My magic 8 ball is still cloudy on this one

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Hmm, God sending a message by moving track west?
Girls like Irma like to do the violating so when she found out that Donald's properties were over on the east side she had no choice but to veer away.:p I've charged all of my batteries for the action camera so I can put it outside someplace and let it record the show. I'll face it to the SE but in reality all I expect is a prolonged thunderstorm. It's the people on the actual coast that are about to get pounded into FEMA submission.:eek:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Girls like Irma like to do the violating so when she found out that Donald's properties were over on the east side she had no choice but to veer away.:p I've charged all of my batteries for the action camera so I can put it outside someplace and let it record the show. I'll face it to the SE but in reality all I expect is a prolonged thunderstorm. It's the people on the actual coast that are about to get pounded into FEMA submission.:eek:

My company has a boat on the St Johns River which was being used to field test our propulsion system release in November. This beast was in development for seven years. The boat is going to be left on the river with anchors I think. The release date is going to be delayed because of this and if something happens to the boat the delay will be substantial.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
My company has a boat on the St Johns River which was being used to field test our propulsion system release in November. This beast was in development for seven years. The boat is going to be left on the river with anchors I think. The release date is going to be delayed because of this and if something happens to the boat the delay will be substantial.

the boat will likely be fine--it will just take some time finding it after the storm passes.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
the boat will likely be fine--it will just take some time finding it after the storm passes.
What about those fishermen in the Keys who've lashed their fishing boats to some trees in hopes of saving them? They kind of remind me of the fishermen in LA during Katrina who put their entire families on their fishing boats in the backwaters of the bayous and we all know what happened with that.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Currently a Cat 3, might it not rev up that much as it's about to hit 'the hot patch' but at night?

Just saw an interview of a guy quitting the Keys, last minute change of mind. The follow up hurricane helped with that. He said he was really worried for a lot of people he knew that decided to stay. Said the Key West high school was pretty much full. I took the ACT there when I was 17, don't recall being too impressed with the place.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The eyewall moved back over open water several hours ago and the SW eyewall has been strengthening since its brush with Cuba. Notice that its only moving at 9mph which is giving it more time to draw energy from the sea.

There's a very large feeder band just offshore right now from Jacksonville and the winds have been in flux all day long as Irma's circulation has started dominating the local weather. I don't really expect for it to be any different here than it was for Matthew last year which devastated the beaches. He did clear out a lot of weak tree branches in other peoples yards but a small tornado beat him to mine.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I can see trying to ride it out on the mainland, but doing it on the islands seems really stupid for big storm like this.

LEOs and fire personal got the hell out. Better hope those bridges make it or it'll be awhile until you see them back in quantity.

I wonder if they left the lighthouse open at Whale Harbor? Anyone know? Something tells me someone will try to ride it out in there like a bunch of people did during that huge hurricane decades ago. Say goodbye to Dolphins Plus, I'm related to the family that runs it. Just heard they're going to release the dolphins so they don't get crushed against facility structure and die.

Also just overheard that the Key West high school is rated for Cat 5 storms, I stand corrected.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I can see trying to ride it out on the mainland, but doing it on the islands seems really stupid for big storm like this.

LEOs and fire personal got the hell out. Better hope those bridges make it or it'll be awhile until you see them back in quantity.

The one guy, at least, is staying in what sounds like a bunker. Structure rated for Cat 5, at least a foot thick steel reinforced concrete walls, generator with a month of gasoline for continuous running, 400 gallons of water with a desalination system as well, etc. I mean, I guess he'll be fine, but still seems somewhat silly - especially as he has a wife and kids who already bailed. If I were single and had something like that to bunker in, I may stay, but not with a family worrying.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Based upon the latest track of the storm I wouldn't be surprised if the hurricane warnings for the Jacksonville area aren't dropped later on for tropical storm warnings. I'll take it but feel for those who will bear the brunt of it.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Made landfall this morning on Cudjoe Key as Category 4. About 20 miles NE of Key West and 130 MPH sustained winds. That one asshat that got temp banned a few pages back said he had a house on Pigeon Key which is 20 miles E. That means Pigeon Key would be facing the strongest winds on NE side of eyewall. He said he wouldn't let his neighbors shelter in his new reinforced house. Really sad if that's true, hope people on the keys got out.

Seems like they missed the forecast on this one. I'm reading articles how east side of FL was all prepared and the west side got caught a little off guard with the changing forecast. My parents have a place in Estero but they are here in the Midwest currently.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I thought this was interesting looks like kevlar straps can't imagine the ground holding though.

21414947_10155028461057613_7606538029383194108_o.jpg

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
That's on purpose. They were told to unlock the cranes so they can spin freely, because it makes them harder for wind to topple.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I thought this was interesting looks like kevlar straps can't imagine the ground holding though.

21414947_10155028461057613_7606538029383194108_o.jpg

That's really only useful if the house isn't up to code.

Houses in coastal counties generally require hurricane straps which are metal straps that secure the studs to the foundation and the roof and joists to the studs.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's really only useful if the house isn't up to code.

Houses in coastal counties generally require hurricane straps which are metal straps that secure the studs to the foundation and the roof and joists to the studs.

It could easily have been built before hurricane straps became part of the code.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The sooner it makes landfall, the better, but it doesn't look that way. Looks like it will hug the coast on a northerly course inflicting widespread damage from Everglades City up to St Petersburg & beyond.

Houston may look like a picnic before this is over.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
The sooner it makes landfall, the better, but it doesn't look that way. Looks like it will hug the coast on a northerly course inflicting widespread damage from Everglades City up to St Petersburg & beyond.

Houston may look like a picnic before this is over.

Why oh why could it not hit Mar-a-Lago and just stay there and leave everyone alone?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
That's on purpose. They were told to unlock the cranes so they can spin freely, because it makes them harder for wind to topple.
I put that there as a point of reference along with the stories to avoid the cranes for this express purpose.