Where are the damn Fermi reviews already!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
If you've waited this long then why not let nVidia bend you over a bit harder with their BS. March 10th, April XX.... well DX11 doesn't matter as much as physx anyways right?... anyone with a desire to upgrade and any wits about them has one already and/or is not going to be waiting for more smoke and mirrors from nVidia.

I eliminated the only part of your post that wasn't complete fanboyism.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Perhaps this is more a Candian thing, but the thing that annoys most me is that due to Fermi being so slow to come out, there's basically absolutely nothing worth buying from nV from pretty much $100 & up.

All the old 200 series card are hard to find & horribly overpriced.

Basically there's no competition other than in the low end crap cards, so AMD can charge whatever they feel like for everything they're selling.

I want an HD5850/5870, but i really want them to be cheaper, & until nV gets something out i don't see it happening. D:

You want the cards to be cheaper??? When's the last time a top of the line brand new series of cards has ever released at the price they are at???

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
You want the cards to be cheaper??? When's the last time a top of the line brand new series of cards has ever released at the price they are at???
Well.. what about last generation? The 4870 was a good bit cheaper than the 5870 iirc ;)

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
What do you think availability will be like?

Just getting these little small die HD5870s produced is hard enough.

I think it will be better then the 5800 launch. Well it would have to be. I'm sure the yields are much better now and they been in production for over a month now.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I think it will be better then the 5800 launch. Well it would have to be. I'm sure the yields are much better now and they been in production for over a month now.

HD5850 prices are still elevated.

Hopefully this is not because of yields and AMD is making some good money.

TXAngel08

Banned
Feb 13, 2010
I believe they are building up Stock so when they release they can actually Sell something.

That would be nice... :)

Otherwise just having them launch next month won't mean much until stock levels are up, which can take another few months.

Oh well, Chrismas 2010 it is... :)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well.. what about last generation? The 4870 was a good bit cheaper than the 5870 iirc ;)

Yea, but the 4870 wasn't the fastest GPU when it launched, right now the 5870 is and has been for 5 months. Nvidia launched the GTX280 at $650, the 5870 can be had for $400. While it's not an inexpensive part, I don't think anyone can claim it's overpriced either.

I'm curious to see how Fermi's launch goes. It looks like 40nm yields have increased, but Fermi is a much bigger and more complex chip. I'm waiting to see how that plays out, improved 40nm yields but a chip that is more difficult to make.

Overall I don't think the 58xx launch was terrible, there were parts on launch and they continued to trickle in despite the yield issues. Obviously it wasn't ideal given that the price increase due to yield issues and that parts were far from plentiful. But despite the 40nm problems I think the launch was ok, it wasn't a paper launch and anyone who wanted a 58xx part just had to keep checking and usually could find one in a matter of days.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009

Cypress are much, much smaller than GF100, so just because TSCM fixed whatever was screwing 40nm over doesn't really mean that GF100 will have high yields. Large, complex chips have a higher failure-rate meaning that GF100 will probably suffer even though whatever was holding back Cypress initially is now something of the past.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
What's the point in waiting? Isn't the high end of graphics cards on both sides able to run just about anything out there will full graphical quality at 1080p+ resolutions? Isn't tThe only reason waiting to see what NV has to offer is if there multi-monitor setup is better than Eyefinity?

I must be missing something, I just don't see what NV could put out with Fermi that is worth waiting for. If you want something now, go AMD. If you'll be upgrading in 6 months, then see what's up with Fermi.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Nvidia probably doesn't want to release too much information, or they may kill their current high end sales as people will want to wait for Fermi... of course I don't know how they can still really have much in the way of high end sales, who on earth would by a GTX285 for $370 when you can get a 5850 for $70 less that is faster, uses less power, and gives you DX11. And, for only $25 more than the GTX285 you could get a 5870...

But, the fact that Nvidia hasn't allowed benches to be leaked yet makes me think that Fermi's launch is still a little ways off. If the launch was right around the corner I'd think they'd want to get the benches out to try and get some potential AMD customers to hold off and buy Fermi.

Just my thoughts, just speculation on my part.

um, no.

they haven't put out any reviews because 1. they're 7 mos late, 2. they don't want to give amd the goal to shoot for with 5890, and 3. based upon past experience it is fairly likely that the results will be disappointing.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Isn't tThe only reason waiting to see what NV has to offer is if there multi-monitor setup is better than Eyefinity?

This is how I see things.

1.5 GB VRAM on Fermi? For a single monitor?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
um, no.

they haven't put out any reviews because 1. they're 7 mos late, 2. they don't want to give amd the goal to shoot for with 5890, and 3. based upon past experience it is fairly likely that the results will be disappointing.

I'd imagine if their were any Fermi cards out there that, by hook or by crook, ATI would have gotten their hands on the specs and benchmarks, at least. Even the Israelis wouldn't be able to keep that info secret. :D

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I am mostly interested to see how Nvidia will deploy their dual GPU cards.

LOL @ this limitation of one 6 pin and one 8 pin for that purpose. Two Giant 500m2 chips limited by 300 watts. :D (But what the heck do I know? I am not an engineer)

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I think Nvidia is roughly in the same position ATI was in some 3 or 4 years ago when Nvidia released the first DX10 cards, the successful G80 series. ATI delayed and delayed... and then came out with a dud, the 2800 HD. Their top card had to be repriced to match Nvidias mid-range which was closer to it in performance. I think thats what Nvidia wants to avoid doing, they got to have a killer card or its not worth releasing.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
What we need is the date the NDA lifts and then we'll have a good idea when it will be released.

Swamp

Jan 21, 2005
Im either gettn a 5870 if prices drop some or w/e Nvidia release. Im guessing that the 470 and 480gtx are gonna be crazy prices so im taking them off my list right now. I hear everyone says late April for the 360 and 380gtx. Sick of waiting. Might just buy the 5870 and call it good. Nvidia is losing a lot of business by waiting so long.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
The only reason waiting to see what NV has to offer is if there multi-monitor setup is better than Eyefinity?

You're probably going to have to wait for GF100 v2 since GF100 will only be able to run 2 monitors per GPU. So unless you want to go SLI, Nvidia wont have an Eyefinity competitor.

TXAngel08

Banned
Feb 13, 2010
What's the point in waiting? Isn't the high end of graphics cards on both sides able to run just about anything out there will full graphical quality at 1080p+ resolutions? Isn't tThe only reason waiting to see what NV has to offer is if there multi-monitor setup is better than Eyefinity?

First, at 1080P resolution, yes the 58xx will run anything... Some of us run a lot higher than 1080P resolution (2650x1600 on a 30" LCD).

Second, the 58xx is expensive, because nVidia is late. We're hoping prices come down once AMD has some competition.

Third, I prefer nVidia drivers to AMD, all things being equal, I'll take a nVidia part.

Finally, I think 58xx parts are the minimum that DX11 is going to work with, and I don't want to upgrade again in a year. The 8800GTX lasted a long time, I think Fermi has a chance to be the next 8800GTX, but we shall see.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Second, the 58xx is expensive, because nVidia is late. We're hoping prices come down once AMD has some competition.

They are not expensive. They might not be as cheap as the RV770 (forcing GT200 to drop), but they are in-line with previous generations and are cheaper than Nvidia counterparts today.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I am mostly interested to see how Nvidia will deploy their dual GPU cards.

LOL @ this limitation of one 6 pin and one 8 pin for that purpose. Two Giant 500m2 chips limited by 300 watts. :D (But what the heck do I know? I am not an engineer)

External power bricks like the Voodoo 5's had.

TXAngel08

Banned
Feb 13, 2010
58xx are currently above launch prices, regardless of what happened with production, that can only happen when there is no other option.

If nVidia had a faster card out for the same prices, AMD would either have to lower prices, or lose sales.

I haven't paid over $250 for a video card in a long time. My 8800GT and GTX260 were both $249. The 5850 should be at $250 and at that price I probably would have bought one already (that is what they launched at).

At $300, I'm waiting for nVidia... *shrug*