Discussion When will Putin invade?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When will Putin invade?

• Before the Olympics?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • During the Olympics?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • After the Olympics?

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • He won't...

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
IvVzg0i.jpeg

I think this picture encapsulates the human condition better than anything I've ever seen lol

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
I heard Putin expected his forces in Ukraine to be greeted with flowers. ( As the former Ukrainian president informed us on a tv interview.)

So delusional.

(sorry don't have the link right now)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The 40-miler seems to have slowed its advance.

Russian troops have been running out of food and fuel, U.S. senior defense official says
The Russian advance on Kyiv has slowed in the past few days because of logistical and sustainment problems, including running out of food for troops, according to a senior defense official.
"We are also picking up signs that they're having problems feeding their troops, that they're- not only are they running out of gas, but they are running out of food," the official said Tuesday.
The Russian advance on Ukraine's capital has made no appreciable movement since Monday, according to the official, and the main advance forces are still about 25 kilometers (15 miles) out from the city center.
Russian troops have faced stiff resistance from the Ukrainians. The Russians' slow progress could also be deliberate to give them time to reassess how to gain momentum, the official said.
"One reason why things appear to be stalled north of Kyiv is that the Russians themselves are regrouping and rethinking and trying to adjust to the challenges that they've had to date," the official said.
There are indications that morale among the Russian troops is flagging, and several units have surrendered, some without even putting up a fight. According to the official, some of the soldiers are conscripts who have never been in combat before and who might not even have been told they were going to participate in combat.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

The big picture:
According to the Telegram message, Danilov said that a unit of elite Chechen special forces, known as Kadyrovites, had been behind the plot and had subsequently been "eliminated."

• "We are well aware of the special operation that was to take place directly by the Kadyrovites to eliminate our president," Danilov said, per the post.
  • Ukrainian authorities had been tipped off about the plot by members of Russia's Federal Security Service who do not support the war, he added.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just watched another interview of Kira Rudyk.

I'm amazed of the conviction and will of their politicians to stay and fight to death for their country and freedom.

The Ukrainians defending their cities and who fall will be remembered as the modern day Spartans. Just god damn nerves of steel!

I don't want to wish death on people, but I hope Russia pays a heavy, heavy price (in both hardware and manpower) for their aggression of this unnecessary and unjust invasion.

Fuck Putin!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was just reading through this. Honestly it's kind of surprising we haven't already nuked the world into oblivion.

I'm still getting over the shock of having survived the 1980's without going "full-Fallout".

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I don't want to wish death on people, but I hope Russia pays a heavy, heavy price (in both hardware and manpower) for their aggression of this unnecessary and unjust invasion.

The problem is that Russia as a people are great! It's just their nutty president who is goofing everything up. It's so crappy for normal Russian citizens to be suffering under this nonsense as well.

Supposedly they captured a 16-year-old Russian soldier:

1646246277631.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The problem is that Russia as a people are great! It's just their nutty president who is goofing everything up. It's so crappy for normal Russian citizens to be suffering under this nonsense as well.

No, I agree it sucks the Russian people (who aren't involved / don't support the invasion) will suffer.

However, the person 100% responsible for that is Putin, so they need to lay the blame solely on him.

So if I had to choose sides, I support the Ukraine citizens 100% because they are not the ones invading another nation or shelling entire cities.

War is never "good". It appears that most of the world tried to convince Putin not to do this, and he refused. The blood is on his hands.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

These are kids we're talking about. :(

In another video they ran through about 30 captured Russian soldiers info and the OLDEST was 21. (many looked like they were about to cry)

This was very interesting:

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
God, the "Moscow Peace Festival" in 1989 seem like a distant memory at this point. So much hope during that period for the world, as relations with the USSR improved between Europe / U.S.

Now it seems like everything is going backwards. Defense budgets will soar with many countries once again, and we all will live in a world once again where it seems the fuse could be lit at any second.