Discussion When will Putin invade?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When will Putin invade?

• Before the Olympics?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • During the Olympics?

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • After the Olympics?

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • He won't...

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
"Grozen reported that Russia’s cryptophones may no longer work in Kharkiv because Russian forces had destroyed surrounding cell phone towers, and Russia’s encrypted comms system operates using 3G or 4G."

^From another article about the Russian general's death. Maybe don't destroy the infrastructure...if you're depending on that infrastructure? https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-officer-complains-dead-general-113255353.html

It appears that a second Russian general has been killed in Ukraine: https://www.newsweek.com/sr-russian...ed-capture-crimea-killed-near-kharkiv-1685767

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Unless Zeze has any objections to the wording or announcement, it appears that Coca Cola, Pepsi, Starbucks, and McDonalds have (finally) suspended Russian operations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/08/coc...arbucks-in-suspending-business-in-russia.html

However, Pepsi stated it will continue selling some of it's products in Russia:

Pepsi, on the other hand, generates roughly 4% of its annual revenue in Russia and is not halting all of its Russian business. The company said it will keep selling some essential products, like baby formula, milk and baby food in the country.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Exactly.

According to the media coverage I've seen, they are saying "75% of people in America support enforcing a no-fly zone". :oops:

What exactly happens when Russian planes (or anti-aircraft defenses) shoot down the planes that are there to enforce this?

What they should ask these people in these polls, is "Should the U.S. / NATO enforce a no-fly zone, when it could lead to WWIII or possible nuclear attacks?".

Putin is either bluffing big time, or is a complete psychopath. And nobody has any way of knowing which one it is. Like Stalin, he has killed all rivals, silenced his citizens, and has absolute power in Russia at this point. He is a defacto despot at this time.

Of course I want the war in Ukraine to end, but I'm not sitting on the sidelines and cheering for the possibility of the war spreading across Europe and causing tens of millions of deaths, or the annihilation of the human species. Of course if Russia didn't have nuclear missiles, with a despot apparently ready to use them at any moment (depending on what crazy is going on his head at the time), I'd be 100% behind NATO intervening and driving Russia out of the Ukraine.

“All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.” - George Orwell

I suspect the Russian war has already failed. His forces appear unprovisioned, militarily inadequate and unmotivated for the tasks assigned, there are 20K volunteers in a separate Territorial Command, and more must be coming ( see international brigades in the Spanish Civil War,) there are an abundance of weapons available and Poland has just agreed to give its 20 odd MiG 29s to the war effort. A no fly zone should no longer be required to end the fighting. At some point, his army will just stop advancing with no food and no fuel.I am an optimist but it just may be that his army is lost.

Here is the analogue to Russia's war in the Ukraine.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
At some point, his army will just stop advancing with no food and no fuel.I am an optimist but it just may be that his army is lost.

I agree. The Russian military might eventually capture more key cities (or the capital), however they were totally wrong how long it would take (and at what price to their military). The Ukrainian people refuse to live under Russian control.

The sad thing in all of this is how many people will end up dead (especially civilians) since Russia is indiscriminately attacking civilian targets, and to the people who have lost everything over an invasion that was completely unnecessary. Russia could very well withdraw their troops at some point, and leave a "scorched Earth" as they leave.

You just can't put anything past Putin at this point. I mean the fucker allowed attacks to happen around nuclear reactors, so I just don't think he gives a fuck about anything / anyone anymore.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Captante said:
At some point, his army will just stop advancing with no food and no fuel.I am an optimist but it just may be that his army is lost.

Not that I would have a problem taking credit for this point BUT I have zero recollection of making it lol!

Of course I barely recall what I had for breakfast this morning so.... :p ;)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Video title is misleading ..... this deal is anything but done and I wouldn't suggest holding your breath waiting.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

That's what I get for not paying attention!
Not so fast!

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-poland-nato-5724ff192113703d829024dc4410664e

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Poland’s proposal earlier Tuesday to deliver the jets to the U.S. Ramstein Air Base in Germany raised the concerning prospect of jets departing from a U.S. and NATO base to fly into airspace contested with Russia in the Ukraine war.

“We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland’s proposal is a tenable one,” Kirby said in a statement.

The planes have been the most on-and-off "deal done" situation I've seen. :oops:

I think I've seen the news agencies announce the deal has been approved at least half a dozen times so far, only for someone to come in at the last second and say it didn't / can't happen.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not so fast!

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-poland-nato-5724ff192113703d829024dc4410664e

The planes have been the most on-and-off "deal done" situation I've seen. :oops:

I think I've seen the news agencies announce the deal has been approved at least half a dozen times so far, only for someone to come in at the last second and say it didn't / can't happen.

From my understanding the issue is two-fold.... getting the MIG's into the hands of Ukrainian pilots without escalation and the biggest issue getting replacement planes THAT THE POLES CAN ACTUALLY FLY which apparently rules out all western fighters.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
1941 throwback. Eventually bogged down by bad weather, supply line problems, and rugged defence in cities.
681db7.jpg

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hmm...

Former KGB operative v. doughy tech billionaire.

Not sure where'd I'd place my bet on this one.

They haven't agreed on a weapon for the duel, though. If they choose rocket ships or giant fighting robots, Elon might have a chance!

1647273130360.png

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-business-europe-5a9f43e0e5e4da1200a440d667d6db91

“The Russian people will always be able to distinguish true patriots from scum and traitors and will simply spit them out like a gnat that accidentally flew into their mouths — spit them out on the pavement,” Putin said during Wednesday’s call with top officials. “I am convinced that such a natural and necessary self-purification of society will only strengthen our country, our solidarity, cohesion and readiness to respond to any challenges.”

The coarse language carried ominous parallels for those familiar with Soviet history. During show trials of Stalin’s Great Terror, authorities disparaged the declared “enemies of the people” as “reptiles” or “mad dogs.”

star-wars-padme-amidala.gif

• Wow

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/europe/borys-romanchenko-death-ukraine-intl/index.html

Putin's "operation of denazification" marches on. :oops:

Romanchenko survived the camps at Buchenwald, Peenemünde, Dora and Bergen-Belsen during World War II, the memorial said, adding that it was "stunned" by news of his death.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba called Romanchenko's death an "unspeakable crime" on Twitter.
"Survived Hitler, murdered by Putin," he wrote.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...-sea-estonia-8ccaa918f813a844321187ed116ff091

A big expensive F you to Putin today.

During the first days of the war, the Moskva was reportedly the ship that called on Ukrainian soldiers stationed on Snake Island in the Black Sea to surrender in a standoff. In a widely circulated recording, a soldier responded: “Russian warship, go (expletive) yourself.”

The loss of the warship named for the Russian capital is a devastating symbolic defeat for Moscow as its troops regroup for a renewed offensive in eastern Ukraine after retreating from much of the north, including the capital, Kyiv.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
From my understanding the issue is two-fold.... getting the MIG's into the hands of Ukrainian pilots without escalation and the biggest issue getting replacement planes THAT THE POLES CAN ACTUALLY FLY which apparently rules out all western fighters.
They need MIG-29s with Automatic Transmissions?

• Haha