When is the US going to collapse?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
If Bush Jr had it wobbling on the edge, Obama & Co. shot it off into the abyss with a canon.

It might be more accurate to say that Bush and his cronies pushed the economy to the edge, loaded it into the cannon, and then set a timer and Obama failed to deactivate the timer.

Bush did absolutely nothing once it had become obvious that the United States had a problem with Global Labor Arbitrage. Did Bush end foreign outsourcing? No, he probably encouraged it. Did he end the H-1B and L-1 visas? No. Did he end mass immigration and illegal immigration? No, he wanted to give amnesty to illegal aliens (as do McCain and Obama).

I agree that Obama is bad, but he's no worse than any other conventional politician and the Republicans are awful as far as the economy is concerned.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Except that the POTUS doesn't control any of that - save for maybe illegal immigration, as you could argue border defense - Congress does.

The most the POTUS can do is veto a bill, and also try and push the party he/she belongs to on direction and some of the details.

Chuck

Oct 30, 2004
Except that the POTUS doesn't control any of that - save for maybe illegal immigration, as you could argue border defense - Congress does.

The most the POTUS can do is veto a bill, and also try and push the party he/she belongs to on direction and some of the details.

Chuck

The POTUS can propose that his party enact that kind of legislation and provide leadership. So, where were the Republicans when we needed them? (They were too busy partying with the Haves and the Have Mores.)

Oct 30, 2004
I am reasonably certain that if Americans stopped watching the news and stayed away from the internet for a solid month we, as a society (without Obama's credit card advance) would spend our way out of this "recession". At least here in Sacramento, I go out to dinner on a WEDNESDAY, and you would never know that "bad times were upon us"... this has been the case since the onset of the recession. His "cash for caulkers" plan, as they are calling it, is going to buy me half of the air conditioner for my house that I was going to buy anyway.

Stop the handouts, kill the doomsday speak, and Americans will go back to work... naturally. Oh and please, don't tell me there aren't any jobs out there... my buddy has changed/promoted three times in last 18 months, and so have I. No one will take a job at a warehouse or gas station because the governement will pay them more not to, THAT is the problem.

Exactamundo! All of this doom and gloom talk is just a big joke! Our economy is being hammered by negative vibes! It's all in our heads! In reality the fundamentals of our economy are sound and the economy is good and getting goodah! Solid middle class jobs abound and Americans could have them if only they'd get off their couches and stop feeling sowwy for themselves!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Exactamundo! All of this doom and gloom talk is just a big joke! Our economy is being hammered by negative vibes! It's all in our heads! In reality the fundamentals of our economy are sound and the economy is good and getting goodah! Solid middle class jobs abound and Americans could have them if only they'd get off their couches and stop feeling sowwy for themselves!

There is some merit to that line of thinking, but IMO not near enough to actually Fix the Economy. "Improve"? Most likely, but the problem still remains that the Fundamentals are very weak and too much of the system still teeters on the edge.

The average Person needs to be cautious still, since they are the most vulnerable. At this point it's the Banks and other large entities whose Leadership has little to lose, even from outright failure, who need to get past the negativism and take some Risk.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The POTUS can propose that his party enact that kind of legislation and provide leadership. So, where were the Republicans when we needed them? (They were too busy partying with the Haves and the Have Mores.)

They weren't partying: They were doing as much for their lobbyists and special interests as they possibly could. Just like the Dem's will be doing for the next 3.75 years (at least).

Chuck