When Fat People Sue McDonalds: The Sequel

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
In fact, I don't know one fat person who works out (cardio) AND eats fast food every day.
People in shape over the age of 30 rarely eat that crap, especially if they are going to work hard at staying in shape.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BennyD

i think it would be a good idea to ban product design.
just make it illegal for companies to use anything other than simple black font on a white box, and always with a clear window so you can see the product.
and maybe force them to put any know side effects/a list of ingredients on the front of the box

just my opinion

In order to discourage unfair competition, I propose that all design of new products be banned. Suppose a company designs a really nice looknig car, and another company designs an ugly car. The company with the attractive looking car obviously has a marketing advantage. For this reason, we should have a single government proscribed "car specification" which any company wishing to manufacture cars must adhere to. The penalty for designing an unauthorized car can be life in prison. Similarly, we will have a governemt issued "hamburger spec", "plastic kitchen knife spec", "CPU Spec", etc. You can see that with this much improved system there will no longer be any srt of unfair competition, and everyone's lives will be enriched.

In other words, I think you're a freaking idiot.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred

i think it would be a good idea to ban product design.
just make it illegal for companies to use anything other than simple black font on a white box, and always with a clear window so you can see the product.
and maybe force them to put any know side effects/a list of ingredients on the front of the box

just my opinion

In order to discourage unfair competition, I propose that all design of new products be banned. Suppose a company designs a really nice looknig car, and another company designs an ugly car. The company with the attractive looking car obviously has a marketing advantage. For this reason, we should have a single government proscribed "car specification" which any company wishing to manufacture cars must adhere to. The penalty for designing an unauthorized car can be life in prison. Similarly, we will have a governemt issued "hamburger spec", "plastic kitchen knife spec", "CPU Spec", etc. You can see that with this much improved system there will no longer be any srt of unfair competition, and everyone's lives will be enriched.

Karl Marx would be proud...

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
If all those Fast Food joints were to close down the average lifespan of the American probably would increase 10 years. I do think they are a major reason why the current generation is a bunch of fat pigs.

i disagree, if it wasn't for fast food places i wouldn't have breakfast, i rarely do anyways, i would definately not have a lunch, and wouldn't have dinner half the time...and i'm average weight if not a couple pounds lighter.

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SaintGRW
If all those Fast Food joints were to close down the average lifespan of the American probably would increase 10 years. I do think they are a major reason why the current generation is a bunch of fat pigs.

i disagree, if it wasn't for fast food places i wouldn't have breakfast, i rarely do anyways, i would definately not have a lunch, and wouldn't have dinner half the time...and i'm average weight if not a couple pounds lighter.

You might look healthy on the outside but that doesn't mean you're not on the verge of having a heart attack from a clogged artery

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002

yeah, thats what i meant...

what if it were the other way round?
everyone could do whatever they wanted
that would be chaos, you'd get people suing a fast food company for making thier kids fat.
..............hold on a sec. :p

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
I love the way they start that article :D

Two teenagers with big midsections have an even bigger beef with McDonald's.

Come on! That's hilarious!

In other news: Nemesis77 feels like kicking some fatso ass.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
In fact, I don't know one fat person who works out (cardio) AND eats fast food every day.
People in shape over the age of 30 rarely eat that crap, especially if they are going to work hard at staying in shape.

I'm over 30, in pretty good shape, and I eat fast food 2-3 times a week. I never felt or saw a difference when I gave it up.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

yeah, thats what i meant...

what if it were the other way round?
everyone could do whatever they wanted
that would be chaos, you'd get people suing a fast food company for making thier kids fat.
..............hold on a sec. :p

It amazes me how self described "liberals" feel the need to control the "unwashed masses." It's just fascism with a mothering bent to it.

In fact, it's "liberal," nanny state ideology that has led to lawsuits like this. If you tell people long enough that they aren't responsible for their actions and the consequences of said actions, they'll start to believe you.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
and I eat fast food 2-3 times a week. I never felt or saw a difference when I gave it up.
And for every one of you there are 10 lard asses who should avoid Micky D's like the plague.

BTW, don't you own a couple of fast food joints?

bolsen

Jul 31, 2002
I thought I would never say this, but I hope this makes court TV!

Or better yet, one of those mid-afternoon court tv shows when the Judge just goes off on the people. LOL!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
and I eat fast food 2-3 times a week. I never felt or saw a difference when I gave it up.
And for every one of you there are 10 lard asses who should avoid Micky D's like the plague.

BTW, don't you own a couple of fast food joints?

Yep, but it's quite a bit lower fat fare than at McDonalds. :p

Anywho, I still don't believe McDonalds food is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, so long as it's taken in moderation. If you make burgers and (deep fried) fries at your home, you're eating the same crap.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
If you make burgers and (deep fried) fries at your home, you're eating the same crap.
Yeah you migfht as well just take a spoon of Crisco and use it for topping on your Banana Split

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
If you make burgers and (deep fried) fries at your home, you're eating the same crap.
Yeah you migfht as well just take a spoon of Crisco and use it for topping on your Banana Split

You're forgetting, that's how most people cooked every evening dinner when you and I were young. Moms flung Crisco like it was essential for everything. Why are we fatter now?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You're forgetting, that's how most people cooked every evening dinner when you and I were young. Moms flung Crisco like it was essential for everything.
They did? Being from the West Coast our family always grilled the majority of our dinners.

Anyways, if you are saying that it just isn't our diet but our overall lifestyle that's the reason Americans as a Society are such porkers I agree with you.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You're forgetting, that's how most people cooked every evening dinner when you and I were young. Moms flung Crisco like it was essential for everything.
They did? Being from the West Coast our family always grilled the majority of our dinners.

Anyways, if you are saying that it just isn't our diet but our overall lifestyle that's the reason Americans as a Society are such porkers I agree with you.

I grew up on the west coast as well, but my mother grew up in Indiana. She deep fried food at least twice a week, if not more, and pan fried food a time or two a week as well. And every pie she made had a healthy dose of lard in it. It's what makes the crust so flaky, or something.

She was a depression baby, so she reused her lard as well. I know a lot of the older guys here will remember their parents saving and reusing bacon grease. :disgust:

We grilled out quite a bit, but mostly beef. Best damn hambergers and porterhouse steaks EVER! :D

The only one in my family that gained weight was my dad. He had a desk job. :p

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

I grew up on the west coast as well, but my mother grew up in Indiana. She deep fried food at least twice a week, if not more, and pan fried food a time or two a week as well. And every pie she made had a healthy dose of lard in it. It's what makes the crust so flaky, or something.

She was a depression baby, so she reused her lard as well. I know a lot of the older guys here will remember their parents saving and reusing bacon grease. :disgust:

We grilled out quite a bit, but mostly beef. Best damn hambergers and porterhouse steaks EVER! :D

heart attack at 30? nah......:disgust:

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
People should be allowed to file lawsuits such as this.
Civil law, and lawsuits, are a very important 'right' for average citizens to have thier say.

However, lawsuits such as these should be thrown out very quickly (perhaps after being judged for lameness by a small panel of judges) and the complaintants should be forced to pay court costs for wasting time.

But, you cannot remove the citizen's ability to sue.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n1
Originally posted by: Amused

heart attack at 30? nah......:disgust:

Nope. My Mom ate like this her whole life. She's 72 and the only thing killing her is the fact that she smoked three packs a day for 50+ years.

Some people are genetically prone to have heart trouble, some are not. Some people can eat a side of bacon every day for their life and never have their cholesterol level go up. Others can just look at bacon and clog every artery in their body. Many of the world's oldest people had diets high in fat.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see a potential solution to this problem. The U.S. government should intervene and impose a federal solution to the problem of these overweight teenagers. They should be enlisted into the U.S. Marine Corps special weight management program for lard @ss fatboys and be PAID for four years of weight management in the form of US Marine infantry service. This program has the dual purpose of not only embarking them on a regimen of rapid weight loss but also removing them from the temptation of fast food by placing them on a ship in the middle of some body of water or on a sparse Marine installation far from American fast food culture.

Or, their parents could just act like parents, but that's probably asking far too much from those leeches.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Although Banzhaf agrees that fast food isn't inherently addictive like tobacco, he said McDonald's must provide clear health warnings just as cigarette makers do.

Banzhaf said the suits are grounded in a report released by the U.S. surgeon general last December that said obesity kills an estimated 300,000 Americans each year and costs $117 billion in health-related costs. There are nearly twice as many overweight children and almost three times as many overweight adolescents as there were in 1980.

"Even at Disneyland you find signs everywhere saying that kids have to be a certain height to get on certain rides," he said. "This should be obvious, but Disneyland doesn't want to be held liable if a parent isn't smart enough to know this."

1. It sickens me that parents would actually feed McDonald's to their kids "several" times a week. I grew up having McDonald's be a reward after a well played soccer game, or a treat when my mom didn't feel like making dinner. (which was extraordinarily rare); it was by no means a staple of my diet. Good God!

2. Cigarette smoke actually causes cancer. Think of it as increasing the chances of getting cancer because of random mutagenic effects. McDonald's food does no such thing. Further, exactly as the man said, MickeyD's ain't addictive! It's not their fault that the kids' food tastes are deplorably diminished because they've been fed junk food for their whole lives.

3. Again, as stated in the article, it's not like the kids were stealing their parent's car and driving their fat @$$es to MickeyD's, and even if it was within walking distance I'd be blown away by the possibility that these "little" kids had so much money to throw around on food.

4. He said children often are unable to resist the chain's playgrounds, Happy Meals, and toy promotions often tied to the release of popular movies.
......Oh please.

Jan 31, 2002
I think I've eaten at McD's. Once. Never really liked it much.

Now that I know what's in the "beef" - I don't want to eat there.

I eat pretty damned healthy compared to a lot of other people ... probably because I don't have the money to blow on fast food. :p Occasionally I'll go to a Wendy's and get six 99 cent burgers, polish em all off. But three nights of taekwando, sparring on weekends, and the occasional tournament burns that off fast.

Exercise good. Can't sit at a desk all day, you know.

- M4H

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Originally posted by: OvErHeAtInG
class action lawsuit, the new american way.

what a fvcking joke. my kids got fat because i fed them McDonalds every day, now I want to sue McD's.

IDIOTS.

I see your point... I don't eat McD's, and don't recommend anybody does. But have you ever heard a child whining for McDonald's? The marketing and quick-fix nature of the food is tremendously addictive to children, that's on purpose. It's friggin torture to parents, in the supermarket and stuff, to have their children whining for brightly-colored boxes of sugar-cereal they saw on the commercial 18 times last Saturday. Same goes for McDonald's.

However, the fact that Fast Food, Cereal labels, and Candy specifically market children is highly irritating to me. I these companies want me to have my kids consume their products they should be appealing to me instead of trying to convince my child that he eating a happy meal will make him happy.
Well said Yamaha. And realize these companies know that they will sell more stuff if they market to children than the adults... really sad but true..
:(

But when I have children I'm gonna be a total nazi about that stuff... just like my parents did to me, now I'm thanking them. :D

I used to be one of those kids who whined for McDonalds. My mom did not give in every time we passed by the place. Once in awhile yes but NEVER EVER multiple times a week.

Same here.

So while these parents have to carry most of the responsibility for their children's diet, the are some questionable market strategies. Basically, these marketing schemes are garunteed to increase family conflict, and MIGHT increase sales. That is not an ethical business plan.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Yup, that's a midwestern diet. When I'm home from college the first thing I hear from my mother in the morning is "I'm making fried eggs and bacon for you, it'll be ready in a bit.". (Mothers who grew up on a farm are great, they cook well and love feeding people.) Fried chicken, fried pork, and beef are pretty much the staples of my diet. Of course, there's also the "starches" (corn, potatos, etc) and the accompanying copious amounts of butter and whole milk. (On a side note, it's damn hard to get whole milk on campus here, they've got that soy crap for the vegans but nobody gives a sh!t about the people who want whole milk.) And then there's my father's side of the family with all their rich German food, people with heart conditions shouldn't even be in the same room with that stuff.

My parents and grandparents grew up on that stuff. I don't even want to think about what the caloric intake is when a person eats like I do. Despite this though, we're none of us overweight (well, my one grandmother is, but that's just come with age). I'm definitely keeping up the tradition of midwestern diets, but anyone who has seen me can tell you that I'm skinny as a rail. All a person has to do is keep active with something. For me, it's tinkering with my cars and the motorcycle along with general "handyman" duties around my family's house. You don't have to even designate exercise time if you've got hobbies that require action. Work on cars enough and the 60-70lb boxes that you inevitably have shipped to you will build a person up rather quickly.

ZV

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
How can anybody eat fast food several times a week? When my kids were small I got into the habit of cooking double batches of dinner and freezing the excess, then I could just pop dinner into the microwave,time saving and better nutrition.