When did the uber-tactical EDC patriot thing start?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I personally have far less of an issue with holstered pistols. But walking around with a slung rifle knowing it's making people uncomfortable makes you an asshole, an asshole carrying a rifle.

Perhaps, but you could same the same about sidewalk skateboarders that practically run into people. Or the sidewalk preacher. Or any number of other things.

I agree anyone open carrying a rifle is doing so for attention, but a slung rifle = a holstered pistol in my book. Still not a threat unless the carrier is otherwise acting in a threatening manner or unslings/brandishes the rifle.

Oct 16, 1999
This sort of desperate tactic may be good enough to impress your family at the dinner table, but to me it signals the acknowledgement of an inferior position on the topic at hand.

Shockingly enough nearly any conversation I participate in at the dinner table regarding guns I am advocating ownership. And that tends to go over a lot better than just showing up with one slung over my back. Especially when dining out.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Warren Drouin, Steven Boyce Walk Around Portland With Assault Rifles To Advocate Gun Rights, Scaring Neighborhood (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/warren-drouin-steven-boyce_n_2459187.html

While I am not in favor of what they did, people need to become better educated about the 2nd amendment. If anyone is within any constitutional right and doing so in a lawful manner, there should be no need for people hiding behind desks and calling SWAT. Education is the answer, and these stunts will disappear.

They want people to freak a little and call the police because they KNOW they are acting LEGALLY. So its those who are freaking out that get the lesson.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Shockingly enough nearly any conversation I participate in at the dinner table regarding guns I am advocating ownership. And that tends to go over a lot better than just showing up with one slung over my back. Especially when dining out.

Well as an advocate for gun-ownership, you should realize what the antis accomplish by limiting the public 's view of firearms to something that should only be seen on the hip of a dark or camouflaged uniform, or on the nightly news in the hand of an idiot with a bandana around their face.

Most of the country doesn't dive for the pavement due to the sight of a holstered firearm on the hip a non-LEO. The suburbanites who have no knowledge of the world just happen to have a disproportionate amount of representation on internet forums.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
While I am not in favor of what they did, people need to become better educated about the 2nd amendment. If anyone is within any constitutional right and doing so in a lawful manner, there should be no need for people hiding behind desks and calling SWAT. Education is the answer, and these stunts will disappear.

They want people to freak a little and call the police because they KNOW they are acting LEGALLY. So its those who are freaking out that get the lesson.

Maybe the day when all these random shootings stop (never) these lessons may be learned.
Until then, I'd bet those same citizens will pick up their phones and dial 911

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Maybe the day when all these random shootings stop (never) these lessons may be learned.

That is the outlier, not the norm.

Even the anti-2A cops that respond to misguided 911 calls and harass people legally exercising rights are getting sick of causing lawsuits and ending up on Youtube.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
That is the outlier, not the norm.

Even the anti-2A cops that respond to misguided 911 calls and harass people legally exercising rights are getting sick of causing lawsuits and ending up on Youtube.

You think cops are going to stop responding to man with gun calls because of lawsuits?
I don't know..

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You think cops are going to stop responding to man with gun calls because of lawsuits?
I don't know..

They may not stop responding, but they will stop illegal practices. Which aren't that common to begin with, but the internet.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

With 300+ million guns in the country combined with our collective anger aren't you surprised there isn't way more gun violence?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Yes, because in every random shooting to date the shooter has openly slung a rifle over his back and taken a casual stroll around the neighborhood before going apeshit. :rolleyes:

People need to learn to think before they act. An "active shooter" scenario is called such because there is someone actively shooting.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
With 300+ million guns in the country combined with our collective anger aren't you surprised there isn't way more gun violence?

Violent crime had been dropping significantly, actually. While legal gun ownership expands and laws relax.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

How many of the random shootings you mention were committed by citizens openly carrying in a lawful and legal manner?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Violent crime had been dropping significantly, actually. While legal gun ownership expands and laws relax.

Yep, an excellent point I should have thought to add. Thanks for bringing it into discussion.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
How many of the random shootings you mention were committed by citizens openly carrying in a lawful and legal manner?

Whoa whoa
You guys go ahead and do what you want
I'm not trying to take your gun from you
It's just me Earl, I'm just a good ol boy, never meanin' no harm
Just saying people are going to call the cops when they see a man with a gun
The cops are going to keep responding
The day will never come when everyone carries a gun

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Whoa whoa
You guys go ahead and do what you want
I'm not trying to take your gun from you
It's just me Earl, I'm just a good ol boy, never meanin' no harm
Just saying people are going to call the cops when they see a man with a gun
The cops are going to keep responding
The day will never come when everyone carries a gun

Not everyone no, but if the day comes when, say 10% of the population carries guns I imagine the fearful responses would be substantially reduced.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't know..

It's already happening. Most major metro departments in Virginia don't respond anymore because the open carry advocates there have jammed it down their throats for the last 10 years. There are 911 recordings where the operator asks the panicked caller if the person with the gun is doing anything threatening, they say no, and the operator tells them that's not against the law. :thumbsup:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It's already happening. Most major metro departments in Virginia don't respond anymore because the open carry advocates there have jammed it down their throats for the last 10 years. There are 911 recordings where the operator asks the panicked caller if the person with the gun is doing anything threatening, they say no, and the operator tells them that's not against the law. :thumbsup:

In couple more years, those same advocates will be bitching about what their actions caused and blaming someone else for it

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Not everyone no, but if the day comes when, say 10% of the population carries guns I imagine the fearful responses would be substantially reduced.

Why the hell would they do that? Who in their right mind wants to carry a gun around with them wherever they go? Doesn't make any sense. I carry a gun when I am hunting or target practicing, other than that I have no interest in lugging around heavy piece of metal that serves no purpose.

I certainly do not want to see strangers walking around my neighborhood openly carrying weapons. I have no idea of their intentions. The transition from passively carrying to shooting people is not more than 3 seconds. Given the monthly occurences of mass shootings, I would prefer open carry being completely and utterly banned. That way, we all know immediately that the person carrying is a baddie. With open carry, there is probably moments of indecision that cost human life.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why the hell would they do that? Who in their right mind wants to carry a gun around with them wherever they go? Doesn't make any sense. I carry a gun when I am hunting or target practicing, other than that I have no interest in lugging around heavy piece of metal that serves no purpose.

I certainly do not want to see strangers walking around my neighborhood openly carrying weapons. I have no idea of their intentions. The transition from passively carrying to shooting people is not more than 3 seconds. Given the monthly occurences of mass shootings, I would prefer open carry being completely and utterly banned. That way, we all know immediately that the person carrying is a baddie. With open carry, there is probably moments of indecision that cost human life.

Amazing how you feel this is an appropriate position to take yet your views on things like gay marriage are strikingly different.

Guess everyone has their pet causes huh?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Amazing how you feel this is an appropriate position to take yet your views on things like gay marriage are strikingly different.

Guess everyone has their pet causes huh?

Well its not like a gay guy is going to stab me to death with his penis. Not exactly sure what your point was. Could you rephrase it in understandable English?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Gotta love your propaganda. They aren't assault rifles and your idiotic source numerous times calls them assault rifles to scare the usual suspects. What is wrong with some people? Why are they scared when they see people exercising their rights?

Maybe because it's impossible to tell the difference between someone who just happens to be carrying a semi-automatic weapon and some crazy fuck carrying a semi-automatic weapon who in about one minute is going to start killing people.

I don't know about you, but if I saw someone open-carrying like that, I'd probably head in the other direction, which is a hassle. So excuse me for feeling irritated by those who are so threatened by the big, bad government that they must constantly advertise that they possess deadly force and cause the rest of us to RATIONALLY feel a lot LESS safe.

Last edited:

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well its not like a gay guy is going to stab me to death with his penis. Not exactly sure what your point was. Could you rephrase it in understandable English?

Your first sentence makes it clear you had no comprehension issues.

Second amendment says we all have a right to keep and bear arms. Could you please cite the amendment which says you have a right to be gay?

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe because it's impossible to tell the difference between someone who just happens to be carrying a semi-automatic weapon and some crazy fuck carrying a semi-automatic weapon who in about one minute is going to start killing people.

I don't know about you, but if I saw someone open-carrying like that, I'd probably head in the other direction, which is a hassle. So excuse me for feeling irritated by those who are so threatened by the big, bad government that they must constantly advertise that they possess deadly force and cause the rest of us to RATIONALLY feel a lot LESS safe.

Some of us aren't cowards who piss ourselves at the sight of a gun.

Just the other day I was getting some lunch and the man in line in front of me in line was open carrying a nice Kimber Custom 2, no one in the restaurant gave him a second glance.