When did the uber-tactical EDC patriot thing start?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I find it as pathetic as the gangsta or thug life some people try to represent - both are attempts of insecure people to latch onto something 'cooler' than themselves.

I have little issue with discreet, responsible owners. But those who feel the need to flaunt their manliness in these ways are equally sad in this day and age.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Most cops I know prefer open carry.

Makes the people they need to watch obvious.

Umm, weird. If I'm carrying openly, its because I dont have any felonies or outstanding misdemeanors and am not afraid of being spotted.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I believe in gun ownership.

I don't believe in dick wagging your gun - grow the fuck; are you a serious gun owner, or some young retard looking to show off your latest and greatest?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Fixed.

Here's the open carry experience of a more regular (read: rational) gun owner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PMmd2Jr9SY&list=UUgD93xd1KaokQWJ96woH-AA

Long story short, the only reactions he got walking around doing perfectly normal things with a revolver on his hip were from a couple of pro-gun lesbians.

Carrying a pistol, even openly, is typically inconspicuous if you otherwise look/act normal and it's legal in your area. Many will assume that you're a cop or security guard. Carrying a rifle around, outside of an active riot/looting/natural disaster situation, is just attention whoring plain and simple.

/thread.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
When did the uber-tactical EDC patriot thing start?

Perhaps I don't really understand your question. E.g., I don't know what "EDC" means nor why the word "patriot" is included. But as for survival preparedness - it's been around forever. In fact, it was an every-day-practice since the 1700's over here in the mountains where I live.

When I was a kid we didn't have play stations/PC's etc nor even cable TV. We spent a lot of time in the forests building animal snares etc like you see on survival shows today.

So, I see nothing new. Maybe it seems that way now because it can be easily seen on social media.

Fern

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I didn't know what EDC ment either, jeez I just call it stuff I carry.

Wiki

The term EDC also refers to the philosophy or spirit of 'preparedness' that goes along with the selection and carrying of these items. Implicit in the term is the sense that an EDC is an individual's personal selection of equipment, arrived at after deliberation, rather than a standardized kit.

EDC items normally fit in pockets or a small pack, and/or are attached to clothing such as a belt. Emphasis is placed on the usefulness, accessibility and reliability of these items. The core elements of a typical EDC might include a knife, a flashlight, a cell phone, and a multi-tool.

List of common items[edit]
A knife, multitool and/or Swiss Army knife
A wrist watch
A flashlight (either a key-chain light, a headlamp, or a "tactical" flashlight which has a brighter output used to temporarily blind and stun assailants)
A whistle or airhorn (noise makers)
A cell phone or other electronic device like a digital camera to record evidence (sometimes satellite phones if in remote areas)
Sustainment items such as bottled water and high energy foods
Pen, pencil, or a tactical pen similar in concept to a Kubotan for striking and stabbing
Pocket notebook/memo (smart phones and electronic note-taking devices are increasingly being used instead of notebooks)
Medicine for common ailments and maladies such as allergies and gastrointestinal problems
A metal pocket comb that can also be used as a weapon or tool
Prescription medicine that has to be taken daily
A compact first aid kit
Rope or paracord
Handkerchiefs or other utility cloth
Keys containing key chain and accessories like a flashlight, nail clipper, pill bottle, folding scissors, carabiner, or Kubotan
Gloves, which can be latex, nitrile, leather, or synthetic
Pepper spray/OC spray or stun gun/tazer
Pistol and holster
Lighter or matches
Compass
GPS device

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009

If you are referring to people legally open carrying, those are precisely who you don't need to watch! Maybe I misunderstood what you were going for?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

I doubt you know many cops at all.

Most cops hate open carry because it's some dude that's squeaky clean legally speaking that's going to waste a shitload of your time asking, "Am I being detained," and probably post your interaction on the internet.

Most cops like concealed carry because they're invisible to the kind of people that call the cops on open carry people, and they're statistically more law abiding than police officers themselves.

I've got a CHL and a badge, and I know dozens of local cops, state troopers & feds.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I doubt you know many cops at all.
Most cops like concealed carry because they're invisible to the kind of people that call the cops on open carry people, and they're statistically more law abiding than police officers themselves.

Why is it that that dispatchers and police would rather hassle an innocent person, than explain to a 911 caller who just moved from California that open carry is legal, and unless they saw the person do something aggressive or illegal, they wouldn't be acting on the call?

This is in a small portion of the US, as I open carry in multiple states with no issue. I just returned from a trip where I OC a pistol and rifle in multiple cities/towns in Montana and Idaho, and they only people that mentioned it were asking about my gear out of curiosity.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
And I'm sure everyone who didn't approach the guy openly toting guns around were totally comfortable with it too.

Luckily the standard for guaranteed rights isn't the "comfort" of others.

I'm sure there are many dinosaurs and knuckle-draggers that are "uncomfortable" when they see an inter-racial or homosexual couple in public.

I'm sure there the amount of freedom we have to speak against .gov makes some in power uncomfortable as well.

Not really a public policy concern.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
And I'm sure everyone who didn't approach the guy openly toting guns around were totally comfortable with it too.

So we should change our behavior and/or laws due to people who are irrationally uncomfortable? By that logic we should still have racial segregation.

Here's a hint: If I'm surfing the web on my laptop and my gun is otherwise in my holster, visible or not, it's no threat to you!

Oct 16, 1999
Luckily the standard for guaranteed rights isn't the "comfort" of others.

I'm sure there are many dinosaurs and knuckle-draggers that are "uncomfortable" when they see an inter-racial or homosexual couple in public.

I'm sure there the amount of freedom we have to speak against .gov makes some in power uncomfortable as well.

Not really a public policy concern.

People walking around openly armed with questionable motives and a lack of regard for those around them is very much a public concern. Merely "because I can" with a fire arm invites scrutiny and rightfully so.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
People walking around openly armed with questionable motives and a lack of regard for those around them is very much a public concern. Merely "because I can" with a fire arm invites scrutiny and rightfully so.

"Lack of regard" and "questionable motives" are characteristics projected by the ignorant/unfamiliar, and mean absolutely nothing.

Oct 16, 1999
So we should change our behavior and/or laws due to people who are irrationally uncomfortable? By that logic we should still have racial segregation.

Here's a hint: If I'm surfing the web on my laptop and my gun is otherwise in my holster, visible or not, it's no threat to you!

I personally have far less of an issue with holstered pistols. But walking around with a slung rifle knowing it's making people uncomfortable makes you an asshole, an asshole carrying a rifle. And that's just the best case scenario.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

And on what authority are you fit to judge their motives? For that matter, how can you judge something you don't know in the first place?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Umm, weird. If I'm carrying openly, its because I dont have any felonies or outstanding misdemeanors and am not afraid of being spotted.
I have had a conversation about the whole open carry with a few of em.

You could always have a few that have felonies doing it etc, there are always to check that I guess real fast.

Still takes some time to do.

Personally you know from the gun thread I have many, and just not keen I'm too big on the idea myself.

*shrug*

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Maybe if people squint really hard they can see your red white and blue aura.

This sort of desperate tactic may be good enough to impress your family at the dinner table, but to me it signals the acknowledgement of an inferior position on the topic at hand.