What was the last game you played that made your jaw drop?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Arkitech, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

As a (at this time) console-only gamer I have to think some of the blame lies with consoles. The big money is in a game that runs on all platforms and that means cater to lowest common denominator.

2. mooncancook

mooncancook Platinum Member

War Craft 2. Back when pretty much all my games ran in VGA the SVGA graphics in WC2 made my jaw drop.

A more recent one would be Crysis 1 screenshots. They looked amazing but I didn't have the hardware to run it then.

3. crisium

crisium Golden Member

Well sure, graphics have almost stagnated for many years. But gameplay innovation and story telling have continued to evolve and should have dropped your draw once or twice since 2004.

But looking at my personal all-time top 25 games list, there are no games from after 2004 ranked higher than Half-Life 2. So I cannot disagree with you. Hard to say, but I can generally safely say that Half-Life 2 is still the best game from 2004-2012. Hmm...

4. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

There were many times that I expected to be blown away only to be let down miserably. Now I keep my expectations low.

Damn! Why couldn't Heavy Rain have been as good as the trailer led me to believe?!

5. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

Half Life 2. Nothing else was good looking and played well at the same time.

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Diamond Member

This was for me also. I know Fallout 3 graphic was out of date when it was released, but that scene seeing the wasteland for the first time was haunting for me.

7. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

Oblivion and then Crysis.

Edit: FarCry! Almost forgot this one...

8. njdevilsfan87

njdevilsfan87 Golden Member

PS2 on multiple occasions. The initial wow factor lasted a good few weeks. Whie no longer there, it is still a lot of fun and my game of choice now, and likely for the long term if SOE ages it well.

9. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

Crysis, in it's 13 fps glory.

10. kreactor

kreactor Senior member

farcry 3 when i was swimming across the river to skin that tapir drinking by the shore when a croc yank me back and try to deathroll me

gta v bogt ending, jumping out the private plane by ellis island, sunset on my back and endsong music fading in...

11. Grooveriding

Grooveriding Diamond Member

I'd say the first time I played a CD-ROM game. The ability for them to pack much better visual assets into games because of the huge jump in storage versus floppies was really amazing. The Legend of Kyrandia stands out to me as one of the first CD-ROM games I played.

For raw graphics; Far Cry and then Crysis, nothing since then has done anything to wow me. BF3 was nice for finally seeing another good looking game on PC after so long had passed since Crysis 1/Warhead.

For story plot twists etc... The Dig had a really amazing story that wowed me a fair bit, also when I used to still play WoW. In The Burning Crusade expansion when my guild first got to Illidan and then in SWP when we got to Kil'Jaeden and he crawled out of the Sunwell. Pretty awesome.

12. Achilles97

Achilles97 Senior member

WoW. A month after release, I finally decided to play my first MMO. I was a troll leveling in Durotar when I saw a huge King Kong type of wall. I nervously stepped inside to see the bustling metropolis of Orgrimmar with so many guys running around, chat messages constantly, guards patrolling, and that deep music. Jaw hit the floor.

BF3 the first time I loaded a Conquest Large map, which happened to be Kharg Island. I stepped off the hovercraft onto the beach to see planes streaking over, a tank rumbling in the distance, a jeep full of guys zooming by. I stepped over the crest of the hill to see a battle going on before me. I took shelter there for minute to take in the scale of the situation and to hear all those sounds going on. Jaw hit the floor.

13. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

GTA V is not released yet. :colbert:

14. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

Farcry 2 had better graphics in regards to textures and models than part 3 does.
    Crysis 1 still has superior water and physics

15. Stringjam

Stringjam Golden Member

Almost forgot.....when you walk through the caves in Dear Esther.

Played it again last night.....jaw dropped again.

I'm not even a fan of Source, but somehow the developer managed to create an environment (low-res textures and all) that just completely immerses you in the scene. It's profoundly beautiful - and a testament to just how important artistic direction is, no matter what the graphic quality.

[​IMG]

16. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

Batman Arkham Asylum - Mainly the fighting gameplay and grappling hook mechanics. Finally an awesome Batman game where you feel like you're the dark knight.

Fallout 3 - As others have mentioned, coming out of the vault and seeing the wasteland. Just amazing and huge.

#116 Golgatha, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Wing Commander II, when some jockey got blowed up and said "SHIIIIIT!", I was like, did he really curse? Of course way back then they didnt curse in games. :) Oh, and when I played "Kingpin". The cursing in that game was so way over the top! Awesome!

18. CZroe

CZroe Lifer

Sunsoft's Batman, loosely based on the 1989 movie, did that for me on the original Nintendo Entertainment System. Rare and awesome cinematics, excellent Ninja Gaiden-style wall-jumping gameplay, difficult, plus you actually get to KILL The Joker! Ichinisan's video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvBUEq1h3E

Not sure how that got past Nintendo's censors.

#118 CZroe, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  19. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

No, we just got older and not impressed as much.

20. zijin_cheng

zijin_cheng Member

Farcry 3 is pretty good, graphics are above average but no Crys.s

21. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

Blackreach in Skyrim -- Skyrim overall though - So many times I would stop playing and just stare and say, man this game is F*&*ing awesome!!

[​IMG]

#121 Face2Face, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  22. Slammy1

Slammy1 Platinum Member

23. JoetheLion

JoetheLion Senior member

Nothing since Oblivion and yeah, Half-life 2.

24. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

For those of you who like good stories and shooters, Spec Ops: The Line. Amazing game, but don't spoil it by reading up on it. It's a hell of a game.

25. poohbear

poohbear Platinum Member

witcher 2 for sure. What an Epic game in every category!