What was the last game you played that made your jaw drop?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
The Premium maps on BF3. The level of detail and size of the maps are amazing. They look gorgeous.

Max Payne 3 had incredible detail and animations. Also, the game was so mature and real that it was too much for me at times.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't know about recently, but the most jaw dropping experience I think I've had to date is Freespace 2.

Flying around in a little fighter while capital ships duke it out with beam weapons, missiles, and flak exploding everywhere. I still remember the sound of beam weapons going off.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Skyrim on PC with the high res texture packs. When you're up in the mountains you REALLY feel like you're up in the mountains.

It was just beautiful at 2560x1600. :biggrin:

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Depends on the level of shock. I still remember starting Quake for the first time after I installed Diamond Monster 3dfx Voodoo 1 card and thought that I could finally die a happy man. Absolutely amazing at the time.

Since then, there hasn't been anything that inspired that level of amazement. But far Cry 1 really amazed me. I also remember being very impressed by the weird manipulation of environments in Prey. Oh, and Portal. Just really really cool.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Every time i fire up Supermeat Boy and try and pass a board and get the bandage and get the time limit

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Planetside 2. We were taking over a point and when I spawned on the mobile spawn point we had setup behind a hill it was just a thing of beauty. On and around the hill was nearly 50 people guarding the spawn and attacking the enemy. To the left we had around 20 tanks all together blowing the crap out of their base with players running all around in them and to the right we had a tons of people flowing into their base. Our side easily had 200 people in that area alone, it was magnificent and really made me go, wow.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Planetside 2. We were taking over a point and when I spawned on the mobile spawn point we had setup behind a hill it was just a thing of beauty. On and around the hill was nearly 50 people guarding the spawn and attacking the enemy. To the left we had around 20 tanks all together blowing the crap out of their base with players running all around in them and to the right we had a tons of people flowing into their base. Our side easily had 200 people in that area alone, it was magnificent and really made me go, wow.

Planetside 2 didn't make my jaw drop per-se, but it is impressive seeing a huge column of vehicles move out from one point and roll on to the next, with everyone kind of together, despite minimal communication, since voice chat never seems to be used, and neither do squad commands or text chat.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Crysis.

When you're for the first time, and playing it properly on Delta difficulty with High settings and you end up in the graveyard against a squad of cloaked nanosuit soldiers it's awesome.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Far Cry 3. Graphics but more importantly gameplay caused jaw to hit floor. Still bruised.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Guild Wars 2. When I got to Lion's Arch for the first time during an event. I did not know that many people played the game.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
The Mass Effect universe/series collectively. I'd never played them until I started the first one a bit before Thanksgiving and I can't believe I missed them until now just because I never liked Sci Fi very much. It completely transcends that and creates a beautifully epic legend.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
PS:T ages ago after completing it. The amount of thought that has gone into design, story and all was just amazing. You got that strange feeling that you've just played something unlike any other game.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
PS:T ages ago after completing it. The amount of thought that has gone into design, story and all was just amazing. You got that strange feeling that you've just played something unlike any other game.

What game is PS:T?

Unmoosical

Feb 27, 2006
BF3, for the sound. When I first played it I had no idea what was going on because my brain took a while to compute all of the sound I was receiving.