What type of games would you like to see more of?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
More games like Guns of Icarus Online, it's good but it being an indie title lacks polish, variety and depth. Genre has potential.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
More Rainbow 6 stuff.. but nothing past Raven Shield, 1 shot 1 kill no respawn round based.

And for the Thief Series to continue, but more like Part 2 than 3

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
More Rainbow 6 stuff.. but nothing past Raven Shield, 1 shot 1 kill no respawn round based.

And for the Thief Series to continue, but more like Part 2 than 3

3 was awesome. What did you dislike about it?
What i hated about part 2 was the stupid cameras and robot sentry's patrol replacing the guards in later levels.

3 did have it's loading portals and some may not have liked sneaking around the city to get to each mission area, they weren't huge areas either but was far more detailed with superior A.I. and lighting in comparison with several ways to enter areas and mansions.
Part 2 had way too much blank spaces that had no purpose other than to take time finding your way, it had better CG story initially but quickly took a turn for the worse and some of the mission maps were dull as hell.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Check out these two exciting projects for this genre:

Star Citizen (Led by Chris Roberts aka developer of Wing Commander/Privateer)
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Elite: Dangerous (Led by David Braben aka developer of the original Elite)
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

They both are on kickstarter so be sure to pledge your support!

wow, both of those look incredible. especially star citizen, games like this make me realize i need to hurry up and upgrade my system.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
let me 2nd that

This thread made me break out Temple of Elemental Evil this weekend. I probably put 6-10 hours into it, and barely hit level 3. I'm only 1/2 way through the moathouse.
It breaks my heart this wasn't a mega smash, and the engine wasn't used for 100 more modules. Someone Kickstart this sucker! :)

I'm still picking up new strategies like, "Hmmm. If I focus on "Use Device" for my thief, she can cast "Cure Light Wounds", "Long Stider", and "True Shot" from scrolls and be a complete mofo!" :)

I'd really love some more quality D&D/D20 games. I wonder if we'll ever get another D&D licensed game, since D&D 4th edition has been "Warcraftized". That's not necessarily bad for tabletop D&D, but I don't know about PC games.

Another trend of games, especially RPG games, of late: (Usually) Better stories, INSANELY lower difficulty and complexity. I understand the need for this. The average player isn't going to want the brutal "Combat Simulator". It's just sad, we don't have nightmare encounters that we have almost no hope of surviving. and require a reload, or to avoid the area until later. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's nice to feel a sense of accomplishment on a hard won fight and growing your party.

I loved Gothic 1-2 and Fallout 2's random encounters early on. Punishing and awful. Made you feel the world was very hostile and dangerous, and set the mood perfectly.

Now, everything scales for the causual player. Again, I understand, but it certainly squashes the forboding mood...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Another splinter cell kind of like the first one would be nice. I love the hitman franchise, and possibly more games mgs too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Oh hell yeah, that, on PC, would be great, especially now with physics and how can 3D background be filled with so much details. The potential is right there to be exploited. But now that I think of it, that genre on the current gen consoles isn't exactly doing better either. The latest one that I am aware of (just because I found a review of it by coincidence) is Double Dragon Neon for the PS3, which looks decent (but I do not own a PS3 nor a 360, so if there's any beat-'em ups I'm missing all of them that's for sure).

I got double dragon neon from PlayStation plus and it isn't that great. Rather bust out the genesis or SNES for streets of rage or super double dragon

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I would like to see a GOOD mash-up of something like minecraft and DayZ but with actual goals/story. Where you have to survive but can also build stuff or fortify buildings. Would also need good graphics, not the blocky minecraft stuff.