What type of games would you like to see more of?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Planescape: Torment please, as well as Quest for Glory and games from the Witcher universe.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'd like to see them take Crusader Kings 2 and add a battle engine similar to the Total War series but with better AI. A complex strategy war game that has great resource management, diplomacy, and have actual field battles. That would be pretty bad ass. Other than that more Space sims would be good but they need to be good quality ones.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I'd like to see more of a couple genre's:

(Good) JRPG's of the Final Fastasy / Lost Odyssey / Star Ocean variety - seems not many games like this are being made in recent years and most of them are poorly done. Traditional RPG features seem to be getting stripped away piece by piece as time goes on, and I wish there were more games that allowed for more than three characters in a party (during battle, specifically). I'm also growing incredibly irritated with whiny immature teenagers as the main protagonists, which seems to be the new normal these days. I'll gladly take the a silent, if a bit emo-ish, Cloud like character from FF7 over the obnoxious spaz from FF10 any day. What happened to studly characters like Cecil from FF4?

Tycoon style games, particularly ones with a restaurant theme (though I'm open to others, if they sound interesting). Roller coasters and railroads don't interest me and there seems to be very little else getting any development effort for a long time. I did play and enjoy Restaurant Empire 2 recently, but the depth was severely lacking and some game mechanics were not well explained (and theres not much info online either). RE2 also had very little variety, the story mode was fun for a couple levels but it was basically the same thing over and over after that, with a few new recipes thrown in. The objective was usually 'improve profits to X dollars by Y months/years' and there really wasn't any room for creativity on how to accomplish it.

PVP-centric MMO's. I really miss Shadowbane /cry. I know there isn't a WoW-sized market for these, but there is enough to make money off of it. In my opinion there is a bigger market for these games than many developers think. They don't die out because there is no market, they die out because they didn't get proper development time/money (Shadowbane, Darkfall) and were released buggy and unfinished, or they simply had poor design from the beginning (Warhammer Online). Shadowbane in particular could have been a huge success if it wasn't released in such an awful state, so many bugs, connectivity issues, hacks, etc. Yet despite all of that it lasted six years (albeit with an ever dwindling player base), and even now, three years after it was officially shut down, there is a community effort going on to rebuild a working emulator server for the game. If someone really took the effort to make a well polished and well designed PVP-centric MMO, it could certainly enjoy a lot of success.

Last edited:

ShreddedWheat

Apr 3, 2006
I'd like to see a game that combines something with an rpg/fps like fallout3 in a space version combined with old school privateer/freelancer with complete openness. You could explore for hundreds of hours....but without the crappy same voice acting at every port! :) Single Player flight with fps/rpg aspects :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
More modern Roguelikes with the devilish depth and difficulty present in the previous dungeon draggers.

Having said that, I'm playing the latest ADOM pre-releases with new races, classes and bug fixes and I'm loving it all over again.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Fun non-violent games that I can play with my 7 year old daughter. It is amazing the percentage of games that are based on violence (I would say greater than 99%). Even Mario Bros. is based on violence.

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
I'd also like more STALKER games where I don't have to put up with the charade of warrior chicks. Do women play in the NFL or NBA? No. Are the in the Navy SEALS or other special forces? No.

Yet somehow games are full of these fake warrior chicks who would be getting wasted in real life. STALKER was all dudes and no BS. They didn't even want to talk "Leave me alone Stalker!" lol

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Epic single player RPGs.

I'm so sick of shooters, fighters, and hack em up games.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I want a sequel to Test Drive Unlimited that doesn't suck like TDU2.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Bio shock, arcanum like OP says, fallout--I love the alternate history sci fi thing with these games.

Also there are basically no space games anymore for some reason, at least not AAA titles.

I never play multi anymore; all story drien. They used to be my bread and butter but are incompatible with my life duties now.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I would like more economy/industry sims. Stuff like Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, Capitalism, etc.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Tycoon/god games is what I miss most. I enjoyed those a lot and they have mostly disappeared.

We would be treated with Simcity this year if it wasn't for the awful DRM....I just can't bring myself to buy something so hindered.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
We need more FMV rail shooters! It's almost criminal how long fans of this genre been left in the dark.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Something like Homeworld type game again.

Something ala Freespace series.

I'd also like to see more FPS games that have good depth and interaction. Kinda like Skyrim or STALKER

Tired of all the call of duty type bullcrap all multiplayer no good single player. Some of us don't like dealing with a bunch of 12 yr old brats.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Story based isometric RPG's (PS:T, BG, etc.)

Space combat RTS's (Homeworld)

Space fighter simulations (Freespace 2)