What type of games would you like to see more of?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I miss the co-op beat em up games like Streets of Rage. I wouldn't mind seeing a new one that makes use of things we can do on screen now. Maybe with a decent fighting game engine in it. That genre is effectively dead though.

I wouldn't mind seeing games that make use of stealth and allow you environmental interaction too. Like Metal Gear solid. Distract guard, shoot out lights so he cannot see, hide bodies to avoid attention etc. Now that I think about it, I'd really like if someone made a Tenchu style game that was of the same quality as Metal Gear or Splinter Cell series. Not Mark of the Ninja either...didn't like that.

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I would pay good money for a complete modernization of the x-wing, tie fighter, and X-wing alliance games. I know that mods are out there for visuals, but a complete remake with enhanced lighting, textures, tesselation, physx, etc. would be awesome.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
A story driven space sim like Freespace. Seems like the most popular request here too.

Because Freespace 2 was quite literally so epic. The plot and graphics were and remain great despite the age of the game. I still play it at least once a year. Just a fantastic game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I miss the co-op beat em up games like Streets of Rage. I wouldn't mind seeing a new one that makes use of things we can do on screen now. Maybe with a decent fighting game engine in it. That genre is effectively dead though.

I wouldn't mind seeing games that make use of stealth and allow you environmental interaction too. Like Metal Gear solid. Distract guard, shoot out lights so he cannot see, hide bodies to avoid attention etc. Now that I think about it, I'd really like if someone made a Tenchu style game that was of the same quality as Metal Gear or Splinter Cell series. Not Mark of the Ninja either...didn't like that.

Oh hell yeah, that, on PC, would be great, especially now with physics and how can 3D background be filled with so much details. The potential is right there to be exploited. But now that I think of it, that genre on the current gen consoles isn't exactly doing better either. The latest one that I am aware of (just because I found a review of it by coincidence) is Double Dragon Neon for the PS3, which looks decent (but I do not own a PS3 nor a 360, so if there's any beat-'em ups I'm missing all of them that's for sure).

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
I'm shocked how few mentioned strategy. Where are the successors to C&C (NOT the godawful C&C4), Act of War, Age of Empires?

Action adventures like Outcast and of course space sims and simulations like Sim City.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Space fighter sims like Freelancer. C'mon, they are like the easiest games to make...There is no excuse why nobody even tries anymore instead we get another modernwarfareFPS #1143244.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Freelancer Capital Ship edition. PVP only. Epic battles, permadeath, hire mercs, combat that takes hours.

Or I will take an EVE online type game without the stupid gate camping mechanics.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Space fighter sims like Freelancer. C'mon, they are like the easiest games to make...There is no excuse why nobody even tries anymore instead we get another modernwarfareFPS #1143244.

Why not make a blend of space fighter sim and MW? 64 player space battles would be awesome. Throw in capital ship perks, exosuits, etc . . . and you would have a pretty fun multiplayer game if you ask me.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
More:
Space Simulation - Big fan of the X series by Egosoft, looking forward to Rebirth. X3:AP is pretty good too but feels a bit outdated and they made some strange gameplay/UI decisions

Civilian flight simulation - No real alternative since Microsoft killed off the Flight Simulator franchise

A good single-player RPG is always fun but the market is getting a bit saturated.

Less:
MMORPG's - I prefer artificial intelligence to real idiots

FPS's - Absolutely no originality or innovation in this genre for the past 8-10 years

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Something like EVE but with actual twitch space combat (X-Wing, Freespace). A Star Wars MMO based entirely around space combat, in which you could control capital ships as well, would be a dream come true.

In general, more MMOs like EVE and PlanetSide 2 where the game's world is driven more by the players themselves then some contrived series of quests.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm shocked how few mentioned strategy. Where are the successors to C&C (NOT the godawful C&C4), Act of War, Age of Empires?

Action adventures like Outcast and of course space sims and simulations like Sim City.

Agreed. Some of the best gaming I have ever done has been on C&C: Tiberian Sun and Generals. Damn, I was really good at Tib Sun if I do say so myself. I was in the 5 minutes or less game match class of players. Cyborg Commando combined with infantry rush and hold back some inf, a few tick tanks and the EMP to counter the enemy's rush. Maybe a few sams and rocket men if they are GDI. You know they are coming with a drop ship and a disruptor, or the dreaded Titan rush w/ infantry .
Never have i played a game that REQUIRED you to attack and defend at exactly the same time in order to win like this game did. My game name was "Artilary6". Maybe some of you remember me?

Last edited:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Or I will take an EVE online type game without the stupid gate camping mechanics.

Yeah EVE had a real nice foundation but aside from gate camping I hated the travel system (literally sit there staring at monitor for long periods of time listening to "approaching stargate") and the skill system where you could fight 1,000 pirates one day and gain absolutely no skill but you can be offline for a month just logging in to change skill queue and suddenly become an elite pilot.

A space game like EVE but with mechanics more similar to early Ultima Online would be orgasmic

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I discovered there is a way to play Tiberian Sun online still. If anyone is interested maybe this weekend we can get a few people together and have a 2 on 2.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Massive well done party driven single player RPGs !!!!

+1 000 000 XP for that!

Last good RPG I played was Dragon Age: Origins. Since then, nothing as come close IMO. I miss the Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment era: Epic stories, epic loot, epic lenght and epic fun!

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
As was mentioned, JRPGs.

To get my fix, I usually fire up PCSX2 (PS2 emulator), and am having a complete blast with Tales of the Abyss (non-dubbed edition). It plays like an interactive anime with great dialog between the characters. Soundtrack is beautifully done as well. Blocky graphics at times? Who gives a crap - the story is great.

Might be my personality, but I could never get myself into Western RPGs (turns into a snorefest after awhile). I'll play Oblivion/ Skyrim for a bit (enjoy the scenery), then quit; PS: T didn't last for more than a couple of hours, and so forth.

Only KOTOR (Star Wars fan) and ME had me glued to the PC for hours on end. Too much doom and gloom everywhere else.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Might be my personality, but I could never get myself into Western RPGs (turns into a snorefest after awhile). I'll play Oblivion/ Skyrim for a bit (enjoy the scenery), then quit; PS: T didn't last for more than a couple of hours, and so forth.

Oblivion/Skyrim are a different type of RPGs that focus on openness and exploration rather than story. D&D games tend to be much more story oriented (BG, NWN etc.).

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'd like to see more Mech games and post-apocalyptic games, ideally I'd like to see a really well done Fallout Online.