What sweeping change would you make?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I like the idea of closing up our military bases around the globe if the host countries will not pay for them. And by extension, stop playing team America world police. Pulling back and concentrating on our own country feels overdue. Military and economic aid being pulled would not bother me either. Everyone seems to dislike us and have issues with us. Well fine, we will take our ball and go home. You will find yourselves kicking rocks and breaking toes for the effort, once we do.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
*Concentration Camps
*Martial Law
*7pm Curfew
*Rip up the Constitution
*Forced Factory Work for $2 Hour
*Nuclear War?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
*Concentration Camps
*Martial Law
*7pm Curfew
*Rip up the Constitution
*Forced Factory Work for $2 Hour
*Nuclear War?
That IS what Stewie would do.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I would do something radical that no one on wall street with agree with.

1. Declare all cash money non-legal tender unless exchanged for new bills.
2. People will be capped at $5 million dollars each so that the billionaires start feeling the pain and their cayman bank accounts are worthless with all the money they hid there.
3. Declare the stock market illegal.

I dunno about you but $5million per person cap sounds reasonable to me. A poor person will feel no impact. A middle class person isn't going to feel much impact. If he has a wife/ kid/ dad/ relatives, they can all get $5 mil more each to extend the amount they own.. this should cover lottery winners

But billionaires.. ooh billionaires.. CHOMP!

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Progressively raise the inheritance tax to 80% for estates worth more than $50 million. Back it up with enforcement that would include lifetime sentences and complete confiscation for attempted evasion of the tax.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm going to count this as one thing:

Cut the military back to a station-keeping force of officers and NCOs large enough to maintain our equipment and bases and to train soldiers in time of war. Then implement a minimum two year service requirement for all adults, male or female, at age 18. Anyone physically or mentally incapable of serving would be given some other public service task. Any military action would require the vote of congress and after its conclusion or two years, whichever comes first, congress is vacated and no Congressperson may hold office again for 10 years. All able-bodied citizens would be in a draft pool and may have to go to war.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I like the idea of closing up our military bases around the globe if the host countries will not pay for them.

They already do. For example it costs about $5.5B/year for the military presence in Japan. Of that the Japanese cover $4B. Do they pay for it all? No. Would I expect them to pay for all of it? No. I think having that presence their benefits the U.S militarily and strategically beyond Japan. Could South Korea pay more than 40%, sure. But Trump was always misleading implying that they pay next to nothing for our support.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/q-a-how-much-do-u-s-military-bases-in-japan-and-korea-cost-1461822624

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
-= Defense, Advancement, Merit =-

- Mandatory military training/fitness and optional service. Naval/Marine/Airforce ranks only. Active service(foot) age limit 35 years, Passive service(desk) age limit 70 years. Dependent on stages of human life and health.

- Removal of all forms of real world currency for real world things in real life borders. No Gold/Cash/Crypto for water, air, etc.

- The advent of the slot-based 24/7/365 workforce. If you fulfill the requirements of an open slot you get that job for the allotted hours and time it exists. First come, first serve.

- Free taxi transport. Need jobs and a way to get from location to location.

- Free education and books with the ability to select the teacher you want. Non-military training. Free to retake courses in different locations as well. Tests are uniform, randomized, and cover the whole subject; requires 100% correctness to pass. For written subjects, experiments, building/shop, etc must be achieved in a group peer or student/teacher testing setup. Must pass several times before being certified.

- Free healthcare from mandatory military training and slot-based workforce. This comes with mandatory doctor visits. Purpose to search for problems that can harm your productive self.

- Free housing required by the work place for easy transportation. This is more for location-specific slots. (Farming, Mining, Bases, etc)

- Free familial/couples housing(rural/sub-urban) and free bachelor/bachelorette/singles housing(apartments).

- Future-proof constitution:
Government stages: Local, District, State, Sector, Sub-Continental, Continental, Planetary, System, Zone, Empire/Republic/Commonwealth/bleh
Public Powers: Executive, Legislative, Judicial // Elected by merit(no term limit) or by competitive popular vote(tournament system: Infinite parties -> 16 parties -> 8 parties -> 4 parties -> 2 parties -> 1 party)((term limit determined by the people)) // Elected officials can be dynastic. -- Term limit by the people => Person gets elected lame ducks, vote to change or person does something isn't liked, vote to change.
Private Powers: Religious(faith/beliefs), Dynastic(same career choice every generation), uh what else.

- Taxes are public services; building, sharing, unification, security/defense, advancement. Mandatory work slots that are in dire need of supply.

- Two forms of marriage: reproductive and non-reproductive. One implies the intent to reproduce(eugenic), the other is not tied to reproduction(companionship). Overall, it is location-based and over-population/under-population control.

- Freedom to discuss, speak, protest and debate at any time.

- Freedom to wield any weapon that you can carry post-mil training.

- Forced Biometric ID, RF Identification, etc.

Ideal slot time;
3 hours per day before the next person works.
4 hours per day before the next person works.
6 hours per day before the next person works.
8 hours per day before the next person works.
Generally, most demanding mental/physical will be the shortest. While, the least demanding mental/physical will be the longest. Ultimately, it would be the best production rate with the lowest health risk.

You only get one.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
1) Flat Tax. Kill the IRS.
2) Term limits for the House, Senate and Supreme court.
3) 5 year minimum mandatory for drug users with the option of drug rehabilitation. Upon completion 2 years knocked off sentence.
4) 30 year minimum mandatory for drug pushers.
5) 30 to a life sentence for those found guilty of being in organized crime.
6) Build the wall, a project not seen since the construction of the Hoover Dam.
7) E-verify
8) Add more border guards and technology including drones. (No, not weaponized you ass clown)
9) Send in 20,000 troops to Syria and Iraq and wipe ISIS off the fucking map!
10) Kill Obozo care
11) Kill the Iran bull shit.
12) Prosecute Hillary.
13) Ban those on the terror watch list form buying a gun
14) Reduce the 35% corporate tax and regulations.
15) Fix the god damn VA!
16) Shrink the EPA's birches.
17) Cut funding to sanctuary cities.
18) Executive Order Kate's Law.
19) Promote the availability of adoption/foster care and the fact hospitals, police stations and fire stations will take your baby. Ban abortion unless rape or incest or if the mother's life is in jeopardy with mothers consent or intimidate families consent.
20) I'm thinking mandatory military service at 18 for two years. Not sure though. An all volunteer military has been successful, but recruiting is down.
I can think of many, many more...
Now you can hate me. :) :smilingimp:
I thought I'd take a stab at my views on your list since you gave one of the more comprehensive lists. Also, while others who disagree with you have been quick to insult, I wanted to make a serious attempt at discourse here.

1. Flat tax is a horrible idea. How horrible and why it's horrible depends on if you mean flat tax rate or flat sales tax. Flat sales tax is actually worse. The reasons are multiple, but primarily a person who makes $10 million a year can live comfortably spending 10% of what they make, a person who makes $30k a year spends pretty much everything they have to survive. A flat sales tax makes it so the person making less pays a higher percentage of their income in taxes. Second, anything that increases the price significantly like a flat sales tax will discourage consumerism which will hurt the economy. This will also cause black markets to emerge where a person would save 30% simply paying the same amount but without tax. In addition pretty much every estimate of the idea said it would significantly reduce the funds government takes in. I've also seen the idea that to prevent a flat sales tax from hurting the poor that they get monthly credits. However, to do this would require a massive agency. The IRS has to take on thousands of temporary employees each year at tax season. Now imagine an agency that has to issue monthly tax credits? To do this would be the equivalent of processing every tax return in the nation, every single month. Neither a flat sales tax or a flat tax rate will kill the IRS because someone still has to collect that tax. You even mention in number 14 reducing the corporate tax, not eliminating it. The IRS collects and enforces that tax, so again it won't be killed.
2. Term limits for House and Senate good, Supreme Court I think would not be as good of an idea. They have lifetime appointments to try to keep them immune from politics.
3. Mandatory minimum sentencing is a bad idea. Also, seriously, if people want to do drugs and aren't hurting anyone, why not let em? Aren't you for more personal freedom?
4. I still don't like the idea of minimum sentencing, but I'm for strict sentencing guidelines on drug pushers.
5. Same as above.
6. It's too expensive, logistically impossible, would require seizing private land in many places. It's simply not ever going to happen. We'd be better served fighting illegal immigration in many other ways.
7.This would be one of those better ways I talked about above.
8. This would also be a better way.
9. While something needs to be done, sending in ground troops to Iraq got us stuck in a quagmire that created ISIS. We need to support governments in the region ending ISIS, not do it for them.
10. Ugh, you could at least TRY to be serious and refer to it as either the ACA or Obamacare. I'm all for working to fix it, but "killing" it won't help and won't fix problems, it'll create more.
11. The international agreement on Iran is pretty much the only thing keeping them from getting a nuke.
12. For what? The GOP has spent how many millions of tax payer dollars trying to find anything they can on her and have failed.
13. I completely agree but inclusion on the terror watch list needs to be fixed before this is done.
14. I agree we need to reduce the corporate tax rate but only if we also eliminate loopholes corporations use to avoid taxation altogether.
15. Agreed, but how? It's been a mess for decades honestly.
16. I personally like the environment and would like to prevent people from fucking it up too bad.
17. I can understand why people have issues with sanctuary cities, but the entire reason they exist has to do with funding. It's simply too expensive for some cities to try to be the ones enforcing immigration laws. It's really worth looking in to why they exist instead of just hating them altogether. Read number 5 here to understand why it's not so simple
18. I get you are passionate about illegal immigration. But a Kate's law is punishing someone for trying to lead a better life. And honestly, our prison system is overtaxed as it is. There's got to be a better way.
19. I'm all for promoting adotpion/foster care. Banning abortion has never stopped abortion, it's simply stopped it from being safe. The best way to reduce abortions is to promote comprehensive sex education and make multiple forms of birth control easily available and cheap/free. We absolutely should not legislate control over someone's body. This is similar to my stance on drug use (note, I've never once used an illegal drug)
20. Mandatory military service would not work with a population like ours. First, we're too big. Second, that would BLOAT the military. The current military has 1.4 million members from what I can find. In the 2010 census there were 14 million Americans age 18-21. I'm all for encouraging public service from our youth though. Perhaps we could make institute volunteer hours before being able to acquire a driver's license? That could heavily assist in teaching our youth respect and service.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
They already do. For example it costs about $5.5B/year for the military presence in Japan. Of that the Japanese cover $4B. Do they pay for it all? No. Would I expect them to pay for all of it? No. I think having that presence their benefits the U.S militarily and strategically beyond Japan. Could South Korea pay more than 40%, sure. But Trump was always misleading implying that they pay next to nothing for our support.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/q-a-how-much-do-u-s-military-bases-in-japan-and-korea-cost-1461822624
Thank you for the reply. I am unable to access the article, but the short video states that our cost is over 5B yearly, and that the Japanese contribute several billion more. That does not sync with the info you cited.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Quoted instead of editing, ignore.