What, no thread about Stadia in this subforum? (Cloud gaming - Read Dead Redemption 2 joined at Nov launch)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Because nobody cares about another console to join the war. It's likely going to hide in the shadows like the Ouya and then die out shortly just like the Ouya.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Chances for Stadia look quite slim, since nowadays you can build a respectable system quite cheaply. Although I'm quite sure that Google will think of something to try make it work. Maybe implement the idea differently.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chances for Stadia look quite slim, since nowadays you can build a respectable system quite cheaply. Although I'm quite sure that Google will think of something to try make it work. Maybe implement the idea differently.
Maybe with 5G cell phones, and higher bandwidth and lower latency, and BlueTooth Console-style controllers, they might find a niche among mobile gamers that want to play AAA PC games on their HD-screen phones on the go. Could happen. Other than that, I don't see the regular PC-owning gaming public interested at all.

Feb 4, 2009
That would require an iron-clad unlimited plan. Good luck getting one of those from a mobile provider these days.

Could be some kind of agreement between carrier and google as in google will sell special model devices for that carrier and that carrier allows Non throttled data for their subscribers to game service. Unlikely but possible.

I’m thinking stadia is going to suck, launching in a few days and I’ve yet to see an ad or read a review or find any info except in this thread.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
That would require an iron-clad unlimited plan. Good luck getting one of those from a mobile provider these days.

Spend how many hundreds of dollars a year on unlimited 5G data, and have the game drop out every time it rains, or a bus drives past, or a pigeon farts... or just buy a Switch?

EDIT: I think people equating this with Netflix on your phone are in for a shock. Streaming video has one enormous advantage... BUFFERING. A buffer of 10s of second ahead can smooth over all sorts of inconsistency in your cell signal. But for streamed games you needed the lowest latency possible, so no buffer. Meaning any fluctuations in signal strength will immediately screw up your game.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I personally think this is the future of gaming, even if Stadia flops this time. Latency will only get better with technology - Edge computing and more data centers closer to everyone.

Also razor sharp latency isn't required for all titles outside of FPS.

I think the real battle for Google is content management and securing titles.

Feb 4, 2009
I personally think this is the future of gaming, even if Stadia flops this time. Latency will only get better with technology - Edge computing and more data centers closer to everyone.

Also razor sharp latency isn't required for all titles outside of FPS.

I think the real battle for Google is content management and securing titles.

I think this will be a service, maybe an add on for cable.
Not so sure about the latency will be improved part. Latency is a matter of distance & speed. I don’t think we will see huge improvements in latency without radically rethinking networking and maybe programming.
However I agree game streaming will become popular at some point.
Also I am confident a AAA game maker will ultimately publish some huge game as streaming only.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I think this will be a service, maybe an add on for cable.
Not so sure about the latency will be improved part. Latency is a matter of distance & speed. I don’t think we will see huge improvements in latency without radically rethinking networking and maybe programming.
However I agree game streaming will become popular at some point.
Also I am confident a AAA game maker will ultimately publish some huge game as streaming only.
I read an article about applying predictive input to alleviate this.

That makes no sense to me now, especially for any competitive gaming.

Feb 4, 2009
I read an article about applying predictive input to alleviate this.

That makes no sense to me now, especially for any competitive gaming.

I know I’ve read similar stuff. I hate to be Mr. Negative but I’ve been reading stuff like that for more than 10 years and nothing ever changes.
I do completely agree we will see streaming games soon, I just think they will be aimed at super casual gamers but business needs to start somewhere.

gerald95

Oct 16, 2019
Maybe with 5G cell phones, and higher bandwidth and lower latency, and BlueTooth Console-style controllers, they might find a niche among mobile gamers that want to play AAA PC games on their HD-screen phones on the go. Could happen. Other than that, I don't see the regular PC-owning gaming public interested at all.
Yeah I agree. Mobile gaming could be that niche although you'd still have to pay for 5g so in the end it could get quite expensive.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Its being launched by google, its got zero chance of existing in 2 years regardless.
And this is why devs will be hesitant to work on the platform. Google's track record is going to hinder any new projects they launch.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Microsoft's Xcloud for game streaming looks more appealing. More games at launch and if I am not mistaken, free to use now before release. I'm not interested in these services at all BUT if I were, I would rather go with Microsoft over Google.

Feb 4, 2009
More news, more titles added.

I’m sort of tired. Did I read this correctly?
You need to buy the games on stadia not subscribe and have a library to play?

That’s a tough proposition to me, if I want to play a game on the TV I still need to deal with streaming my game to my PC?
I lose the game when stadia decides to close or not update?

This thing is going to fail, far too complicated to even find out what the cost is.
Why would anyone pay $10 per month if you still need to buy the games “like any other storefront”
What is the benefit of the $10 per month package vs the free package?
Is it for better resolution? If so that’s incredibly irritating

Edit:
Appears the $10 per month gets you zero games, likely some promotional ones at launch but that’s it.
$10 will get you 4K & 5.1 audio steaming.
$10 per month may get you one game per month but I’ll bet the selection will be super limited. I can’t imagine they’d let me spend $10 for one month, chooses RDR2 then continue to play Red Dead forever at 1080P.
You will need a special chrome cast at launch to play on your TV.

This service is destined to fail. I see no reason for it to exist in its current form.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
^^^lag wise that doesn’t look too bad, not ideal but not horrible either.
Major bummer is you have to buy the damn games and it doesn’t appear they will be any cheaper than other options.
Not to sound like our favorite poster but I can avoid it, in this case he is right. You don’t own the damn game you paid for.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I dunno, one of those keystrokes looks like 400-500ms input lag. That's quite bad.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
he pushes the jump and and litterally takes almost a second to respond.
That is horrible lag.
Imagine how much worse it can get if the server is loaded.

Future in gaming?
No it looks like future in Pixel 3 sales as that article states it works amazing on a pixel.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Maybe something special in the hardware or something funky in the browser that a non google company hasn’t added?
Pure guess

Only thing I can think of is that the Pixel phones (and other Android phones) may have some fixed-function hardware to aid in frame decodes that a PC would have to do in software.

Feb 4, 2009
Only thing I can think of is that the Pixel phones (and other Android phones) may have some fixed-function hardware to aid in frame decodes that a PC would have to do in software.

Sort of what I was thinking but I didn’t know the right words.
Basically something that no other company is going to support because it has zero benefit for them to support it.