What modern slang that is becoming mainstream are you annoyed with?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
My daughter, 9, and her cousins keeps saying "get wrecked, son" regardless of the gender she's talking to, when she's playing on her ipad or whatever. It's an old saying that appears to be making a comeback, but it's annoying AF.

Also, I have a few co-workers sub 30 that say "bougie"(sp?) in the context of someplace fancy, or if something looks fancy or name brand or something. Annoying as well.

I feel old.

I've been using 'bougie' for years! I'm sure it's an old truncation of 'bourgeois' I think something analogous was in use in Russia at the time of the revolution - though it carried a stronger overtone of contempt and hatred in that context.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Oh, and it's not slang really, but I'm irritated by the over use of the word 'narrative'. It gets used constantly by political pundits. It started, as far as I can see, with the Blair years, where a lot of politicians who'd done university courses with some post-modernist influence, where the word was fashionable, kept using it. Now everyone, left and right, talks about 'controlling the narrative' or sneers at the other lot pushing a particular 'narrative'. Makes me wonder how we ever talked about politics before the word became fashionable in the '90s.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I've been using 'bougie' for years! I'm sure it's an old truncation of 'bourgeois' I think something analogous was in use in Russia at the time of the revolution - though it carried a stronger overtone of contempt and hatred in that context.

Ha! I'd never heard the word until we hired a few new folks who are in their mid 20s a few months ago!

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Seems like it only lasted a year, but "adulting" was always annoying and stupid.

I also get annoyed when people refer to their kids as "kiddo(s)" or dog as "doggo" like they're trying to be cute or something.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I'm currently not keen on 'woke' (to mean enlightened, or what was once called 'right-on', though that term does itself smell of patchouli oil and old hippies, so maybe it was due a refresh, come to think of it). Also, 'optics' to mean 'appearances'.

What makes me feel dubious about a lot of slang is the sense that people adopt it out of an insecure desire to sound like some other group they perceive as being cooler. Eventually it becomes just ordinary language and everyone uses it unself-conciously, but there's a period of time when it just sounds a bit false.

I have never heard anyone say “woke” in real life in a non snarky/sarcastic way.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Ha! I'd never heard the word until we hired a few new folks who are in their mid 20s a few months ago!

Just looked it up and the Russian term was Burzhooi. Very much a term of disparagement.

I suspect 'bougie' comes out of leftist political circles originally, but has escaped into the wild.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Beats fishy.

Don't beat fish. Animal cruelty is prohibited here.

*So I was looking for a funny fish gif for this, and came across this.

b4dd10203df39c70cc6664f14468d9ec.gif

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate "build the wall" which means "I am an asshole"
Also hate "maga" which means "I am an asshole"

Reactions: Oyeve

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Never geard that before. Should be the other way around, imo.

well I made up the "modern" part. I believe the terms came about co-equally. You often find such terms in rather animist cultures, like among the rooskies and various caribbean folk, I suspect.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Millennial use/understanding of "meta" is almost as bad as general understanding of "ironic" or "literally."

Reactions: Perknose