What modern slang that is becoming mainstream are you annoyed with?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011

I'm love/hate with that one. I feel dumb AF when I catch myself using it, but "fuck" is such a huge part of my daily vocabulary that the efficiency of AF makes it useful AF.

Really, most slang doesn't bother me at all as long as it stays on the internet or in texts or whatever. When it starts to show up in work emails or regular conversations I have to restrain myself from saying something dickish.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I can't believe that no-one has suggested this yet:

epic

as a general go-to adjective to describe something as vaguely positive.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I don't know how modern it is, but I encounter a lot more online typing "I seen" instead of "I have seen" or "I saw."

"I seen this..."
"I seen that..."
"Yesterday I seen him..."

I know at least one guy who does it in conversation.

Aug 11, 2008
it's no different than saying "no problem"

i tell people "no problem" even when helping them was a big annoyance

Kb9RQhY.jpg
No it isnt. "No problem" is singular, referring correctly to the specific situation under discussion. "No worries" is plural. It actually is trivializing the topic under discussion, implying whoever says it has some global knowledge of your entire life and mental state. And yes I know what it is meant to say, but it grammatically says something entirely different, that is why it annoys me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That Ho Over There

Of course, most of the time you could just say "Ho" and save a couple letters.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yes, could do with less of this one.
I can't believe that no-one has suggested this yet:

epic

as a general go-to adjective to describe something as vaguely positive.
Eh, that one kind of already peaked a few years back and is on the way out, isn't it?
That's because we still don't know it means even after having it explained by users of the word.
I think for me it's that I rarely encounter it in the wild (thankfully). It is very annoying.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I hate how people leave out "to be". "My tires need replaced." Just so freaking weird.

ugh i heard this about 10 times in a freaking hour meeting today

Why don't we take this offline so we can compartmentalize the ask and circle back as a team before the next discussion with a better understanding of the problem? :D

Reactions: pmv and lxskllr

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Younger co-workers (20-30 y.o.) are all of a sudden using "hype" for some reason. As in "This is hype" or "That's hype man!"

They're saying it all the time. I seem to remember using "hype" as a way to describe an emotion. Like "I'm hyped for the game tonight". Now it's just another term for cool or something. Starting to get annoying!

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
i love slang phrases.. whats the new one now? if i can't say it its even better

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yo man that is so scrilladallawagatrugadow. Kids around here say it all the time but I don't get it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
This thread distresses me. One of the reasons I'm here is to keep up with the street lingo of today's youth. If that vocabulary is not used here, I fear I'll lose my hep-daddy status.

Groovy...