CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
Currently i have a dual display set up which is just 2 19" HD Ready TV's. I want to replace them with two of the same gaming monitors. I am currently considering this monitor:

https://www.asus.com/ie/Monitors/VX228H/

I will be using one for my xbox one s and the other for my PC which has an r9 280x (which ill be upgrading) please let me know is this a good choice monitor and is there any other that you would recommend for around the same price.

Thank you

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have an ASUS ROG and I freakin love it.

For a real gaming monitor I highly suggest you get something with Display Port and G-Sync. It really makes a difference.

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
I have an ASUS ROG and I freakin love it.

For a real gaming monitor I highly suggest you get something with Display Port and G-Sync. It really makes a difference.
What is so different about a display port and g-sync? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in this kinda stuff, still learning.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Good frame rates and less image tearing. If you want a real gaming monitor I think they are worth the extra cost.

https://www.asus.com/ie/Monitors/Gaming-Products/

I have the PG278Q which is not on that page, but its nice and I have never been happier with a display.
Oh, and Display Port allows for much higher resolution than HDMI or DVI. Normally you would need several DVI connections to get what a single Display Port can do. I've been running most of my games at 2560x1440.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I take it you are not interested in a larger monitor? Usually when I think about upgrading that includes going bigger too. For PC monitors I prefer a minimum of 24". I too have a asus gaming monitor (an older one) not one of these fancy high end ones, but it works great and is 24". I don't think you will go wrong with the monitor you linked to OP but I would consider 24" myself. Two 24's would look great.

For the record I do not use my 24" Asus. It has been sitting in storage for 5 years or more. I currently us a 4k display that is much larger.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Are you looking to use these monitors purely for gaming? What type of games do you prefer?

The reason I ask is because you can go a couple of routes, unless you're willing to spend a premium on all of them. Higher resolution(1080 vs 1440 vs 4k), color accuracy(IPS vs TN), or refresh rate(60 vs 120-144Hz).

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
I play games such as FIFA, Battlefield 1, gears 4, far cry primal, assassins creed, gta etc. i would like to keep the price between 120 and 180 euro and they will be on a desk so 24" max

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Different strokes I guess, over the summer I went with a 40" 4K TV for my monitor using HDMI 2.0 and I could never go back to a smaller screen now. Over Black Friday, I saw the 55" flat screen LG OLED B6 was on sale so now I use that as my monitor, at that size it's definitely the absolute maximum I could tolerate while sitting this close but it doesn't take long to grow accustomed to the large size and then not want to ever go back.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
I'm not sure what they're going for in Europe, but as the euro to dollar conversion is almost 1 to 1 as of today I'm just going to go with something within the $180 ballpark.

IPS: If you want good color, look at the Dell U2414H. It's around $180-200 on sale. Unlike a lot of IPS, it has good input lag making it a pretty good gaming monitor with great color to boot compared to the average gaming TN monitors.

Refresh Rate: You didn't list a lot of fps games so I'm not all that certain if 144Hz will be worth it, but have a look at the Asus VG248QE if you're interested in going this route. It hovers around $200-220 on sale. It doesn't have adaptive sync, but I don't believe there are many good quality monitors that have both 144Hz and adaptive sync at this price point.

I'm not going to list 1440p and above since you listed that you're locked to 24" and I believe that the general consensus is that 27" is the recommended monitor size for a comfortable pixel density for everyday/gaming use.

As with any peripheral suggestions, the best way to test is to look at similar technologies in store and see if any of the features listed is worth it to you. The only problem will be finding a store that lets you demo games to see if things like higher refresh rate is noticeable to yourself.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I'm glad I bought this monitor that was way over my budget... it's the way you interact w/ your computer... you stare at it for too many hours each day!

I went with the 27" Acer XB271HU (IPS, 2560x1440, 165Hz, GSync)... AMAZING...

My son and I play Battlefield 4 and 1.

Reactions: WiseUp216

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
I'm glad I bought this monitor that was way over my budget... it's the way you interact w/ your computer... you stare at it for too many hours each day!

I went with the 27" Acer XB271HU (IPS, 2560x1440, 165Hz, GSync)... AMAZING...

My son and I play Battlefield 4 and 1.

I'm actually looking to upgrade to that monitor myself, but I'm a little worried that there are multiple reports of the terrible backlight bleed on those models(well the 270 in particular, but the 271 was the direct refresh so possibly the same quality assurance). Any comment on if that's true?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I'm actually looking to upgrade to that monitor myself, but I'm a little worried that there are multiple reports of the terrible backlight bleed on those models(well the 270 in particular, but the 271 was the direct refresh so possibly the same quality assurance). Any comment on if that's true?

Human nature being what it is, the few that have had issues endlessly post about it at many forums.

That monitor is the best gaming monitor out there. We have had zero problems... extremely happy w/ picture quality.

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
I would love to upgrade to a monitor like that but i can't afford two. I want to upgrade both my monitors and can't stand to have two different ones

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'd recommend a projector if you can swing it, but, probably a good one wont work for your budget :(

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why two monitors? That seems like a sub-optimal experience, unless they are in different areas.

I switched to a BenQ 27"; it made an amazing difference from my Acer 24", both in screen area and pixel density/text size. I would spend some time looking at different sized monitors before accepting anything less than 24" - it really does make a huge difference.

CianO97

Dec 30, 2015
Why two monitors? That seems like a sub-optimal experience, unless they are in different areas.

I switched to a BenQ 27"; it made an amazing difference from my Acer 24", both in screen area and pixel density/text size. I would spend some time looking at different sized monitors before accepting anything less than 24" - it really does make a huge difference.

Because I use one for my xbox and one for my pc, i use both at the same time quite alot

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For those looking for a 34", PC Gamer recommends the Acer XR342CK ($800 on Amazon).

Note - Freesynch is for AMD, G-Synch is for Nividia. (That one has Freesynch).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Because I use one for my xbox and one for my pc, i use both at the same time quite alot
Oh. I wouldn't have thought that practical.

Well, now I just feel strangely personally insufficient. lol

For those looking for a 34", PC Gamer recommends the Acer XR342CK ($800 on Amazon).

Note - Freesynch is for AMD, G-Synch is for Nividia. (That one has Freesynch).
I wish. If I dropped $800 on a monitor, I'd have to sleep in the car and the car would have to be farther away from the house than my wife can throw a rock. Maybe farther away than she can shoot . . . Nice to dream though.