What is your Mount Rushmore of PC games?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The first PC game that got me into gaming was MYST. After that it was all adventure games until Kings Quest 8, when I discovered I also liked the combat element in games, and played all of the "classics" (Half Life, Deus Ex, System Shock, Unreal, NOLF to name a few). All right, FPS style became a favorite genre (with some adventure games thrown in such as Longest Journey, Siberia).

It was not until recently that I began playing RPG's, though some of the aforementioned games had RPG elements.
It was only recently I discovered RPG's with WITCHER. Wow, I guess I missed a lot of great games! Played Mass Effect 2, Oblivian, Looking forward to playing Morrowind, Skyrim and Witcher 2,3.

Lastly, I loved the Thief series, though not sure how to classify them. (Sneak steam punk adventure?)

Anyway, the "Mount Rushmore" of gaming for me was discovering and playing new genres over the years, ending (so far) with RPG's.

The Wife

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I remember playing PC games back in the early 90's (DOOM, Wolfenstein3D, various RPGs that I can't remember the titles of, MYST). It was fun, but I wasn't really hooked on any of it. I was more into console games like Secret of Mana and such.

It wasn't until the late 2000's that I decided to revisit PC games (and assembled my first gaming rig).

I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SHoC because I read on a forum that it was a really good PC game. I was completely blown away. I had no idea that an FPS could be so immersive and interesting on more than just a game mechanic level. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

I went crazy on Steam and bought a bunch of popular titles (C&C, Oblivion, MassEffect, Fallout3, F.E.A.R., CoD and BF, all the Valve stuff, KOTOR, FarCry, etc...).

Had lots of fun, but none of them really fascinated me and drew me in like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Crysis was the next game that I really got into, both the SP and MP and the modding community.

I guess my Mount Rushmore just has two heads, but that's it as far as my definite PC moments goes. There were other games I really got into...(Skyrim, Borderlands2, System Shock2, etc)...but none of those real life-changing experiences.

Perhaps Dear Esther, which is arguably not even a game, but still managed to get to me in a way that very few other games have.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
im 40.

i've played so many awesome games.

some where awesome when they came out; some are still today. and it doesnt mean that those which still are, are better than those which aren't anymore.

i'm sure that the future will bring many, many more awesome games, you just need to keep looking.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Doom 2
Myst
Team Fortress Classic
Command and Conquer

Those cemented me into PC gaming.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Resident Evil 2 was what really got me into the gaming world.

Hurts me to see what a pile of rubbish the series has become, but I guess it is what the kids want nowadays. I can't believe that was 1998! I am getting old.