What is your Mount Rushmore of PC games?

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
When you think of all the games you've played on PC, what come to mind as the most memorable experiences that really caused you to love PC games? What games did you to play for 24 hours in a row, not being able to tell if it's daytime or nighttime? (inspired by the other thread)

What games define who you are as a PC gamer?

If you had to pick 4 games that are the foundations of your PC gaming history, what would they be?

Mine would be:

1. Doom 2 - My first real PC game I played...1994ish. Dialup BBS with 15 connections, got to know everyone well...many a night were lost playing multiplayer. Hell I was playing that on both my junior and senior year prom nights.

2. Counterstrike (original) (1999-2006)- This was an upgrade to me from my arena shooter days - I was intrigued by the teamwork aspect and fell in love with this game. Source and it's derivatives never quite captured the original's charm.

3. World of Warcraft - 2006-2013 (on and off at times). Fun game with a ton of memories, especially in the earlier years. I always would come back hoping to recreate those memories, but it's not going to happen so I'm finally done with the game.

4. Team Fortress 2 - 2007-present - Just a fantastic shooter, I'm at 1000 hours played which isn't a ton compared to some of my contemporaries. Tons of great memories and I still play to this day.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
1. Deus Ex
2. NFS Porsche Unleashed

Really, it's only these 2 that captured the aura of magnificent for me.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
SS First Edition
SS Second Edition
Civilization
Team Fortress 2

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Diablo II and Wing Commander I&II pretty much sum up pc gaming for me.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Civilization 2
Master of Orion
Sim City 2000
Jedi Knight

Last edited:

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
It's fun you ask, because I just considered the fact, that what I played before was allways better. It's like that old dude saying the old times was better, but it it's true really. If you look at this time you do so with your eyes and maybe you are content, but you are so because you compare to something else. I compare to something long ago when you prolly was a kid and I do not like it one bit. It keeps getting worse no kidding.

Well rant of and that would be Pool of Radiance 1. :p

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Air Warrior III
Diablo
System Shock 2

That's all I got.

Maybe Deus Ex.

EDIT: Ooooo, Thief was good too...

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Wolf 3D - Got me into PC gaming
Doom - Got me to buy my own PC instead of using lab computers or playing on someone elses machine. Also got me to go online via BBS to get wads! First exposure to multiplayer via null modem cable!
Quake 2 - Mods, models, real multiplayer: both online and lan parties, and eventually got me to get broadband. Also, saw the benefits in 3D accelerated graphics, which was the start of the annual hardware upgrade cycle.
Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat - This is still pretty much what I look for in multiplayer. Not sure if this should just be BF2, as 1942's WW2 theme seemed played out, but Desert Combat, and then BF2, is what kept me playing Battlefield.

Honorable mention goes to Half Life and Burnout Paradise. HL had great mod support, and I was probably better and spent more time playing CS than any other games. Burnout Paradise justified buying a PS3. Spent 3-4 hours a day, for a year straight, playing nothing but BP.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Oblivion
Every single Total War series game
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
BattleField Bad Compay 2
Dragon Age Origins

I know my list will seem strange to some of you !

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Everquest, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft, not sure on #4. Diablo II?

Gabriel Knight II wasn't the greatest game but had some really neat things, and in particular I was interested in its German locations.

Later I went to Germany and visited Neuschwanstein and tried to find the plaza in Munich, and might have found it. Pretty neat.

Last edited:

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
And yeah...picking 4 just didn't work, sorry :p

Best memories that have lasted...

Early years, on the old compact Macs (9" B/W screen):
Falcon 2.0 <--anyone remember the manual? Was awesome.
Glypha <--fun game, plus Soft Dorothy software startup screen was *ahem* great
Stunt Copter
Prince of Persia <--freaking amazing
SimAnt :p

College, mid-90's:

In the PC Lab we had:
Duke Nukem 3D <--what a blast in a group
Doom
Civ

In the Mac Lab we had:
Doom 2 <--Power Macs with 16" monitors, good speakers. Would turn off the lights (only graphic design classes used it) and blast Alice In Chains, Metallica, White Zombie, etc for hours on end playing DM or co-op.

In the dorms:
Descent <--way ahead of it's time
You Don't Know Jack! <--same as above
SimTower

~2000:
Starcraft/BW <--man, all they needed to do for SC2 for me would have been to increase pop cap and give higher resolutions. Seriously.
Simcity (2000? 3000?) <--could never get 4 working too well, should load it back up and try it again. Insane hours of fun though.

Lately:
COD2 <--I still play it online...fairly small but thriving and active online communities still going. Something to be said for private servers...

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
You inspired me to whip up a picture real quick to answer your question with :)

44JbhwH.png