What is this about Minneapolis "defunding" its PD?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Not sure where to drop this.

"President-elect Joe Biden appeared to blame the "Defund the Police" movement for contributing to surprising Democratic downballot losses in the November election, telling civil rights leaders this week that they should proceed carefully on criminal justice issues."

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not sure where to drop this.

"President-elect Joe Biden appeared to blame the "Defund the Police" movement for contributing to surprising Democratic downballot losses in the November election, telling civil rights leaders this week that they should proceed carefully on criminal justice issues."

Eh I think CARES did more than "defund the police". In a universe where a non-stupid Trump blackmails the Senate GOP (utilizing the RBG seat) into a 2-3T follow on package that puts checks in hands again plus all the other goodies he wins.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Eh I think CARES did more than "defund the police". In a universe where a non-stupid Trump blackmails the Senate GOP (utilizing the RBG seat) into a 2-3T follow on package that puts checks in hands again plus all the other goodies he wins.
I live in Minneapolis, and the "defund the police" in various iterations was hammered over and over. I dont blame it entirely for the down ballot losses, but I think it was an effective vector of attack for the Republicans. The idea itself, more correctly "reform the police" was not bad in itself, but the "defund" label just played right into the hands of the "law and order" Republicans.

Unfortunately, in Minneapolis, we did have a significant portion of the City Council that did in fact push for severe cuts in the police force, despite rising violence. Mayor Frey who was accused of being weak by Trump, strongly resisted this, and I think a budget will be passed that will at least allow us to keep the same number of officers as before.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I said all the way back in July when I started this thread that the entire "defund the police" rhetoric was political malpractice, that it would hurt the dems in November.

I take no pleasure in having been correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawp
Nov 8, 2012
"Reallocating funding to do more effective policing." doesn't make for a good soundbite.

Which is why you should just go with something more along the lines of "More funding for mental health".

You're not dictating where the funding is coming from.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I said all the way back in July when I started this thread that the entire "defund the police" rhetoric was political malpractice, that it would hurt the dems in November.

I take no pleasure in having been correct.
Democrats are shit at coming up with easy-to-remember soundbites, and unfortunately, the jargon used was "grassroots" jargon that the Democrats weren't even in charge of.

Demilitarize is a better sound bite and effectively describes what should be done. But, unlike what Republican fucking morons think, not every liberal grassroots movement is actually a Chinese/Democrat/Soros Operation controlled by the Democrats.

For libtards, defund means allocating funds that would normally go to arming domestic police with fucking tanks, to other agencies that are better trained for handling particular situations. But libtards, used to critical thinking and analysis, couldn't immediately demand that a "better" term than defund be used, even if we knew that of course it would be used by Lying Republicans to claim that Democrats want to ABOLISH the police...because the protests were actual grassroots protests, not a Soros/Chinese/Democrat Op.

And, of course, SleepyJoe™ came out early saying he was against defunding the police, but for the deplorables, that information is FakeNews™ because they only believe what their handlers tell them to believe.

So, while the term "defund" was counterproductive, and in fact the protests themselves were counterproductive by mid-June, you can't totally blame Democrats, because the protests weren't Democratic Party operations, they were actual grassroots protests and didn't give one fuck what us scholarly libtards wanted...which is just how actual grassroots activities work out, for better and for worse.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
"Reallocating funding to do more effective policing." doesn't make for a good soundbite.
There are alternatives though. Some would be "reform", "re-imagine", "remodel". I am not a politician or advertiser, so I am sure a professional could have come up with more alternatives.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Democrats are shit at coming up with easy-to-remember soundbites, and unfortunately, the jargon used was "grassroots" jargon that the Democrats weren't even in charge of.

Demilitarize is a better sound bite and effectively describes what should be done. But, unlike what Republican fucking morons think, not every liberal grassroots movement is actually a Chinese/Democrat/Soros Operation controlled by the Democrats.

For libtards, defund means allocating funds that would normally go to arming domestic police with fucking tanks, to other agencies that are better trained for handling particular situations. But libtards, used to critical thinking and analysis, couldn't immediately demand that a "better" term than defund be used, even if we knew that of course it would be used by Lying Republicans to claim that Democrats want to ABOLISH the police...because the protests were actual grassroots protests, not a Soros/Chinese/Democrat Op.

And, of course, SleepyJoe™ came out early saying he was against defunding the police, but for the deplorables, that information is FakeNews™ because they only believe what their handlers tell them to believe.

So, while the term "defund" was counterproductive, and in fact the protests themselves were counterproductive by mid-June, you can't totally blame Democrats, because the protests weren't Democratic Party operations, they were actual grassroots protests and didn't give one fuck what us scholarly libtards wanted...which is just how actual grassroots activities work out, for better and for worse.

I disagree the problem was entirely "grass roots." It started that way, with some protestors holding up signs with the slogan. But then was taken up by local democratic officials as intended policy. Then a Minneapolis city council member went on CNN and claimed that the notion that we should expect emergency services if someone breaks into our homes is an example of "white privilege." All of that was political malpractice in the extreme.

The rest was republican hyperbole and lies. But those asshats opened the door for it. Based on past and present GOP behavior, they should have known how it would be exploited and the possible damage it would do. You simply do not kotow to angry protestors by taking up ill-conceived slogans as official policy. Not in an election year. Especially not this election year. Everything, and I mean everything, including democracy itself, was on the line this year and these people fucked us.

Last edited:
Reactions: ondma

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

The two sort of go together though. If the protests had remained peaceful, and had a strong leader (as MLK in the 60s) calling for non-violence, the "defund the police" slogan would have probably been less damaging. As it was though, you had scenes of violent protests (some would say rioting) simultaneously occurring with calls to defund the police.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
All easily averted by simply swapping “defund” with “reform”
Is there something bad with holding the police accountable for their interactions with the public, or with reallocating funding for non-police functions (such as mental health calls) to agencies more able to address the problems?
Or did you just not understand that that is what this was always about?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Let see how things are going in the city, shall we?

Homicides in Minneapolis are up 50 percent, with nearly 75 people killed across the city so far this year. More than 500 people have been shot, the highest number in more than a decade and twice as many as in 2019. And there have been more than 4,600 violent crimes — including hundreds of carjackings and robberies — a five-year high

Minneapolis violence surges after George Floyd's death as police officers leave the department in droves - The Washington Post

Who are those victims of violent crimes (majority are blacks) going to call? Ghost Busters? Social workers?

Last edited:
Reactions: ondma

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Let see how things are going in the city, shall we?

Minneapolis violence surges after George Floyd's death as police officers leave the department in droves - The Washington Post

Who are those victims of violent crimes (majority are blacks) going to call? Ghost Busters? Social workers?

Looks like, based on your quotes, the numbers have been that high in the past. Since this year yielded much more financial and mental distress, and let's not forget RW agitators, it doesn't seem far out there. And, although it doesn't fit your strawman, the police force haven't been reformed yet.

In others words, you replied like an idiot would.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Dictionary definitions are hawwd for Democrats, yo.

You're replying to a poster who has redefined words on a whim enough times it's important for him to tell you what words mean because standard dictionary definitions don't apply. But congrats on being an imbecile.

Reactions: Meghan54

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Is there something bad with holding the police accountable for their interactions with the public, or with reallocating funding for non-police functions (such as mental health calls) to agencies more able to address the problems?
Or did you just not understand that that is what this was always about?
I understand that the solution to preventing police shootings is to not send militarized police into situations that require a more nuanced response.

I also understand that when you permit the irrational fringe to drive the narrative through action and words, you lose control of it. We’ve already established that BLM is a leaderless movement. People calling to defund the police against the backdrop of rioting and looting fall into the “you are not helping” category.