What is the biggest POS you've ever purchased?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I bought a VLB video card back when they were hot for those 4 days.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Radeon 7500 "Powered by ATI" built by Sapphire. I want to smash it into little tiny pieces. :|

BigJohnKC- I really like my Strategic Commander. It's awesome for Dungeon Siege! Although, I did only pay $15 for it. :) Retail at $50 is way too much.

amish

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
My '95 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. Getting ready to go on my third transmission under 85K miles. God it is such a POS. Never will I own another Dodge truck unless it is manual transmission. I don't even tow anything. I just use the truck to go back and forth to work. Dodge just makes trashy transmissions.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Codewiz
My '95 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. Getting ready to go on my third transmission under 85K miles. God it is such a POS. Never will I own another Dodge truck unless it is manual transmission. I don't even tow anything. I just use the truck to go back and forth to work. Dodge just makes trashy transmissions.
With as much as I hash on their tranny's you don't know how funny that is to hear. ;) Sorry to hear about your trouble though :(

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
three things:
1) 1978 Honda CX500. I knew it had recall issues, but i still took the chance and purchased it. Not too long after i was riding it, it was plagued with one of the recall problems (cam chain tensioner...) and not too long after that, the engine seized up and now it's just sitting in my garage waiting to be parted out.

2) 1985 jaguar xj6. I've seen monkey's do a better electrical job of wiring before (ok, not really :p), but this is probably one of the worst investments of my life.

3) Packard Bell Force 872 CDT. It was a pi]blazing fast[/i] 100 mhz computer with 16/32 mb of ram and a huge 1.something gb hard drive. I paid close to $2200 for it on clearance @ CompUSA (one of the reasons i don't shop there anymore) and terribly regret it.

-=bmacd=-

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Blowing $300 on a palm hahaha :)
Ditto to that. Its novelty wore off in about a month and I realized I don't need to carry around a damn computer everywhere I go. Luckily I recouped a good portion of the $$$ on FS/FT.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: Codewiz
With as much as I hash on their tranny's you don't know how funny that is to hear. ;) Sorry to hear about your trouble though :(

Well what really pissed me off was that I bought an extended warranty since I bought it used in '97 with 25K miles. I spent the money to have a warranty until 75K miles. At 73.5K the tranny died on the interstate. It up shifted and went BAM. No power. Would not go into any gear so I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic. Anyways, Dodge did not want to honor the warranty. I had to threaten a lawyer to get them to honor it. Of course I am sure they just put in the biggest POS they could find. That is why it is starting to die again. It shows the same symptoms as before. Hard shifts when going from park to drive. I now use the emergency brake before I put it in park so that the parking gear has no stress put on it. Now that I am out of warranty, I am SOL when it dies the next time. I am out of a job at the moment trying to find a job. I have zero money. If it dies, I don't know what I will do.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperCyrix
I got to go with this gaming pad I bought a few years back. The POS require you to hook up the
controller both to the PS/2 mouse port and the gaming port and it still doesn't work right.

My first computer.

packard bell.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
My SegaCD. This was back when it first came out in the early 90s, and I actually saved up the $300 for it while I was a kid in high school. Man... I should've used the money for a SuperNES instead, but I was a Sega Genesis fan boy and thought the SegaCD would be _the_ SNES killer (hardware scaling and rotation!!). Although there were some good games for it (Lunar: The Silver Star), most of the games were crappy FMV "interactive" movies or Genesis ports with added CD music and new features (Ecco the Dolphin, Batman). Whatta waste of money... at least I didn't get suckered into buying the 32x *snicker*

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
compaq lappy from radioshack that has shared video memory and crashes when it gets too hot playin warcraft...to top it off the modem cord got stuck in it and it took forever to get out

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
easy

1. a Ford Tanus its a ford model sold in Germany. the day before my wife was to arrive in German the &%*$## clutch went out on it. So i was in the base auto hobby shop with it up on a lift replacing it. Then it was one problem after another just a huge money pit and being a E-2 and poor i went into major debt because of that car.

2. Got tired of pouring money into that car so when I made E-4 bought a brand new 1990 ponitac grand-am. Good car for about a year then something went wrong with the engine. The shop i had to take it for the warranty work even had a NEW engine shipped to Germany from Detroit. After the new engine was installed, it was good for about 2 days and the problem started again. basically an internal back fire that nobody could figure out. It would happen when ever the engine was under stress like passing a car or going up hill. it would back fire like a machine gun POP POP POP POP POP and have now power at all. GM bought the car back under the Lemon Law the AAFES new car sales had.

That's what you get for buying detroit twice. ;)

My parent bought a Dodge Aries (k-car) in the 80's that was the biggest pile I've even seen. It rattled like crazy, was sooooo slow, and died completely at 75K.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
Mitsumi CD-RW (2x Write 4x Read) - Got it from a friend after he crushed it a little :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
A brand new Fiat X1/9 . . . (back in the day) it would be my "worst car ever" (it was literally coming apart at 30K) EXCEPT for the fact I sold it to a Fiat dealership 2 years after I originally bought it and made over $2000 (the car got very popular and their purchase price doubled in 2 years). Fix It Again Tony.

The junk '87 Volkswagan Jetta I bought in Hawaii this Winter that only lasted a month . . . that was a real piece and waste of money - if fact, it waited until I registed the car to fall apart the next day. :(

MrHappyMonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
compaq lappy from radioshack that has shared video memory and crashes when it gets too hot playin warcraft...to top it off the modem cord got stuck in it and it took forever to get out

yea, i'd have to agree with you on that one. Mine is sooooo damn hot. I even returned it to RadioCrack for a new one (it wasn't new. it was a display unit with a dead pixel :|). I'm thiking of eBaying it and getting a Dell.

No more Compaqs!

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A Compaq.:| Upside was it motivated me to learn how to build my own and have been building my own and for others ever since.:D

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Biggiest piece of $H!T I have ever bought was a $299 Sony PS2. I had to take it back a few times because of defects. I guess the Wally World got some bad batches or something. I bought one new tray made some weird noises the next day so I took it back. Second one worked great for over a month but for some reason some games was pausing ever 10-15 mins and when a games was loading the laser made some loud noises. People on here said the laser was out/going out of alignment so I took it back. The third one worked perfect except when I went to turn the thing on for the first time the power switch in the back caved in a hair which I know wasnt normal. After that I told them to give a refund as I thought it was a overpriced hunk of junk. My bro inlaw bought a $200 Sony DVD player and a $350 Sony Receiver they both died. Receiver went out about 3 months of use then the DVD player went out a month after that.

I think I will stay clear of Sony products or a long while if I can.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
A Creative Labs 2x DVD drive and Decoder card. I spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone with creative tech support to finaly get the damn decoder card working. And when i did finanly get it working the video quality was soo freakin horrible i couldnt stand watching more than one movie on it before i yanked it from my machine. Worst 100 bucks i ever blew.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Gateway G6-266 with 32MB RAM and a 5GB HDD :| It was removed from their line 2 weeks after I bought it in '98 and I couldn't do a damn thing as I was away in a project in Atlanta :( I rebuilt my current rig around it until I finally replaced the case last of all a couple of months back. The very last remainder from this $1800 (including shipping) POS is the 200W PSU powering my rig in the RMAed absence of my PP303X :D

I also bought an $85 Perfection 610 scanner a couple of years back that I've used for all of 4 times maybe :eek:

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I almost bought this POS, but my mom made me cancel my bid :(. Is she didn't it would be my $57 POS. Other POS I have purchased are stupid things from amazon just because it was cheap(like some cr@ppy bendable funnel).