what is the best item you acquired from the wreckage of your parents divorce?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
i got a copper bottomed pot, its the best pot i own.
iirc it was part of a wedding gift for my parents back in '72

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I was too young to drive but my dad left us with a 1969 Sport Satellite 383.

Nov 8, 2012
I also don't know what this "divorce" is that you speak of. I believe my parents were this thing called "responsible adults"

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I learned how to take care of myself and be a responsible adult in spite of my fathers bad example.

Reactions: Muse

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I never have to talk to or see my father again. I consider that a plus. I hope his death is agonizing and lonely.

Reactions: BudAshes

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Wedding rings. My ring was my fathers just resized a bit and we took the diamonds from my mothers ring to create my wife's ring.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No divorce. My family's had around zero divorces, I say "around" because a 2nd cousin's mom was, I think, divorced, but I never knew her when that happened, it was before my time. I've heard of a couple super brief infidelities, but no divorces.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wedding rings. My ring was my fathers just resized a bit and we took the diamonds from my mothers ring to create my wife's ring.
I've never even seen my folk's jewelry. Their will bequeathed all that to my sister.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I never have to talk to or see my father again. I consider that a plus. I hope his death is agonizing and lonely.
Don't waste your peace of mind wishing anything like that on anyone. Maybe you should seek help.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't waste your peace of mind wishing anything like that on anyone. Maybe you should seek help.
I am not going to hire an assassin. He is miserable and near death already.

edit: Sorry, I know i'm bein a jerk to you ... not fair to you
He abused my mom for years, she has PTSD and every other possible mental issue survivors have.

I've been through psychologists and all that in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. I indeed have some issues, but my wife helps me cope with things, and I talk to my brother, uncles, aunts, mom, grandma, and friends to get through things. I am generally content in life.

This hatred is permanent & infinite.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJFrylar

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
the older copper bottom pots are amazing quality
We had copper bottom pots in the house, several types and sizes from fry pans to sauce pans... Revereware. I didn't inherit any of that but have acquired a couple sauce pans exactly like my mom's. She was kind of obsessed with cleaning the copper bottoms, don't know how she did it. I found a method that makes it easy, IIRC you dissolve some salt in vinegar + water, heat it up and get the copper submerged in it for a few minutes. Brightens them right up. I then hit them with extremely fine wet-dry sandpaper. Mostly, I don't bother, though, it's a PITA to try keeping them looking new. I use them daily.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I am not going to hire an assassin. He is miserable and near death already.

edit: Sorry, I know i'm bein a jerk to you ... not fair to you
He abused my mom for years, she has PTSD and every other possible mental issue survivors have.

I've been through psychologists and all that in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. I indeed have some issues, but my wife helps me cope with things, and I talk to my brother, uncles, aunts, mom, grandma, and friends to get through things. I am generally content in life.

This hatred is permanent & infinite.
At least you have your values by virtue of all this. You know what abuse is and what it can do. Congrats on surviving it, and working on the aftermath, working it through with your relatives' help.

Reactions: PJFrylar

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I've never even seen my folk's jewelry. Their will bequeathed all that to my sister.

My sister got the anniversary ring, where my father added a diamond every year to my mothers engagement ring for 18 years. I am happy with what I got, nice for 1970's sized diamonds were WAY out of my price range in the 2000's.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Not sure about the best,but the worst was a shitty stepdad.Unhappy days.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

My fathers death was exactly that.

The only thing I got out of their divorce was an alcoholic step-dad a couple years later. He tried to kill himself 1.5 years into their marriage and my mom divorced him.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
No divorce. My family's had around zero divorces, I say "around" because a 2nd cousin's mom was, I think, divorced, but I never knew her when that happened, it was before my time. I've heard of a couple super brief infidelities, but no divorces.
Same with mine. No divorced that I can think of on either side. Not a massive family, so the N is relatively small, but can't think of a single divorce. Actually wait.. Maybe one as I type this, my great aunt was married once before I was born, but I can't remember if that was death or divorce.

Nov 8, 2012
Jeebus fuck - a lot of people here apparently had deadbeat fathers. Who knew it was that many? I'm counting a total of 8 thus far in this thread?

I was actually listening to a podcast the other day where someone was talking about this as a big issue that no one wants to address. Specifically with whole "women's empowerment" movement, everyone is scared to say how important dads are because of the "I don't need no man I can do this!" that women are now preaching.

He was bringing out statistics (no idea what his research was from) that showed for example 90% of people in prison didn't have a dad - also high correlation with suicide.

EDIT: Here are some more quick stats: https://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/

Reactions: Muse