What Has Happened To GPU Pricing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Market showed they don't care for other bands. Even better and cheaper cards from competition are not a reason to change brands. If AMD can force a pricecut on nvidia products, then people will get nvidia cards cheaper. Plenty of examples in recent 5+ years.

People bought $1000 GPUs in doves. They form a long lines to pay $700 for a throttling GPU that should be $500 tops. It would be $300 a couple years back.

There is a huge demand for expensive nvidia GPUs, and performance has nothing to do with it. Demand is high - price is high - margins are high.

Your tears of jealousy are delicious...:biggrin:

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Why do people get so hostile when a group or someone can afford something and buy it?

It's so ridiculous to constantly see things such as "sheep" and "morons" tossed around.

I remember when someone would post their rig and it had quad-whatever, it was always "nice rig man, wish I had that kind of money!" Now it be "look at that moron spending/throwing his money away!"

Woof.
when it comes to the FE edition, I tend to agree with the moron bit. FE =/= 2 or more cards.

Feb 19, 2009
What has happened is that the GPU is the most important thing in a gaming setup, and while other components have fallen in price, such as RAM, SSD, HDD etc, the total cost to build a gaming rig has remained around the same. Thus, there's more room there for more expensive GPUs.

Ultimately, they are priced at what the market deems appropriate. If it's more expensive, it's only because consumers are willing to pay for it.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
Why do people get so hostile when a group or someone can afford something and buy it?

It's so ridiculous to constantly see things such as "sheep" and "morons" tossed around.

I remember when someone would post their rig and it had quad-whatever, it was always "nice rig man, wish I had that kind of money!" Now it be "look at that moron spending/throwing his money away!"

Woof.

Nothing hostile about calling someone a sheep
Woof!!

I can afford a $1000 card but refuse to pay it because I have no need for a $1000 card but the companies are advancing their pricing strategy because they know the sheep will pay it.

And the whole FE card is just a strategy to take $100 more of your money period, that's it!

Feb 19, 2009
And the whole FE card is just a strategy to take $100 more of your money period, that's it!

That's not it!

You're paying for "premium craftsmanship", "65C, cool as a cucumber.." and a "crazy good overclocking" reference design.

As long as gamers are happy to pay extra for those "features", NV will be very happy to charge extra for their reference design. Can you blame them? Who hates making more $$?!

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
Personal attacks have no place in a discussion.

...But saying 'why would anyone buy [X] this is nuts' isn't a personal attack. To be honest? I think the Founder's Edition is nuts. It's what would've otherwise been a reference card with a $100/$70/$50 premium on it. The cooler leaves lots of them throttling at stock, and the 'premium' board even has an empty spot for a mosfet they decided to skimp on to save some pennies. AIB custom versions will run cooler and probably clock higher. If it was a reference board no one would care, but they're not.

Frankly, the only reasons I can see to get one are 1) you need the card immediately, can't find an AIB version and consider the price premium worth less wait or 2) you're loaded to the point you wipe with $20 bills.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
You're paying for "premium craftsmanship", "65C, cool as a cucumber.." and a "crazy good overclocking" reference design.

So you're saying the FE edition will be $100 dollars better then the AIB cards? Will the AIB cards not run at 65C cool as a cucumber?
Will the AIB cards not overclock as well?

Anything is possible but I find it hard to believe.

Last edited:

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
So you're saying the FE edition will be $100 dollars better then the AIB cards? Will the AIB cards not run at 65C cool as a cucumber?
Will the AIB cards not overclock as well?

Anything is possible but I find it hard to believe.
that was sarcasm bro :D

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
i don't fully understand how a reference card has changed from reference to "founders edition".

what a joke.

fools edition more like

hell there was a time when reference cards were the ones to stay away from unless water cooling.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
It seems to me that the $199 480 was a marketing stunt, at best a limited edition product masquerading as a new value shift. To me it is the same sort of bait and switch that Nvidia did when they gave us a fake MSRP vs FE edition.

The odd thing is that the 4gb barely performs worse than the 8gb. It would be to AMD's benefit for 480 4gb cards to actually exist in the wild. I read, however, that AMD had trouble sourcing the memory chips for the 4gb version.

Does AMD actually make a lot more money on the 8gb version compared to a 4gb version? (I guess it's "yes" if they are actually the same card with disabled memory on one). But if they could actually source memory chips for a 4gb version and it made them the same money, they might as well shovel as many of those out the door as possible.

EDIT: I think of it more as the WTFE than the FE edition. But people who will spend $50 more on a FE card will spend $150-300 more on a Gsync monitor vs. a Freesync monitor that does basically the same thing.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
i don't fully understand how a reference card has changed from reference to "founders edition".
Classic marketing move give something undesirable a nice name and it evolves into not seeming bad at all or even desirable. It works so props to Nvidia for exploiting.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Everyone knows that FE stands for "Ferrari Edition", i.e. your well spent $100 goes toward's JHH's new Ferrari.

Aug 11, 2008

Woof.

Well, all you have to do is look at the post history of most of those posters and it is pretty clear thay are to put it mildly ardent supporters of the "bargain brand" company. Sour grapes is the term that comes to mind.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Everything about Nvidia is car inspired. GeForce.. GT-X.. JHH the CEO is a huge car nut, fake MSRP was just the last thing to copy from the auto industry.

Aug 11, 2008
Everything about Nvidia is car inspired. GeForce.. GT-X.. JHH the CEO is a huge car nut, fake MSRP was just the last thing to copy from the auto industry.

Yea, except cars sell at a discount from list, while 1070 and 1080 are selling above list.

Taylor18

Mar 21, 2015

Woof.

LOL.... It's not personal and it has nothing to do with being able to afford something. If nvidia raised the early adopter's tax to $1000 or more, a lot of us can still easily afford it.

I'm not giving nvidia or amd extra money for an imaginary "premium craftsmanship", "65C, cool as a cucumber.." and a "crazy good overclocking" reference design

Considering the stock availability, nvidia should jack up the tax.
Woof Woof

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
A couple of years ago, I paid something like GBP 220 for an Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb. That has a 484mm² die - much bigger than GP104. It was the same die used for the highest end card at the time, the 8800 Ultra.

Today, the cheapest 1080 I can find costs GBP 600, and it isn't even using the biggest Nvidia die of this generation. It's actually the mid range die.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
From founder's editions to fake MSRPs, along with price hikes compared to 980 and the low Canadian dollar, I think I'm just gonna sit this generation of cards out.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Yea, except cars sell at a discount from list, while 1070 and 1080 are selling above list.

less popular or overstocked cars sell at a discount to msrp. Hot cars have dealer markup. Substitute GPU for cars and you have the exact same marketing strategies being employed. Even the "founders" edition BS is the same as a BMW M3 frozen gray. Higher price for a worse item but people bought into the hype.

I personally don't mind the current GPU pricing structure. We continue to get more performance for less money. The 1080/1070 release has created some excellent prices for 980's. I just pulled the trigger on a brand new top end 980ti for under $400.- No rebates, it's in stock ready to ship, and is similar performance to top end 1070's that are selling for at least $50.- more. Now that's good value right there.

Aug 11, 2008
less popular or overstocked cars sell at a discount to msrp. Hot cars have dealer markup. Substitute GPU for cars and you have the exact same marketing strategies being employed. Even the "founders" edition BS is the same as a BMW M3 frozen gray. Higher price for a worse item but people bought into the hype.

I personally don't mind the current GPU pricing structure. We continue to get more performance for less money. The 1080/1070 release has created some excellent prices for 980's. I just pulled the trigger on a brand new top end 980ti for under $400.- No rebates, it's in stock ready to ship, and is similar performance to top end 1070's that are selling for at least $50.- more. Now that's good value right there.

What I objected to was calling nVidia's MSRP "fake". By definition, the MSRP is the MSRP. A product can sell above or below it, but MSRP still "is what it is."

I previously avoided these forums because of the general tone, but came back to try to find some useful information about the performance of the new generation of cards. I am no fan of either camp, and in fact have an AMD card, but there really should be no place for all the venom and abusive language directed mainly toward nVidia and (especially) toward the people who purchase their products.