What Happened In Yosemite?

Nov 17, 2019
Mystery surrounds death of California family hiking Yosemite

www.msn.com.ico
KNX 1070 News Radio Los Angeles on MSN.com|20 hours ago
The bodies of Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their one-year-old daughter, Miju and a family dog were found Tuesday. The family reportedly left home for a hike on Sunday near an isolated patch of Yosemite National Park.

Missing Northern California family of 3 found dead near remote Yosemite hiking area

www.mercurynews.com.ico
Mercury News|2 days ago
A Northern California family of three that had been reported missing was found dead Tuesday along with the family's dog on a hiking trail in a remote area of the Sierra National Forest.

----------

Speculation has been about gasses form a mine and an algae bloom in water.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I wonder if that means they think there might be a fire in that mine? Since those are impossible to put out, sounds like the trail might need to just be closed if that's the case.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Latest news is that the initial autopsy failed to reveal cause of death for any of them. Which is really odd.

Leading suggestions seems to be toxic algae and carbon monoxide from mines. I tend to favor the carbon monoxide theory, as CO causes death by asphyxia, which can be difficult to determine in an autopsy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Leeea

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sounds like CO.
Something like that happened in the Mammoth lake area, about a decade ago. Had a thing on Nat Geo or Discovery about it. Whole area of trees dead and the guy doing the video had a monitor that said it was bad, and he started to feel woozy and got out of there.
Mammoth is just on the other side of the mountain from Yosemite.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
CO is lighter than air and CO2 heavier. You would have to be in an inclosed space to be be CO poisoned or inclosed or at the bottom of a depression to be poisoned byCO2 seems to me. Don’t know where the bodies were found but if out in the open either gas doesn’t make sense to me. What in Yosemite would be a killing source of either that could get you while hiking.

Nov 17, 2019
There's the algae thing, but wouldn't that mean they all had to consume water from the same source at more or less the same time? Or can algae put out a gas?

Nov 17, 2019
I'm kind of wondering if they've ruled out heat, though that would also seem odd to take them all down so close to the same time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We like to think the world is safe, but it is most certainly not.

It is a shame they ended up dying, and it'll be worse if we cannot determine why. Knowledge can help us boost protection and avoidance to future hikers.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Something like that happened in the Mammoth lake area, about a decade ago. Had a thing on Nat Geo or Discovery about it. Whole area of trees dead and the guy doing the video had a monitor that said it was bad, and he started to feel woozy and got out of there.
Mammoth is just on the other side of the mountain from Yosemite.
Seeing the following posts. He was detecting CO2.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
No I was thinking of carbon monoxide since their pet died too and fast.
OK, you proved you didn't read the fucking link I included, or have the basic understanding ALL FUCKING MAMMALS require oxygen to survive. 3500 livestock were also killed.

Thanks for playing...

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi
Nov 17, 2019
The Lake Nyos thing was an oddity, but not exclusive. It's happened before and since and there is a monitoring effort to watch for it again.

I'm not sure there's a large enough lake near this event to overturn like that and expel a large amount of gas. And if it did, they'd be finding other animals.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm kind of wondering if they've ruled out heat, though that would also seem odd to take them all down so close to the same time.
Put an entire fucking zoo in a confined space, and throw in a bunch of humans for good measure. Remove all the oxygen by replacing it with CO2, or nitrogen, or argon, or helium, and watch every fucking mammal in the room die, and quickly.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Put an entire fucking zoo in a confined space, and throw in a bunch of humans for good measure. Remove all the oxygen by replacing it with CO2, or nitrogen, or argon, or helium, and watch every fucking mammal in the room die, and quickly.
I love it when people say CO2 is non harmful. Yea, try breathing pure Argon. It's noble, doesn't react to hardly anything, it's not toxic. If you crowd out oxygen, it just doesn't matter. My years in the shipyard, probably in my 39 years, there were several suffocation deaths due to argon in tanks.