What first world problem did you have today?

Page 845 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My 3 year old Whirlpool fridge started freezing stuff in the refrigerated section. I had to drink tap water straight since my Brita was all frozen and no milk with my tea since that was frozen too.

Did all the common troubleshooting steps then figured out something broke. Had to do googling and watch YouTube videos and make a reddit post but I now have a $10 Thermistor part ordered and a YouTube video bookmarked so I'll try fixing this shit myself instead of paying some repair service like $200 or whatever it is. If it's not that part, then I gotta try another.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My 3 year old Whirlpool fridge started freezing stuff in the refrigerated section. I had to drink tap water straight since my Brita was all frozen and no milk with my tea since that was frozen too.

Did all the common troubleshooting steps then figured out something broke. Had to do googling and watch YouTube videos and make a reddit post but I now have a $10 Thermistor part ordered and a YouTube video bookmarked so I'll try fixing this shit myself instead of paying some repair service like $200 or whatever it is. If it's not that part, then I gotta try another.
No. You should buy a new fridge and use current one as standup freezer.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The tax software I just bought doesn't support Windows 7 and my W10 dual boot drive on my new laptop doesn't appear to work.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Having "streaming errors" with my Ring Doorbell Pro."

Tried the usual stuff...rebooted router and modem...didn't help

Currently in tech support hell...turns ou
t to be some kind of "system update" on their end. Took 15 minutes with a hevily accented "ESL speaker" to get that info.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Bought a wireless access point that can act in "client mode" for my parents as they upgraded their internet from DSL to Cable so the location of the modem had to change, but could not for the life of me get it to work the way I wanted. It seemed to only want to act as an AP. Was hoping I could set it up as a client so I can plug the computer in it and have the computer access the wifi that way. There is no coax where the computer is so I could not put the modem there. My parent's house is drywalled everywhere even basement, so no way to run wires.

Going to have to deal with returning that, and try to order something else. They don't seem to make wifi cards much anymore, there's really not much selection when I search and most of them are fixed antennas which would not work that great in the basement. Need something where I can put the antenna on the desk.

Might try a USB based one, but I'm worried that might not work in XP as it will probably require drivers. Upgrading that computer is on the agenda but they wait to wait until they have more money first.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
My assistant had a cardiac event the day before Christmas eve. I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and no one was there. I had a huge backlog. He was gone another week after I got back and was supposed to be back for 2 weeks and was then going to have a stent put in. He was back for 6 days and had to leave again and it changed to a bypass. Now I'm looking at 4 weeks until he gets back, with possible restrictions.

It looks like I'm going to be pulling 6 and 7 day weeks for the next several weeks and I really do not want to.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I ordered something on Monday. Their standard $4 shipping option said I would receive the item in 6-9 days, and if I paid $22 in shipping, I should get it on February 12th (since the item was in stock).

I decided to go with the faster shipping option this time, but they still haven't even shipped it, so I know it isn't likely coming this week at all. I've ordered from them several times before, and their delivery estimates were usually pretty spot on, but I'm now wondering if their inventory was wrong or something. I guess if it doesn't ship tomorrow, I will likely try to contact them and just have them send the item at the slower $4 method.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I ordered something on Monday. Their standard $4 shipping option said I would receive the item in 6-9 days, and if I paid $22 in shipping, I should get it on February 12th (since the item was in stock).

I decided to go with the faster shipping option this time, but they still haven't even shipped it, so I know it isn't likely coming this week at all. I've ordered from them several times before, and their delivery estimates were usually pretty spot on, but I'm now wondering if their inventory was wrong or something. I guess if it doesn't ship tomorrow, I will likely try to contact them and just have them send the item at the slower $4 method.
I did something similar last week. I ordered something with Prime shipping. They said it will be here in 3 days. The following day it said delivery on Feb 18. WTF

Shipping is messed up in BC. It finally arrived in Kitchener, Ontario today. So how long until it gets here is anyone's guess.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My assistant had a cardiac event the day before Christmas eve. I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and no one was there. I had a huge backlog. He was gone another week after I got back and was supposed to be back for 2 weeks and was then going to have a stent put in. He was back for 6 days and had to leave again and it changed to a bypass. Now I'm looking at 4 weeks until he gets back, with possible restrictions.

It looks like I'm going to be pulling 6 and 7 day weeks for the next several weeks and I really do not want to.
is he old?
or does he just live unhealthily?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
is he old?
or does he just live unhealthily?

60. No one really believed he was 59 when he started with me though...

I had a guy take me aside once after finding out the guy was 59. He was like " FUCK YOU John. I'm not looking like that in 3 years.."

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
in early 2000s we had an exercise bike, the battleaxe complained that it was uncomfortable so I replaced it with an elliptical/stepper. That gathered dust til I gave it away, then she grabbed an even bigger elliptical that was collecting dust at her sister's place. It also collected dust, until the twins are old enough to play with it. Today she had me order another exercise bike, and it has to be magnetic cuz it's quiet.

I said every single exercise machine she has owned were all quiet since they did not get used.

It sounded better in my head.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
in early 2000s we had an exercise bike, the batteraxe complained that it was uncomfortable so I replaced it with an elliptical/stepper. That gathered dust til I gave it away, then she grabbed an even bigger elliptical that was collecting dust at her sister's place. It also collected dust, until the twins are old enough to play with it. Today she had me order another exercise bike, and it has to be magnetic cuz it's quiet.

I said every single exercise machine she has owned were all quiet since they did not get used.

Those Kaisers are pretty damned nice.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
in early 2000s we had an exercise bike, the battleaxe complained that it was uncomfortable so I replaced it with an elliptical/stepper. That gathered dust til I gave it away, then she grabbed an even bigger elliptical that was collecting dust at her sister's place. It also collected dust, until the twins are old enough to play with it. Today she had me order another exercise bike, and it has to be magnetic cuz it's quiet.

Just tell her sure, you'll buy the exercise bike. Maybe now she'll finally lose some weight.

And then after you get divorced, you'll never have to buy exercise equipment ever again! Problem solved!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just tell her sure, you'll buy the exercise bike. Maybe now she'll finally lose some weight.

And then after you get divorced, you'll never have to buy exercise equipment ever again! Problem solved!

the lose weight comment never worked...My favourite is still "So that 10 lbs you needed to lose a decade ago is how many now?"

• Haha
Reactions: snoopy7548

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Early Valentines. Kroger flowers for the wife and Ma....$129.00. $60 gift certificate for a massage for the wife and another for the sister wife. The wife is supposed to give me that 2nd $60 back....yeah. $100 for dinner tonight.

Happy wife....

pic shortly.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Nothing quite as romantic as flowers in a plastic tea pitcher. We didn't have a vase big enough. FWP.

Attachments

• 0211210951.jpg
    0211210951.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 7

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wanted to get up early but ended up getting up past noon. I was just crazy tired and could not physically get out of bed for some reason. Took everything to do it.

Coffee brewing now, everything will be better. :p

And then 2nd FWP is I have a friend that's always pushy about wanting to go out snowshowing, always asking when my next day off is. Like, I have a life outside of that too you know. It's like -30 out and he still wants to go.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I wanted to get up early but ended up getting up past noon. I was just crazy tired and could not physically get out of bed for some reason. Took everything to do it.

Coffee brewing now, everything will be better. :p

And then 2nd FWP is I have a friend that's always pushy about wanting to go out snowshowing, always asking when my next day off is. Like, I have a life outside of that too you know. It's like -30 out and he still wants to go.

ATOT isn't a life, dude! :p

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Item still didn't ship, so I tried contacting them at their email address, but no response. I think it's pretty safe to assume the item isn't arriving tomorrow. :p

I just asked since it hasn't shipped yet (so it's not coming this week), if I could just switch over to the slower $4 flat shipping option. It's a shame as I've used them plenty of times before, but not shipping the item out (or sending me an email letting me know if there was some kind of issue) is pretty disappointing. I think they are a smaller family owned business, and with as crazy as the last 14 months have been I could understand short staffing / illnesses, but when a company just doesn't ship an order and stays silent to what's going on with it, that's pretty disappointing.