What first world problem did you have today?

Page 844 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Trying to buy computer stuff in Canada is so frustrating now that we don't have Tigerdirect and NCIX anymore. We only really have like 2 smaller sites to order from (Canada Computers and Memory Express), and half the items are either out of stock or "unavailable online". WTF is the point of operating an online store if you can't order half the stuff on it? They only tell you this at checkout too. It's not a pandemic thing either, it's been this way even before.

Trying to buy a wireless bridge or a wireless card (whatever I can find) for my parents as they switched to cable and there is no coax where the computer is so I need to make the computer wireless. And pickings are slim as hell and out of the ones I did find none are available.

I often consider just starting a business and getting a vendor's permit so I can order directly from wholesale suppliers. Probably make a script to scrape the inventory and then start my own retail site too. I would not have time to run something like that at any serious scale or money to keep inventory but could be a way to make a bit of money on the side as I can't be the only one frustrated at lack of options here.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I often consider just starting a business and getting a vendor's permit so I can order directly from wholesale suppliers. Probably make a script to scrape the inventory and then start my own retail site too. I would not have time to run something like that at any serious scale or money to keep inventory but could be a way to make a bit of money on the side as I can't be the only one frustrated at lack of options here.
Would you ship to the US? :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Trying to buy computer stuff in Canada is so frustrating now that we don't have Tigerdirect and NCIX anymore. We only really have like 2 smaller sites to order from (Canada Computers and Memory Express), and half the items are either out of stock or "unavailable online". WTF is the point of operating an online store if you can't order half the stuff on it? They only tell you this at checkout too. It's not a pandemic thing either, it's been this way even before.

Trying to buy a wireless bridge or a wireless card (whatever I can find) for my parents as they switched to cable and there is no coax where the computer is so I need to make the computer wireless. And pickings are slim as hell and out of the ones I did find none are available.

Newegg.ca and amazon.ca arw also available.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Would you ship to the US? :p

Too much trouble with the thousands of sales tax jurisdictions in the states, it would be a nightmare to manage all that. I'd probably do Ontario only TBH. I think even with HST you need to register for each province and not all provinces have the same percentage/rules so it can still get complicated. I'd mostly just do this for myself so I can more easily get access to stuff, and help others at the same time. Would not expect to make much money off it by the time I start accounting for shipping materials etc. Domestic shipping is also really expensive here compared to buying from China so probably why there's not lot of local online stores for anything in general here. When I was trying to buy solar panels here it was near impossible to find a place to actually buy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Look at them stinking rich folks with their problems. Remember that tall building in SF?

The Downside to Life in a Supertall Tower: Leaks, Creaks, Breaks (msn.com)

Edit: The sinking tall building (tallest residential building) in SF finally has a fix for about $100 million USD. Will it work? Stay tuned.

.After sinking 18 inches, SF's Millennium Tower finally has a fix (sfgate.com)
idiocracy25.jpg

Reactions: snoopy7548

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Isin't newegg.ca just a marketplace site now? Same with Amazon. I tend to use those as very last resort as you don't really know what you're getting.
Err you understand you can filter to only show amazon or newegg proper as seller right?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Err you understand you can filter to only show amazon or newegg proper as seller right?

That greatly limits choices though. I ended up finding something on Canada Computers, I just looked at Wireless access points instead of searching for bridge, as lot of APs have a bridge mode and I found one that does. This will be more versatile than getting a PCIe wifi card and performance might be better as I can set it on the desk. All the PCIe cards I could find that would actually ship only had antennas on the back and no way to have it on the desk. The one I originally ordered from staples did but it got discontinued so they cancelled the order. Stuff like that pisses me off though. Why even list it on the site if you won't sell it?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
We are finally about to start looking to move. Yesterday they pulled fiber though my backyard ~40' from my house. Now I'm torn, move or have fiber...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Got a really strange message on my answering machine. After debating it, and working out the number they left in the message - that they asked me to urgently call back on - wasn't a premium one, called it back to see what it was about. Person on the other end didn't know what I was talking about and clearly suspected _me_ of being a scammer.

Afterwards I realised my answering machine is malfunctioning and this was actually an old message (that I could swear I'd deleted already, but my useless machine seems not to delete messages when asked, as well as not date-stamping any of them other than, uselessly, with the day-of-the-week), and I'd called them before about it, ages ago, and they'd apologised that it was a wrong number and the message was intended for someone else. This time they clearly didn't remember we'd already gone through this and didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Got a really strange message on my answering machine. After debating it, and working out the number they left in the message - that they asked me to urgently call back on - wasn't a premium one, called it back to see what it was about. Person on the other end didn't know what I was talking about and clearly suspected _me_ of being a scammer.

Afterwards I realised my answering machine is malfunctioning and this was actually an old message (that I could swear I'd deleted already, but my useless machine seems not to delete messages when asked, as well as not date-stamping any of them other than, uselessly, with the day-of-the-week), and I'd called them before about it, ages ago, and they'd apologised that it was a wrong number and the message was intended for someone else. This time they clearly didn't remember we'd already gone through this and didn't know what the heck I was talking about.
Answering Machines are from last century, thus not a FWP.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Answering Machines are from last century, thus not a FWP.

It's not "21st century problems" though!

(What would you suggest as the alternative, out of genuine interest? I cancelled the voice-mail service when my phone provider started charging to check the messages. Landline phone already had a built-in answering machine but turns out it's infuriatingly crap)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

(What would you suggest as the alternative, out of genuine interest? I cancelled the voice-mail service when my phone provider started charging to check the messages. Landline phone already had a built-in answering machine but turns out it's infuriatingly crap)

my voip emails me a recording :shrug: as to my cell I didn't bother to enable voicemail. why would I waste my time checking message? people that I know txt or email me, or if it is number I know I call back. rest I don't care about.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004

Google voice. You can port the land line number to GV. Then you can get calls, messages, and voicemail on your cell phones (I am pretty sure it can ring multiples cells at once too). Does a decent job transcribing voicemail too and will send emails to the associated Gmail account if you wish. We set up a shared gmail account for calendar sharing across the family. A few years later, we move the house phone to GV and associated it with that Gmail. Works like a charm.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We still use an answering machine because it is the most effective method of defeating telemarketers.

The street sweeper is circling my block. The tank is busted so crap is pouring out of the back, basically depositing mud on the street instead of sweeping it up. It's gone around the block three times now and the driver doesn't seem to understand why the road looks worse with every pass. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It’s day three for my second Moderna shot and I’m pain free. My wife and I had a different experience. She got chills and a headache on her second day, however she felt good today and went to work. I will find out later on how her day went.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spacehead

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The bucket I keep my calcium chloride in for the past 8 years got a hole in it. Apparently it's been sucking up moisture in the early winter and has been slowly melting a bit and then solidifying. Now I have to go out in the cold, drive out to the hardware store in my nice warm car and get a new bucket and ice melt. Life is such a bitch ;).

For real first world problems. The Apple TV remote has no way of muting sound on it; and, I can't pause on some live TV shows. You vill watch de komercials dummkopf :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: highland145