What first world problem did you have today?

Page 670 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Ethernet cord got yanked out of the plotter again, and this time, it's totally fucked. Not really my problem, but it happened once before, and I miraculously fixed it at no cost. No such luck this time. I think the controller may have gotten fried. It all could have been prevented by me making a hole in the wall to run the cord, but my dumbass boss didn't want to do it, cause he's an Iturd kind of guy, where looks matter more than function. Never mind the hole in the wall could be fixed with 2¢ of spackle if stuff got moved, which it won't. Now it's probably a $1k repair. Just pisses me off that it happened.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ethernet cord got yanked out of the plotter again, and this time, it's totally fucked. Not really my problem, but it happened once before, and I miraculously fixed it at no cost. No such luck this time. I think the controller may have gotten fried. It all could have been prevented by me making a hole in the wall to run the cord, but my dumbass boss didn't want to do it, cause he's an Iturd kind of guy, where looks matter more than function. Never mind the hole in the wall could be fixed with 2¢ of spackle if stuff got moved, which it won't. Now it's probably a $1k repair. Just pisses me off that it happened.

Theres no bracket or brace to keep the cord from being pulled out?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
5 days of antibiotics, I'm still hacking up gunk and now my bowels are reacting "unfavorably" to the antibiotics. eff.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Now it's probably a $1k repair.
I was close. The part's actually $2.3k, and then you add labor on top of that :rollseyes:

I can /probably/ do the work, but I don't want to. I'm not familiar with these at all, and failure's really expensive. Screw up a computer, and it's only a $1k lesson at worst, with most of it being salvageable. A screwed up plotter is a $8k lesson.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was close. The part's actually $2.3k, and then you add labor on top of that :rollseyes:

I can /probably/ do the work, but I don't want to. I'm not familiar with these at all, and failure's really expensive. Screw up a computer, and it's only a $1k lesson at worst, with most of it being salvageable. A screwed up plotter is a $8k lesson.
Mount a metal five port switch to the wall, connect ethernet to switch then printer to switch. Et voila, next tripup will not be so costly.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Mount a metal five port switch to the wall, connect ethernet to switch then printer to switch. Et voila, next tripup will not be so costly.
It might not get fixed at all, and people will just have to sneakernet drawings to the plotter, This is a small office, so it's not a terrible burden, but it's harder than it should be, and would have been completely unnecessary if my original advice was followed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It might not get fixed at all, and people will just have to sneakernet drawings to the plotter, This is a small office, so it's not a terrible burden, but it's harder than it should be, and would have been completely unnecessary if my original advice was followed.

Water meet plotter

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I stuck a cardboard flat in front of the stove with the intention of sweeping the floor, putting it in the flat, then burning it in the stove. The cat decided it was a perfect bed, so now I have to leave it there for the foreseeable future.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I stuck a cardboard flat in front of the stove with the intention of sweeping the floor, putting it in the flat, then burning it in the stove. The cat decided it was a perfect bed, so now I have to leave it there for the foreseeable future.

You burn garbage in your stove?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Paper products. Paper has almost zero recycle value, so I might as well get a few btus out of it.

Huh? Of couse there is value in recycling paper, even cardboard. No need for bleaching = no chlorine.

The honecomb cardboard is made from recycled paper.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Huh? Of couse there is value in recycling paper, even cardboard. No need for bleaching = no chlorine.
No there isn't. It's trivially easy to recycle, but it isn't done. There's a glut of old paper that doesn't get used, and the cost of recycling it doesn't save much money over virgin pulp. Most recycling is nonsense from an economics perspective. Metals are the only materials with value. The rest gets done to hopefully keep from living on a trash pile.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No there isn't. It's trivially easy to recycle, but it isn't done. There's a glut of old paper that doesn't get used, and the cost of recycling it doesn't save much money over virgin pulp. Most recycling is nonsense from an economics perspective. Metals are the only materials with value. The rest gets done to hopefully keep from living on a trash pile.

What kind of third world country do you live in?

https://www.recycling-magazine.com/2018/07/06/paper-recycling-market-expected-to-grow-significantly/

Here is plastic recycling

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I live in the first world. Says right in your article most of the use and growth is in third world countries. They're used to making do, and don't require their printer paper to have eye raping brightness. Once they get beyond third world status, they'll be just like the US, and ship their old paper to ??? The moon I guess.

Not watching a video atm, but plastic is bullshit. "Recycling" is just greenwashng to make wasteful fucks feel good about their consumption. It's hard to recycle, and has limited use. The best way to "recycle" is not using it in the first place.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I live in the first world. Says right in your article most of the use and growth is in third world countries. They're used to making do, and don't require their printer paper to have eye raping brightness. Once they get beyond third world status, they'll be just like the US, and ship their old paper to ??? The moon I guess.

Not watching a video atm, but plastic is bullshit. "Recycling" is just greenwashng to make wasteful fucks feel good about their consumption. It's hard to recycle, and has limited use. The best way to "recycle" is not using it in the first place.

You skipped over the part that says EU pulp consumption is fifty percent recycled pulp.

PET recycling is hilariously easy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_bottle_recycling

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You skipped over the part that says EU pulp consumption is fifty percent recycled pulp.

PET recycling is hilariously easy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_bottle_recycling
Great! How about #s 2-7?

edit:
Was checking out your wiki page, clicked on plastic recycling, and this was in the introduction...

Compared with lucrative recycling of metal, and similar to the low value of glass, plastic polymers recycling is often more challenging because of low density and low value. There are also numerous technical hurdles to overcome when recycling plastic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_recycling

Wonder where I saw that before?

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Now that my town does recycling collection, I recycle everything I can. Paper, plastic, cans, cats, cardboard.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
There was a rare bird sighting a couple days ago. The report gave the location and referenced a specific bush to look for. The scene yesterday:
crowd.jpg
There are another fifteen people not in view. They were all focused on the one bush. I wonder if they know that birds can fly?

Reactions: Charmonium

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wonder if they know that birds can fly?
DSC08884%2BRoadrunner.jpg

Reactions: highland145